10-16-14, 10:52 PM   #41
Kes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
{snip}

-- I really need the Warehouse (and, of course the wonderful custom Google maps!). Since I work mostly on professions, I can hardly play the game at all. It's too cumbersome with no pertinent, useful information provided at all by vanilla Blizzard. Thank God for Rythal.
I don't use the Warehouse too much other than the basic mouseover telling me what characters on that server have how many of a certain thing, but I, too, do mostly tradeskilling (professions), and gods above and below, do I miss the maps with all the nodes I've mined or herbed at already on any character showing up. GAH do I miss it like whoa.

10-17-14, 11:05 AM   #42
Laruae
A Kobold Labourer
Thanks for your hard work, I know its going to be a pain to update the mod, but we're all ever so grateful for your continued efforts!

10-17-14, 12:11 PM   #43
maplejar
A Defias Bandit
Smile Willing to help

Rythal - I'd like to volunteer to help out in any way you need me to. I work from home three days a week (Monday, Tuesday, and Friday), but even when I'm in the office I have access to WoW and in my downtime I can do what is needed there as well. However - I've never coded an addon before, so I'm not familiar at all with the language(s) used. I have some background with writing c++ (years ago, so I remember little of it) and PHP. I don't know if you're familiar with modding Infinity Engine games (the Baldur's Gate series for instance), but I also am familiar with the WeiDU language used to mod those games. My point is I'm not a total noob when it comes to the fundamental logic of programming - I'm just not familiar with modding WoW itself.

In any event - you can tell me what you need me to do, and I'll be happy to do it. I love Carbonite and would rather not play without it if possible. I'm not out to take this over, or step on your toes, but I am offering to help out in any way I can. Thank you for your continued work on Carbonite, and for keeping it alive and kicking when the original authors abandoned it.

10-17-14, 07:30 PM   #44
Worinz
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Yes, one is on the download page for it.

As an update on the addon itself, the one thing I was fearing is of course the one thing that has happened. I'm going to need to tear apart the mapping system because up until now maps all had unique names and it was by names that Carbonite tracked stuff in most cases. The few exceptions before now were instances so they had no impact, now we actually have zones with the same name so everything in the way it worked is no longer viable.
Its not possible to put some mapping function in that can determine the WoD zone and then map that to the relevant Carbonite zone ID? Seems like that would be faster than redoing the whole mapping system but, then again, I haven't seen the source code.

BTW thank you very much for updating Carbonite. I used to be a paid Carbonite user and was very unhappy when Blizzard changed their policies due to this addon. I'll go find that donate button that was mentioned to be on the download page.

10-17-14, 09:26 PM   #45
Haggisdog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up Thanks and can't wait

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those showing appreciation. I've donated and would be happy to assist if the remapping efforts if there was a way to divide up the work sensibly. Carbonite maps blows the doors off of anything out there and so do most of the other features that it has! Glad your real work is going well and hopefully you'll find some time in the not too distant future to work on carb!

10-17-14, 11:45 PM   #46
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Worinz View Post
Its not possible to put some mapping function in that can determine the WoD zone and then map that to the relevant Carbonite zone ID? Seems like that would be faster than redoing the whole mapping system but, then again, I haven't seen the source code.

BTW thank you very much for updating Carbonite. I used to be a paid Carbonite user and was very unhappy when Blizzard changed their policies due to this addon. I'll go find that donate button that was mentioned to be on the download page.
It may be possible to do something like that, but it would just be a bandaid fix / hack to get things working.... and I'm trying to avoid doing bandaid fixes since before I took over that's all carbonite was getting for a couple years.

10-17-14, 11:46 PM   #47
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Haggisdog View Post
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those showing appreciation. I've donated and would be happy to assist if the remapping efforts if there was a way to divide up the work sensibly. Carbonite maps blows the doors off of anything out there and so do most of the other features that it has! Glad your real work is going well and hopefully you'll find some time in the not too distant future to work on carb!
Right now there isn't really much work for remapping... that part will be relatively easy, it's just getting new code written to better support the maps.

10-18-14, 02:40 AM   #48
beastieboy442
A Fallenroot Satyr

Huh?

Thank you Vlaka ... I was in the middle of my own *tactful* reply when I saw yours ... so I'll go with the following reply instead.

