04-01-06, 10:15 AM   #1
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Few WoW UI Designer Feature Suggestions

Hello,

I was wondering if you can add these features into WoW UI Designer:

Open Latest Project - An option will be under Open Project in the File Menu. This option will open the latest project you have been working on.

Cleaner XML - I noticed that the XML generated is pretty messy. Lots of unneeded things.
Code:
      <Layer>
        <Texture name="$parentTitleBorder" file="Interface\DialogFrame\UI-DialogBox-Header">
          <Size>
            <AbsDimension x="160" y="32" />
          </Size>
          <Anchors>
            <Anchor point="TOP">
              <Offset>
                <AbsDimension x="0" y="5" />
              </Offset>
            </Anchor>
          </Anchors>
          <TexCoords left="0.2" right="0.8" top="0" bottom="0.6" />
        </Texture>
        <FontString name="$parentTitleString" font="Fonts\FRIZQT__.TTF" text="MyTest UI">
          <Size>
            <AbsDimension x="140" y="0" />
          </Size>
          <Anchors>
            <Anchor point="TOP">
              <Offset>
                <AbsDimension x="0" y="-4" />
              </Offset>
            </Anchor>
          </Anchors>
          <FontHeight>
            <AbsValue val="12" />
          </FontHeight>
          <Color r="1" g="0.8196079" b="0" />
          <Shadow>
            <Color r="0" g="0" b="0" />
            <Offset>
              <AbsDimension x="1" y="-1" />
            </Offset>
          </Shadow>
        </FontString>
      </Layer>
I doubt all of that is REALLY needed. I don't really care about shadows. I made a little test ui with a label, 2 check boxes and that heading thing. It was about 8kb. I looked at a few other xml files that basically had that and more, and they were 9kb (i am talking about like 4 buttons, 2 radios, checkbox, multiline, single line input, scroll arrows, and 7 labels)

My last suggestion is basically what xbjim said in This topic about being able to have a template and it will automatically make the xml file and replacing ADDON with the name of the project. Think it would be cool to have.

Personally, I have released any addons yet (working on one now 56% complete! Just need to make GUI) and I don't know how its like to make the GUI by hand. But it seems to be cleaner than using a program. Don't get me wrong! I love this program, very cool and great idea. I learned a lot about frame XML from it. But I just think that the xml should be cleaner. A lot of users want small addons, cutting out unneeded xml will help do that. Also, as a developer, I don't enjoy scrolling down a long xml file looking for the frame I need to edit.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by robodude666 : 04-04-06 at 11:44 AM. Reason: fixed typo
04-03-06, 09:34 PM   #2
mercdev
A Fallenroot Satyr

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question

Cleaer XML - I noticed that the XML generated is pretty messy. Lots of unneeded things.
Could you please specify exactly which unneeded things are being generated? And messy how? Could you provide two snippets of the messy vs. your cleaned up code?
04-04-06, 11:46 AM   #3
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by mercdev
Could you please specify exactly which unneeded things are being generated? And messy how? Could you provide two snippets of the messy vs. your cleaned up code?
I forgot to mention that I am rather new to the whole xml system WoW uses. I am saying that it looks messy to my eyes, but I am not 100% sure that it is all needed. I may be wrong, and it all is needed. But from what I have seen, the file seems a bit larger than needed. As I said before, I may be wrong.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Few WoW UI Designer Feature Suggestions