06-30-09, 10:14 PM   #1
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Minion Problems/User FAQ (updated Aug 24)

This is a collection of information that I've gathered, relating to various problems currently plaguing Minion users.

Please remember, Minion is currently Beta quality software. There are known bugs!

Table of Contents
Windows
1) Minion refuses to launch! The installer worked, but when I try to start it, either nothing happens, or a program that is pretty clearly not minion appears!
2) When I go to http://minion.mmoui.com/ and click the "Download Beta" button, either nothing happens or it just simply doesn't work!
3) Whenever I try to install Minion, I get an error like "CreateProcess error=14001"!

OSX
1) Nearly all of my addons fail to install with "Internal Error!"

Linux
1) Simple overview
2) Updating fails, "FileNotFoundException: minion.jar"

General Information
1) Help, when I install an addon, it simply says "Internal Error!"
2) Grr! Minion detects addons improperly/installs addons I didn't have installed/does other funky things!
3) Minion installs, but simply doesn't work - I possibly clicked 'No' to the 'Give Minion permission to do this' dialog and need to reset my configuration.
4) I want to uninstall Minion!

Windows
1. Minion refuses to launch! The installer worked, but when I try to start it, either nothing happens, or a program that is pretty clearly not minion appears!

Explanation: Usually what happens in this case, is that another program has "taken over" the java application file extension (.jar), meaning that instead of Java trying to run Minion, another programs tries to work with the file. Things like winrar, 7zip, and Nokia PC Suite have been known to do this.

Fix:
Option A) Reinstall Java, from java.com. Click the big "Free Java Download" button and follow the instructions.

Option B) If A fails, uninstall every version of Java installed on the computer in question, and then try option A again. It is entirely possible to have multiple Java versions installed at once, which may or may not cause problems.

Workaround:
If none of the above has worked for you (or you need the java application files opened with another program), there is a simple workaround. Start notepad, by clicking "Start" "Run" and typing in "notepad". Copy/paste the following two lines into notepad:
@echo off
javaw -jar minion.jar
From here, select "File", "Save As". Be sure that the "File Type" at the bottom is set to "All Files". Then, save the file as "minion.bat" into the same place where you installed Minion. You should now be able to run Minion by double-clicking the new "minion" file, which has an icon that resembles two gears.

2. When I go to http://minion.mmoui.com/ and click the "Download Beta" button, either nothing happens or it just simply doesn't work!

This is caused by the Java plugin either not being installed into your web browser properly, or it simply not existing.

First: If you are experiencing this problem, try using a different web browser, if available. If you are using Firefox, try Internet Explorer. Note: if you install a new browser as a workaround, you'll need to reinstall Java to register the plugin with the new browser.

Second: Ensure you have Java installed. You can check to see if you have it installed by visiting this link. If the page says you do not have it installed, you can easily install by opening java.com and clicking the "Free Java Download" button.

Third: If you do have Java installed, but still cannot install Minion, try to reinstall Java, as outlined in the first question. The Java installation process registers a plugin with every browser installed on the system, which will then allow you to install Minion.

Workaround: If all of the above has failed, right-click and save this link to the desktop. Hold down shift, and right-click the file. Select "Open file with..." If you are presented with an entry called "Java Web Start" select that and press okay. If it doesn't, you need to browse to where ever Java is installed on your computer, commonly C:\Program Files\Java\. In here, you will either see one folder, or several. Select the "biggest numbered" folder you can see, and then the "bin" folder. You should then find "javaws.exe." Select it, and press okay. Press okay again to launch the Minion installer.

3. Whenever I try to install Minion, I get an error like "CreateProcess error=14001"!
This is because you do not have the "Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable" installed. Pick from the list below and install:

If you are unsure which to install, go with the first one. Once installed, your should be able to install Minion.

OSX

1. Nearly all of my addons fail to install with "Internal Error!"
This is a known issue. The developers are working to correct this problem and will be fixed in the next beta release. If you wish to know more please see Bug #244 on our bug tracker (requires registration).
** This should be fixed in the latest version.