Rythal ... we know Carbonite is something you adopted as your own and we appreciate it & you. I can only hope for Carbonite's return and your steadfastness in making that happen as RL allows. As a senior citizen, with the income issues that go with that ... I will donate if and when I can.

Deepphrozen (hopefully your name has nothing to do with the Phrozen Keep ... I have a lot of respect for the mod makers that were there) ... [sigh] ... if you don't appreciate Carbonite ... feel free to go away. I've been involved in rpg mods since the old Diablo days ... it ain't easy and guess what ... RL gets in the way. Some mod (addon) makers spent more time sorting and correcting well meaning contributors work than it would have taken to find the time to do it right ... and the main man/woman (Rythal in this case) is the only one with the whole picture on how & what Carbonite needs. So, if you think you'd be happy with the vanilla version ... enjoy and leave us to support and use Carbonite. And how the hell does *revoking* fit in that post? It made your post sound dumb ... what was *revoked*?

Personally I hate the vanilla version of maps, quests helper, etc ... Ive gone to Dugi and Atlas since the patch and .... I want my Carbonite back!!! Nothing compares or works as well for me.

Hope to see it sooner than later.

10-18-14, 03:40 AM   #49
topproto
A Kobold Labourer
Red face Rythal you gotta help me man!

Rythal im in deep crap here. My misus has been trying for years to get the headless horseman mount and this new patch drops in and screws up all her UI.

Shes asking me to set it all back up for her tonight so she can try to get the mount.

Shes deadly serious about me setting up her UI for her and i need your help man. She uses carbonite all the time and is really angry at me because it doesn't work any more!

TLDR
How long till we got something that works man?

Also you could do with putting this on curse like everything else is

10-18-14, 04:45 AM   #50
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Carbonite is already on Curse.com, with the Alpha version on CurseForge.com. Has been for about a year, now.

Carbonite on Curse.com

Carbonite on CurseForge.com

Man, my 61 year old mind is going south! On CurseForge it says that Carbonite was "created" there on January 4, 2011. Guess it's been up there for more than a year.
DOH!! Says it on Curse,com, too, but it's a bit more visible (to me, anyway) on CurseForge.com.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-18-14, 05:05 AM   #51
Shaddoh
A Murloc Raider
Smile

I'll stick to this thread instead of making a new one...

A short explanation of what's being worked on currently:

The old Carbonite had 2 Zone tables. One followed blizzards zoneID's (4 = Durotar, 9 = Mulgore etc etc),
and One used it's own numbering system (1000 - 1999 was Eastern Kingdoms, 2000 - 2999 was Kalimdor, 3000-3999 was Outlands etc etc)

The entire mapping system relied on and was using the 1000,2000 system while guides locations quest tracking etc was using the zoneID system. The two were tied together strictly by the zone name. So during the table initialization, it looked at zone 1001 saw Durotar was it's name and created links between 1001 and 4 in various tables.

With the new continent coming, that entire system no longer works, as it can't tell Burning Crusade Shadowmoon Valley from WoD Shadowmoon Valley. So I am working on converting the 1000,2000 system over to zoneID's.

This is also leading to some problems on it's own, as things like Battlegrounds were placed in 9000-9999 and through out the entire mapping system it would check if you were in a battleground by seeing if carbonites internal ID was 9001 etc, so I need to find new ways to check for instances or battlegrounds.

All of this is compounded by the fact work keeps dragging me from home so I don't have access to work on it. (3 weeks in wisconsin, then 2 weeks in ohio, the rest of this week in toronto) So the working version for WoD won't be anytime soon, hopefully i'll have it going before WoD launches but even that remains to be seen.

For those who can't wait until it's done, it was a pleasure. For those who can wait, don't fret, it's not abandoned and will be fixed to work before too long.
Your hard work has always been appreciated, especially by me. Carbonite is one of those mods that I've grown to rely on and has become an essential part of my WoW experience. I will wait as long as it takes and I'll gladly be a guinea pig for any Alpha/Beta releases that will come along. I work in IT as an SCCM/Windows admin so I completely understand about the professional life (including travel) and RL always comes first. Again, thanks for everything you've done thus far and what you'll do in the future. BTW, how can I donate to your project and know you'll receive the money? Thanks again Rythal!

