04-06-10, 05:39 PM   #1
Annyonne
An Aku'mai Servant
Compass minimap replacement?

There have been several games that forgo a minimap in favor of a compass / waypoint system. Borderlands is a recent example of this system. I found a thread about making a Borderlands UI from Nov. 2009, but they seemed to be focused on skinning every window of WoW (vendors, bags, talents, etc) and incorporating a skinned minimap.

I also recently saw FaceNorth appear on the "updated" list here, which gave me some hope that this concept hasn't died out (ala 420Compass and others).

Before I'm comfortable replacing the minimap, I'd like more information on the compass:

+ Tracking
Not sure how to detect local harvest nodes once the minimap is gone. A tracking marker would be a high priority.

+ Waypoints
Mimicking Cartographer or TomTom's waypoint arrow; integrated into the compass. This needs to support the most popular downloads: Carbonite - Questhelper - Lightheaded - [tour guide]

+ Party
I'm not sure how much this is actually used. Those more familiar with raid environments would be a better judge. Simple logic is that the minimap provides this function, so the compass replacement should, too.

If this already exists... Awesome! Where can I get it?
If this is impossible... well, at least I'll be less ignorant. Debuffs on nameplates was impossible, but danltiger may have found a way...

What do you think?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Compass minimap replacement?