Linux
1. Simple overview
Every linux-specific problem has related to simply being able to install and launch Minion, due to Java either not being installed, or it simply being too old. As long as Java is installed (consult your distribution wiki/forums/IRC channel for more information), Minion can be installed with a simple command:
This will download and run the Minion installer. /home/user/Minion is a good choice to install Minion to. Once installed, cd to the Minion installation directory, and run the following:
javaw -jar minion.jar
This will then launch minion.

2. Updating fails, "FileNotFoundException: minion.jar"
This is caused by updating after starting Minion in a "bad" way - which usually is simply double-clicking on the jar.

Open a terminal, change to the Minion directory, and then start minion from there. For example, if Minion is installed into /home/user/Minion:
Code:
[user@host ~]$ cd /home/user/Minion
[user@host Minion]$ java -jar minion.jar
Minion should then update properly.

GENERAL ISSUES
Help, when I install an addon, it simply says "Internal Error!"
There are numerous causes for this. Please either create a new thread here or file a new bug on the bug tracker, with your log file attached. Information on where to find your log file can be found here

Note: if the addon you are trying to update is packaged in the .rar format, Minion will fail. This is a known issue. Check to see if this is the case, please.

Grr! Minion detects addons improperly/installs addons I didn't have installed/does other funky things!
Please see and reply to this thread with the information asked for.

Minion installs, but simply doesn't work - I possibly clicked 'No' to the 'Give Minion permission to do this' dialog and need to reset my configuration.

Configuration data is kept in the same folder as the log file, which is detailed here. Simply delete the "config.xml" file and all of your settings will revert to defaults - allowing you to click "yes" to the security prompt.

Do not delete the entire folder. It contains your Minion modules.

I want to uninstall Minion!
This is actually pretty easy. All you need to do is delete two directories: the minion application directory, and the minion user directory.

The minion application directory is simply where ever you installed Minion to. The user directory depends on your operating system:

Windows: %APPDATA%\MMOUI\Minion\ (Yes, %APPDATA% can be typed into Explorer)
Linux: ~/.Minion/
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Minion/
Simply delete both directories and Minion is "gone." It does not use the registry or any file outside of the above directories.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?

Last edited by ScytheBlade1 : 08-24-09 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added linux update info
07-12-09, 03:54 PM   #2
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Thorunn View Post
Greetings!

I am using MMOUI Minion and I love it. But now I have a really interesting problem

I've installed Nokia PC Suite and it thinks that the Minion is a Nokia application. And when I want to install it (I had to reinstall my notebook a few days ago) my windows (XP SP2) wants to run it with the Nokia application installer and install it to my phone
What should I do now? I don't have any idea
Thorunn, I've run into a similar situation where my ZIP program (in this case TugZIP, not sure if this would apply to others), associated Minion's .jar file type with it's ZIP extraction functions. I would click the Minion shortcut, and TugZIP would open, instead of just Minion. I went to TugZIP's file associations list and made sure it wasn't the default app to run .jar files.

This may address your problem: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...age.uid=452187

From the looks of it, if Nokia PC Suite is opening Minion and asking to install it on your phone, you'll have to change the file associations of PC Suite. Not having used that program myself, I'm not sure where to tell you to go for that. There may not be a menu for that in your program. But the Nokia forum thread above also mentions that uninstalling both PC Suite and all Java versions, then reinstalling Java is also a fix. That may mean if you want to use Minion, you can't use Nokia PC Suite if it won't cooperate with .jar files like Minion.
01-16-10, 11:55 AM   #3
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
I got a question!

I just downloaded MMOUI Minion and its all good except one thing. When i search for AddOns and install, they're not in wow when i log in. Am i doing something wrong or what? Help plox!

- Umbrago
01-16-10, 12:25 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
1. Are you fully exited out of WoW when you install them?

2. Do you have multiple versions of WoW installed and/or is Minion pointed to the correct location?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-16-10, 12:58 PM   #5
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider

Yes wow is closed down.