-Shaddoh

10-18-14, 05:45 AM   #52
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shaddoh View Post
BTW, how can I donate to your project and know you'll receive the money? Thanks again Rythal!
Rythal mentioned earlier in the thread that there's a donation link on the download page (here).

10-18-14, 08:32 AM   #53
rinoa_tonks
A Kobold Labourer
Made an account just so I could say thank you so so so so much for keeping Carbonite alive! I'm making due without it until you get it fixed but I'm pretty sure I will be bouncing up and down once it's up and running again. WoW keeps trying to do everything Carbonite does and failing miserably. It's one of the 3 addons I simply have to have and one of the very few I've had since I started back in BC. Due to RL can't donate at the moment just as soon as I'm not on a ramen noodle budget you will be getting some financial love!

10-18-14, 11:16 AM   #54
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Deepphrozen just made the account to troll, and has been doing it since I took over the addon just ignore him. However if anyone does believe what he's saying...

If he can do or make better, go for it. If anyone wants to help with getting it working, i'm more then grateful for it, I am very willing to use git so multiple people can work on it, right now i'm listening to bugstaq say fatality on a constant loop, viewing the errors, seeing that hotspots is also using the 1001, 1002, 1003 system so those zones need changed and the function changed to call the proper zoneID's... wanna do it? be my guest just let me know when it's done.

I am not just sitting back on my ass watching, and everything I have done so far to carbonite was so other's could help if they wanted with keeping the databases / information up to date, and many people have been helping as they can.

10-18-14, 11:29 AM   #55
meecho
A Defias Bandit
Thanks Rythal for your continued work on Carbonite I truly appreciate it by making a donation for the cause

10-18-14, 11:37 AM   #56
HDSHIFTYMAN
A Kobold Labourer
Thanks for Carbonite, without it I WoW Isnt the same in the slightest. Hope its fixed soon.
Found this http://wowpedia.org/MapID searching threads. Hope it helps. Again, thanks for all your hard work.

10-18-14, 11:37 AM   #57
Gorganite
A Murloc Raider
Deepphrozen just made the account to troll, and has been doing it since I took over the addon just ignore him. However if anyone does believe what he's saying...

If he can do or make better, go for it. If anyone wants to help with getting it working, i'm more then grateful for it, I am very willing to use git so multiple people can work on it, right now i'm listening to bugstaq say fatality on a constant loop, viewing the errors, seeing that hotspots is also using the 1001, 1002, 1003 system so those zones need changed and the function changed to call the proper zoneID's... wanna do it? be my guest just let me know when it's done.

I am not just sitting back on my ass watching, and everything I have done so far to carbonite was so other's could help if they wanted with keeping the databases / information up to date, and many people have been helping as they can.
Well said Rythal. I just wish I was able to help but having no experience of any sort of programming. I just hope that there are some out there that are able to help you. Thanks for all of your hard work that you have done on Carbonite before and in the future.

One way to get rid of the trolls is just to ignore them and not respond. All the genuine people that appreciate Carbonite will support you anyway they can.

Keep up the good work!!!

10-18-14, 02:40 PM   #58
Smarties
A Defias Bandit

Really missing the carbonite map and node routing, pretty much the only thing I used the addon for!

It would be great to see an option to download that as a standalone addon when you update to WoD

Last edited by Smarties : 10-18-14 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense

10-18-14, 03:52 PM   #59
bossdarcie
A Murloc Raider

Yes, one is on the download page for it.

As an update on the addon itself, the one thing I was fearing is of course the one thing that has happened. I'm going to need to tear apart the mapping system because up until now maps all had unique names and it was by names that Carbonite tracked stuff in most cases. The few exceptions before now were instances so they had no impact, now we actually have zones with the same name so everything in the way it worked is no longer viable.
That sounds absolutely terribly complicated. Oi. I remember all the assistance you gave us when MoP came out. I'm eternally grateful to you and trust that you're doing your utmost best. <3 Thanks for all your efforts!!!

-BossDarcie

10-18-14, 04:34 PM   #60
Godless25
A Kobold Labourer
Old version wont load

anyone know how to at least load the outdated version? simply loading out of date addons doesnt seem to help at all

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch