10-30-09, 07:26 AM   #41
svar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
If that's all you use it for, why don't you give Routes, Gathermate, and TomTom a shot? It will save you some overhead and those three combined will take less of a toll on your system while farming than all the features in Carbonite being run for no reason.
Im in the same shooes, and wil try this combo instead.
Im using an iMac 24" whid the radeon 4850 GUP and I get real low FPS if I run Nui and carbonite togeher.
Using one or another and my FPS is ok.

I used to use X-Pearl and carbonite together, but I like nui more than X-pearl.

Why I like carbonite is because it has the spanpoints for herbs and minerals, but is it that the gathermate_data package is for?
10-31-09, 10:24 AM   #42
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's exactly what Gathermate_data is. It's every known herb, ore, cloud, treasure and fishing hole in the game. Generally I see an update to that file about once every week or so.
10-31-09, 11:47 AM   #43
Lathbethnin
A Murloc Raider
Carbonite + SexyMaps' HUD = Win for farming herbs and/or ores.

That's the only reason for me to use this combination. I can play without them, but this combo is making farming actually fun again
10-31-09, 12:49 PM   #44
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't use carbonite because the core code is ugly, uncommented, not correctly tabbed(see below), not split in modules(I mean comon, the quest database is in the core file) and it's just too plain big. I use Jame's leveling guides, they are free and fast(tourguide supported).

Tabbed example:
Code:
function dummy(t)
    if (t=="something") then
        print("you entered the password!")
    else
        print("access not granted")
    end
end
James leveling guides:
Jame's Alliance Leveling Guide
Jame's Horde Leveling Guide
10-31-09, 05:55 PM   #45
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I don't use carbonite because the core code is ugly, uncommented, not correctly tabbed(see below), not split in modules(I mean comon, the quest database is in the core file) and it's just too plain big.
All of this was done intentionally by the carbonite team. It wasnt a matter of just being lazy or poor coders. They once explained the reason in the forums which your welcome to search for.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-31-09, 06:09 PM   #46
Ketevan
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I used to run Quest Helper because I found the visual presentation more appealing than Carbonite after having tried both. A short year ago, after some motivation of a friend, I attempted Carbonite once more. I had to give it time because the (as I called it) "wild colourings" made things bothering. I gave it a week and I have to say I developed a new profound love for it, including the colouring!

After hitting 80 once again, I mostly use it inside Battlegrounds, to keep an eye on who is where and what they're up to. Also works well to instantly report 12 AFK'ers in AV and see them leave the BG 2 minutes later! Outside of BG's, I sometimes still keep it on, it functions as a second minimap.

I couldn't delete it, even if I wanted to.
11-02-09, 02:24 PM   #47
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I don't use carbonite because the core code is ugly, uncommented, not correctly tabbed(see below), not split in modules(I mean comon, the quest database is in the core file) and it's just too plain big. I use Jame's leveling guides, they are free and fast(tourguide supported).
I use Carbonite (it's free) because it's not broken up into modules. I hate separate modules. It makes the addon folder ugly, cluttered, and it's hard to discern how many addons I'm really using.

Carbonite and Jame's Leveling Guide can be used together to compliment one another.

Last edited by Petrah : 11-02-09 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
11-02-09, 05:35 PM   #48
nessin
A Murloc Raider
I used to use Carbonite (even donated for the full version since this was before Blizzards rule change), but it just did too much. I'm someone who prefers an all-in-one solution, but only in one particular field. For example, in Carbonite all I really want is the quest tracker, minimap, and quest/profession/vendor locations. But the problem comes in when I don't want all the social modules, I don't want the warehouse modules, so on and so forth. And you can't remove them, only disable them or just not use them. Which means they still clutter up the configuration menu or your UI needlessly.
11-03-09, 06:08 AM   #49
Tincup
The Grumpy One

It is all a matter of preference. I have used Carbonite, Tourguide, Questhelper, and Cartographer w/ Lightheaded extensively and I found the Carbonite suited my needs the best for how I play. That's what it all comes down to, whether or not the addon suits the needs of the player in question.

In my opinion Carbonite is the most complete of the addons and has the most to offer a player. But that only depends on if the player intends on using the entire functionality of the addon. If they are looking for JUST a questing addon, there are many addons that do JUST that. Carbonite offers alot more than just a simple questing addon.

I implemented Carbonite in my UI. Check it out! http://www.wowinterface.com/download...creenONLY.html

Last edited by Tincup : 11-03-09 at 06:12 AM.
11-03-09, 08:08 AM   #50
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Quee View Post
It is all a matter of preference.
I agree Quee.

It's all a matter of preference.

Seems every 3 weeks or so a "What is the best = QH or Carbonite or [other]" thread comes up on the official forums.

And I've seen how every one of those threads goes down - all sides drag around their wagons taking potshots at the other addon's failings. "QH uses too much resources" One side will cry. "Tourguide is slow with updates" the other will cry. "Carbonite doesn't have pink ponies in it" etc etc

They all lose track of one very simple fact : At the end of the day you are going to be the person using it. Not any one in that thread or across the greater internet is going to be sitting down at your computer to use that addon while you are playing. YOU are the one playing so your the poor b*****d that gets to put up with it.

So it better be something that you personally enjoy using or it's soon going to end up in the Trash can.

TL;DR : "The best" doesn't matter for addons. It's what you enjoy using as it's you that has to use it while playing
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Do you use Carbonite?