But i got PTR installed on my computer, can it have anything to do with that?
01-16-10, 01:02 PM   #6
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
Where and how do i found out if Minion is set to the right location?
01-16-10, 02:08 PM   #7
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
I just found the "World of Warcraft Install Location" and its saved in C:\Users\Andreas\Documents
01-16-10, 03:27 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That should be pointing to your WoW directory.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-16-10, 04:07 PM   #9
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
So what do i do?
01-16-10, 04:16 PM   #10
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
i press browse, and then when i go into Interface and AddOns the addons i downloaded are already there.
01-16-10, 04:22 PM   #11
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
So, the wow directory is called? The excact name of the folder i mean
01-16-10, 05:09 PM   #12
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
If when installing world of warcraft you didnt choose a custom path the default install path on a PC is C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\

You can double check this path by right clicking on the world of warcraft icon and choose properties. Then on the "shortcut" tab the "Target:" should list the path to your world of warcraft folder. (Just hit cancel on the properties window once your done verifying the path).
01-17-10, 06:11 AM   #13
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
It says "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe"

is this right?

Im using vista btw, if it should help anything.
01-17-10, 10:31 AM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's the default install path for Vista.

That is where you need to point Minion to (minus the Launcher.exe part), because that is your WoW directory.

01-18-10, 08:20 AM   #15
Umbrago
A Murloc Raider
Just changed it, and now all my addons came up on list, so i think it works now
01-24-10, 01:11 AM   #16
astrogirl
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by ScytheBlade1 View Post

OSX

1. Nearly all of my addons fail to install with "Internal Error!"
This is a known issue. The developers are working to correct this problem and will be fixed in the next beta release. If you wish to know more please see Bug #244 on our bug tracker (requires registration).
** This should be fixed in the latest version.
Hi, does "** This should be fixed in the latest version." mean it should be fixed in the version available now, or fixed in the next upcoming version? I just installed Minion and I get the Internal Error on about half of the addons I have installed. (Example: Auctionator and Vuhdo both give me "Internal Error") If its the next update then I'll be patient and update manually, but if it should be fixed in the current one, then... I guess I should register on the bug tracker?

I'm on an iMac running snow leopard 10.6.1 if that makes a difference at all.
02-02-10, 07:19 AM   #17
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Bug 244 is fixed in the current version. Minion runs rather happily on (my) Mac now.
02-04-10, 05:06 AM   #18
Shello
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Minion shows me that i have to Update some AddOns.
But when i let them updating,then i have so much of Errors.
ImO Minion downgrade die AddOns?

Maybe a little fault in the programm or do i something wrong?
I dont know.

(sorry for my bad english ... -.-)
06-04-10, 09:58 AM   #19
y02mustang
A Kobold Labourer
Linux question

Not sure if this is the right MMOUI thread, but I seem to have a problem whenever I try to exit out of Minion. Whether I go to File > Exit or hit the X on the right-top corner, Minion will freeze (sometimes freezing most of my desktop as well) and the only way for me to get it to close is with a hard killall java command. Not even Ctrl+C in the terminal I opened it will work.

The command I use is here:

kill -9 `ps -ef|grep java|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'`

Is there a problem with the EXIT line in the code? Or is something in my system hanging it up?

I'm running 9.10 Karmic Koala and just updated the kernel today, I keep with all updates, Java is installed, etc. Minion works fine, it just doesn't want to close properly.

Thanks!
06-30-10, 10:30 PM   #20
Aiwabijin
A Kobold Labourer
I use Winrar and its pretty easy to just workaround the command, the notepad wont work with winrar.
1. Just right click on Minion.jar, go in to properties -> "Open with: winrar" click change. click browse go in to your Java folder, open jre6 - bin, then go down to javaw.exe and choose it. Click okey and you should be good.
2. Uninstall winrar, opens minion (it will work as soon as its uninstalled.) and then reinstall winrar and uncheck the box that say open file type ".jar" and from now on it will always open .jar with Java (unless you have more programs that opens .jar files)

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion Problems/User FAQ (updated Aug 24)