A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ordered mine this AM.
Gratz, guys!
05-05-08, 08:47 PM   #22
Gazmik
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I object: the picture at the top of this thread is unrealistic. The book is way thicker than that. Also, the cover art needs more goblins.
05-06-08, 05:43 PM   #23
DSanai
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

LOL.

I ordered mine on 4-29. They just shipped yesterday and I'm estimated to get it by Friday. Just an FYI for those who also go with the super-saver shipping. At least it'll be before the weekend.
05-08-08, 09:27 AM   #24
schnoggo
A Fallenroot Satyr

THICK! Holy poop-on-a-stick!
Mine arrived yesterday, and I think they needed a crane to get it to apartment.
Over 1000 pages. Not carrying this around in the briefcase.

Hundreds of pages of API reference. Excellent sections on State Headers and Secure Templates.

I obviously haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, but it looks like the guys have done a terrific job here.

So far, the only shortcoming I see is that the API reference doesn't include samples for each call. That is understandable, because then the book would be over 2000 pages. :-)

the first appendix is Distributing Your AddOn, and presents a very fair view of the different addon hosting sites. (And, of course, points out the awesomeness of our favorite website.)
05-08-08, 10:12 AM   #25
robthedude
Don't Panic

Originally Posted by schnoggo View Post
THICK! Holy poop-on-a-stick!
Mine arrived yesterday, and I think they needed a crane to get it to apartment.

My package was on the counter in the kitchen when I got home from work, almost dislocated my arm when I picked it up!

OK, kidding about the dislocation, but I did spill my coffee a little. I was expecting something around the same size of 'Hacking WoW'... this thing is HUGE!!

Can't wait to get stuck into it ooh, cover art is awesome too

EDIT: and hey, if the programming thing doesn't work out, or I commit to memory everything in it, it'll make a superb doorstop / flower press / iron!

Last edited by robthedude : 05-08-08 at 01:32 PM.
05-12-08, 11:32 AM   #26
Arkive
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Looks like a pretty solid book so far (physically and content wise ). It reads *very* well up to Chapter 4 where it begins to get a little confusing to the less initiated, especially as they transition into OOP and metamethods. I took a few programming courses many years back, and have tried to digest some LUA in my spare time, and even I found this section to be particulatly hard to follow. We'll see how it goes as I move forward, but I hate advancing in material like this without feeling fluent in previous sections.
05-13-08, 02:26 PM   #27
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

I have an extra copy of this book - I pre-ordered 2 by mistake. If one of the site admins would like me to mail them the book (free of charge) I would be happy to donate it for a contest or whatever you guys would like to do with it.

Send me a mail with an address or create a contest of some sort and tell me who to mail it to after the winning person is determined.

I am not looking for 1000 PMs - please don't send me a mail unless you are a site admin.

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

05-13-08, 04:57 PM   #28
jkgohan
A Murloc Raider
Just picked this book up today! Its great, i read over 200 pages today alone at work (work at a movie theater during the week and see how boring it gets). Im still a little confused on some stuff, but hopefully after a few read throughs or skim-throughs ill learn how to do some of this stuff by heart. Still trying to figure out how certain player unit frames are the way they are but eh...im still a novice...

Great buy!
05-14-08, 03:31 AM   #29
DeRal
A Kobold Labourer
Hi, one question: Does this book already contain the changes of patch 2.4? (Combat Log etc.)
05-14-08, 09:50 AM   #30
ywwow
A Murloc Raider

Unhappy

To me ,a poor Chinese student,this book is much too expensive...I think I can afford it at a price of 70.00RMB,just as another famous computer science book,the Dragon Book,"Compiliers:Principles,Techniques,& Tools" sold in China.
It is a pity that I will miss this book.What I can do is praying the book publishing in China someday.
05-14-08, 10:10 PM   #31
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by DeRal View Post
Hi, one question: Does this book already contain the changes of patch 2.4? (Combat Log etc.)
Unfortunately, if we tried to keep the book aligned with whatever the patch was live at the time, we would still be editing.

That being said, most of the changes won't affect the material in the instructional parts of the book. You can follow the changes in Iriel's sticky, and we are working to get our online reference fixed up for 2.4.
05-26-08, 01:14 PM   #32
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just picked this up today, and it awesome. One of the most extensive and easy to read programming books I've ever come across.

Good job everyone

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
05-27-08, 08:19 AM   #33
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

I too am learning LOADS from this book.

I do wish I could get my grubby paws on a PDF version though - the book is so large and heavy and I do most of my WoW activity (playing and coding) on business trips.

/target "Business Trip"
/cast MisDirect

result - avoid Wife Agro

I realize the likelihood of getting a PDF is nil, because it would end up on the internet and people would steal it. But I do WISH I could get one. I would even pay another book fee to get it. Sign a waiver. Give up my first born. etc.

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

06-09-08, 09:26 AM   #34
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Has anyone managed to get hold of this in the UK yet (or Europe in general)? I ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk but it's not showing any kind of stock status and says it should ship in 1-2 weeks but I have feeling it's never going to arrive since Amazon obviously don't have it.
06-09-08, 05:45 PM   #35
robthedude
Don't Panic

Guernsey, Channel islands, took about 12 days

06-10-08, 02:12 AM   #36
aastarius
An Aku'mai Servant

I'm in the UK and and mine arrived yesterday morning. Postman not pleased with me as I ordered 6! (Friends and children wanted me to get theirs as I get free delivery )
06-10-08, 01:39 PM   #37
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Finally showing as in stock on Amazon, hopefully dispatched soon.
06-11-08, 03:08 AM   #38
Felas08
A Murloc Raider

Post Nice!

I'll Check it out VERY NICE!
06-16-08, 08:25 AM   #39
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Mine arrived, fantastic book, very much recommended.
09-21-08, 08:49 AM   #40
Disko
A Kobold Labourer
excellent material . Thanks !

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » World of Warcraft Programming