01-21-08, 05:17 PM   #1
tharyn1
A Defias Bandit
hacked

friday i was hacked, i take reasonable steps to protect myself and the information on my comp. after i logged to find my password changed i logged into blizzards password retrieval page and recovered my info. i the emptied the wtf folder and removed all adds. i the used ccleaner , superantispware and spybot s&d, i have since removed norton and replace it with comodo(firewall). and even switch to firefox. what else do i need to do to ensure this doesn't happen again or that i'm even clean? the only adds i have now are from here. and my scans found , malware-spywarenuker and trojan-hipoint.installer.
01-21-08, 05:41 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What antivirus software are you using? The fact that you removed Norton and have not mentioned any other is disturbing to me.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
01-21-08, 08:39 PM   #3
tharyn1
A Defias Bandit
spybot search and destroy, superantispyware and i just installed avira. and i think the last is what i am going to stick with
01-21-08, 09:46 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just to be certain (in case it was this particular Trojan) you can follow these steps:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14502
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-21-08, 09:47 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by tharyn1
spybot search and destroy, superantispyware and i just installed avira. and i think the last is what i am going to stick with
Neither spybot nor superantispyware (the latter of which I have never heard of before) are antivirus programs. I recommend going to freeav.com and picking up AntiVir.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
01-21-08, 10:01 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
or AVG (there is a free one for personal use).
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-22-08, 08:35 AM   #7
Quiveringfinger
A Kobold Labourer

AVG is a great program for freeware

01-22-08, 06:31 PM   #8
tharyn1
A Defias Bandit
i went with avira antivir, i had several trojans. i had for years depended on norton and spybot s&d and ccleaner weekly. i really thought i was safe. i like avira so much i'm going to get the upgrade. thanks for the tip
01-22-08, 06:53 PM   #9
Kardinalsin
A Fallenroot Satyr

i was hacked myself a few months back person that did it didht touch my account just changed the passy and removed my toons from my guild .

but yes run away from norton as fast as you can

i stick to NOD32 myself
01-22-08, 07:29 PM   #10
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Just wanted to point out a major distinction between viruses (and Antivirus software) and spyware (and antispyware software).

These two things are equally aggravating but very different problems. I'll leave you to google or wikipedia the difference but alot of programs will do one or the other, not both. Also there are many programs that "claim" to remove such garbage but actually put some in. So-called antispyware programs are notorious for this tactic. Always use something that is recognized and popular. YOU NEED TO HAVE BOTH TO BE RELATIVELY SAFE!

Suggestions for Antivirus: Symantec Corporate, Avast! (free), AVG (free), AntiVir (free)

Suggestions for AntiSpyware: Microsoft Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware.

01-22-08, 08:46 PM   #11
Katharad
A Defias Bandit
I ditched Nortons along time ago and picked up Kaspersky (KAV has issues with Comodo though). If you don't want to pay for a subscription I would go with AVG or Bitdefender's free version. Both SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D are good apps, I have used them both for years along with AVG antispyware (Ewido) as on demand scanners.

Below is a link of antispyware/av apps that you want to STAY AWAY from. Each one has notes on why it is considered bad. http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...e.htm#products

Last edited by Shirik : 01-30-08 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Fixing broken link
01-23-08, 12:56 AM   #12
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
i use Comodo Firewall + AVG Free Edition + SpySweeper

Spysweeper is the best anti-spyware in my opinion and as AVG doesnt take care of spywares... its needed

not had a prob so far with this combo...used NOD32 earlier and it was gr8 as well and ofc kaspersky
01-26-08, 05:21 PM   #13
Kardinalsin
A Fallenroot Satyr

SpyBot S&D > all

imho
01-27-08, 02:51 AM   #14
attackfrog
A Murloc Raider
I've been very happy with Trend Micro PC-cilling Internet Security- it's Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, a firewall, and some other cool stuff too. Several times it's caught things as I was downloading them, without me telling it to scan the file or anything. It also updates itself at least daily. It's not free, but it's worth it for me
01-27-08, 05:08 AM   #15
Maxian
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by attackfrog View Post
I've been very happy with Trend Micro PC-cilling Internet Security- it's Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, a firewall, and some other cool stuff too. Several times it's caught things as I was downloading them, without me telling it to scan the file or anything. It also updates itself at least daily. It's not free, but it's worth it for me
Im using it too and for what i've see so far it's the best non enterprise security suite. Ofc you need to pay for it.

MyUI
My WoWInterface Portal
01-27-08, 05:09 AM   #16
txxnnok
Order of the Horde

You can also use Avast Antivirus. It carries some real time protection with it, including scanning e-mail. It has caught a couple of virus's for me and removed them. Currently I have changed to Bitdefender (Internet Suite). It has a game mode and only cost like $50 for a year for 3 computers. No virus's since I have gotten it and I have a 14 year old daughter that loves to go to dangerous sites.
Also Zonealarm offers an good suite for about the same price and is very highly ranked. Pus I believe it has a game mode also.
01-29-08, 11:42 PM   #17
Tsurani
A Black Drake

OR you can click the Sticky at the top of this forum

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » hacked