10-28-07, 10:55 AM   #1
Rabscuttle of Executus
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
new addon updater for macs

http://www.wowmatrix.com/

This looks like it kills macaceupdater. I just found out about this on the apple website, says it was posted october 23rd so it is possible other mac users haven't heard of this yet. I just used it and seems to work nicely, although it doesn't make a backup folder of your addons when updating (I already sent a suggesting asking for that via the website).

EDIT: Got this response after asking about backingup addons:

Thanks for your feedback!

WowMatrix does indeed back up each addon's folder prior to
updating it.

These backed up folders are stored inside WowMatrix's data
folder, the location of which differs depending on your
computer's operating system and version.

We may also be implementing a "roll-back" feature in the
future, however we are still looking into its feasibility
as we do want to ensure that the app remains as easy to use
as possible.

Have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
Laurie @ WowMatrix

Last edited by Rabscuttle of Executus : 10-28-07 at 11:40 AM.
10-28-07, 12:28 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Where is he pulling the mods from? I notice that on the site the links are pointing back to the site. Is he going around and manually getting updated mods from the various sites and uploading them himself, or ? If he is, that's a violation of mod author copyright. If not, where are they coming from? This is the first I've heard of it, and given how many authors I talk to every single day, I'd think I'd know about a new site that they are uploading to.

Also, unless the authors are updating them themselves, how do we know that those are the most recent versions of X? Again, where is he getting them?

I have no problem with there being another site out there, don't get me wrong. I just want to make sure that no copyright is being violated and that people are getting what is advertised.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 10-28-07 at 12:30 PM.
10-28-07, 01:18 PM   #3
Rabscuttle of Executus
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I just found this by fluke on the apple website and got excited 'cause it seems to be way nicer than what macaceupdater currently is. I can't answer any of your questions because I have absolutely no idea. But I can say that the feature request I made was responded to very quickly, so maybe you should contact the site admins/devs or whoever. I don't have anything to do with the project so I dunno anything.
10-28-07, 01:26 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Oh, I know. The questions were basically rhetorical.
10-28-07, 02:20 PM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's not getting any addons from here. It's pulling some mods it seems from wowui.incgamers, but not bongos. And it's also not updated bongos from curse. It's getting everything from wowace though.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
10-28-07, 09:48 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Someone from wowmatrix posted about it on wowace this last week.
http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=9473.0
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-28-07, 10:02 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
After reading the thread, it is obvious that the person just doesn't get the clue.
10-29-07, 01:06 PM   #8
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
It's not getting any addons from here. It's pulling some mods it seems from wowui.incgamers, but not bongos. And it's also not updated bongos from curse. It's getting everything from wowace though.
Not true.. he was pulling my addons for wowinterface.com, without my permission.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
10-29-07, 01:12 PM   #9
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cladhaire
Not true.. he was pulling my addons for wowinterface.com, without my permission.
yeah, I read that.

All I need to say ahs already been said:
Originally Posted by Cairenn
After reading the thread, it is obvious that the person just doesn't get the clue.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
10-30-07, 06:38 PM   #10
Rabscuttle of Executus
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Cairenn
I may not make myself look particularly intelligent with this post but what exactly is the big issue? Permissions? Ad revenue? I don't feel very enlightened after reading the wowace thread. The program seems sweet and with some encouragement could be a great tool for wow addon users (at least I think) but some people seem peeved. I wanna know why.
10-30-07, 11:21 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
It's the same thing that gets authors annoyed every time a new site or updater or whathaveyou pops up. Violation of author copyright. Unless the author specifically states that you are free to download and do whatever you wish with their mod, no one has the right to do anything other than use the mod for personal use. That includes redistribution. And as someone who has been fighting on the side of authors for a very long time now, it annoys me too. Mods are copyright unless explicitly stated as not, from the moment they are written. It's the same as a piece of artwork or a book or a song or ... It is the intellectual and artistic property of the author/artist and has copyright protection. Period.

That is why you will never find any of our staff uploading mods ourselves, and if we discover users uploading someone else's mods, we delete the mod immediately and warn the user that they are in violation of mod author copyright and the rules of our site(s). If they do it a second time they are immediately banned from the site.

Last edited by Cairenn : 10-30-07 at 11:23 PM.
10-31-07, 03:16 AM   #12
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle of Executus
I may not make myself look particularly intelligent with this post but what exactly is the big issue? Permissions? Ad revenue? I don't feel very enlightened after reading the wowace thread. The program seems sweet and with some encouragement could be a great tool for wow addon users (at least I think) but some people seem peeved. I wanna know why.
My addons are my work, and as such I have the right to decide where they are distributed. They are wholesale ripping addons from other trusted websites, such as wowinterface.com and making money. It's clear from that thread that he's only interested in getting part of the "market", which just offends me greatly.

All the addons distributed by that program are ripped from another site, which solely exists through ad revenue. He seems to think "there's enough to go around", but when sites like wowinterface.com have worked extremely hard for me and other addon developers for the past three years, I consider it completely poor taste for someone to come along with this sort of attitude.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » new addon updater for macs