01-11-07, 06:14 PM   #1
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ping Direction Pointer

Just a fun little addon I threw together the last couple days, based on an idea that came up long ago when AQ20 first came out and we were learning Ossirian. What it does is display a big red arrow pointing in the direction of the last ping, to show you which direction it is. Note that your camera has to be positioned directly behind your character for the direction to be correct (since I can't get information about the camera angle as far as I know).

More information and download at:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Direction.html
01-11-07, 09:09 PM   #2
Diurnos
A Cyclonian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
thats one nice addon which saves a lot off stress, i see this coming up high in anyones need list for raiding.

Thanks for the addon.

maybe some idea's for a next version that you can costumize the arrow , like arrow position , color , alpha and such.
01-21-07, 05:40 PM   #3
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Added ability to use /pingdir xx,yy to ping towards outdoor coordinates, for when you're given a location and want to see the big red arrow pointing towards it
04-29-07, 02:33 AM   #4
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Having another look at the camera functions earlier today trying to see if there was anything that could be useful to program in smooth camera moves for filming in the game (besides FlipCameraYaw()), I found out you can use SaveView() and then use GetCVar() to retrieve the saved camera pitch, yaw, and distance.

One of the things that bugged me the most when I first wrote this addon was that your camera had to be directly behind the player for the arrow to be pointing in the right direction. No longer! Version 0.0.5 can now point the arrow in the proper direction relative to your camera position, though this is optional as it will eat up one of your camera preset slots in the process.

Alas, using SetCVar() and then SetView() does not seem to work, so no luck trying to program in camera moves that way /cry.
04-30-07, 08:12 AM   #5
Wikwocket
A Theradrim Guardian
I just wanted to chime in that this is a great AddOn, and the new camera compensation makes it even better. It is so helpful while questing and grouping, and the "gps" arrow combined with coordinates from websites makes finding stuff a breeze. Thanks for updating this, it's a really clever idea and I think it should be in the default UI!
04-30-07, 05:28 PM   #6
robthedude
Don't Panic

Yeah, I've not said anything because this is one of those rare addons that you can install and forget about

but I love it, especially now it displays the name of the person that pinged and points in the right direction no mater where the camera is, lovely

THANKYOU!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Ping Direction Pointer