02-08-07, 09:03 AM   #21
Dingleback
A Murloc Raider
Feature Request: Keybindings

Hi Mazzle and Co.

First, I'd like to congratulate you guys aon a well-designed and great looking UI compilation. I'm used to putting together a bunch of stand-alones and tweaking them out to fit my playstyle, but you have really done a lot of good work to put things together in a smooth way. I really enjoyed the set-up process, and I'm glad you decided to include my favorite tools.

That said, my main issue is with the keybindings and the auto-keybindings process. I have one of those mouses (sic) with a wheel, 3 main buttons (left, right, middle) and 5 additional buttons. And I have a very character-specific set of keybinds for each of my characters set up to take advantage of those buttons.

So I have a few feature request ideas:
1) A keybindings wizard--something that will allow me to remap my keybinds for each character, and do it in a systematic way rather than having to go a) clear all the keybinds in the BongoBar and b) set the desired keybinds and c) go hunting through the rest of the keybinds go remap anything that may have been doubly overwritten.

2) alternatively, I'd like to be able to set up my own class-specific keybind templates that go along with your class-specific bars. I'd just like the ability to make use of the class-spcific layouts without having to worry about whether F1 is going to target me or cast an offensive spell at the NPC guard I happened to have targeted. Don't get me wrong, I know how to go change the keybinds, but I bet there are a lot of people out there who map spells to various mousebuttons. With 5 mousebuttons and alt and ctrl I usually get between 10-12 different spells on the mouse.

3) The class-specific hint page is nice in that it tells you what some of the defaults are, but I'd like to see some sort of info page that goes into more detail about how/why some keybinding decisions were made and perhaps a list of bindings that are changed from the standard UI. For example, on healer classes, the F-keys remain bound to partymember targeting, but on DPS classes they're linked to spells? I'd just like a little more detail in the info to make that clear to me. After playing on my Shaman and switching to my Warlock I kept trying to give my buddy Unending Breath and ended up Life Draining the poor guy.

So, my suggestions weren't well formulated, but you see my problem. I'm basically one of those crazy people that has a very specific set of keybinds for all my characters...bt I'm also in love with the amount of customization you've put in for the class-specific layouts. I'd just like to see an additional layer of control for managing keybinds at setup time. Also, I'm lazy and I want you to do the work for me.

Anyway, great work on the UI design. I'll be testing it out over the next few weeks and if I find any problems with it I'll be sure to let you know!

Cheers,

Dingleback

02-08-07, 10:03 AM   #22
Vint
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Seraph787
I do recall this being brought up once before. The use of Trinity Bars instead of Bongos.

While I was once a huge fan of Bongos, telling everyone to use it, I have found Trinity Bars to be far far better imho. Have you considered reassessing the usage of Trinity Bars in any future editions of Mazzle?

Mazz will probably not be switching from Bongos any time soon. He's invested lots of time in getting Bongos to work properly with the Mazzifier and custom layouts.

02-08-07, 10:06 AM   #23
Vint
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Dingleback
Hi Mazzle and Co.

That said, my main issue is with the keybindings and the auto-keybindings process. I have one of those mouses (sic) with a wheel, 3 main buttons (left, right, middle) and 5 additional buttons. And I have a very character-specific set of keybinds for each of my characters set up to take advantage of those buttons.
MyBindings is what is used for the non-bongos keybindings. It does support per character bindings. You could go through and setup your bindings that way.

02-08-07, 10:39 AM   #24
Dingleback
A Murloc Raider
New suggestion

Originally Posted by Vint
MyBindings is what is used for the non-bongos keybindings. It does support per character bindings. You could go through and setup your bindings that way.

Thanks, Vint. I've been tinkering around a bit with MyBindings2 and I've managed to set up my bindings the way I like them on one character. Now that I know what to look for where, it will go more smoothly for my other charatcers.

I realized a few seconds after my post that I put the post in the wrong thread. I should have posted in the Bindings/layout thread.

------------
I have another idea for a completely different feature. I'm one of those users that plays WoW on different computers a lot. All of them are mine, but I have one at home, one at work, and one is a laptop. I want to be able to share all the information in my saved variables between play environments.

I'm only a dabbler in AddOn creation, but it should be relatively easy to make a little program that copies the necessary files from the WTF folder and "publishes" them to an FTP server somewhere, and when the game starts again, you can optionally "import" any saved variables. Info that you might want to save in this way might include TopScore data, gatherer data, keybindings, spell layouts, etc.

I envision 2 buttons with a list of checkboxes
PUBLISH BUTTON
--keybindings
--spell layout
--<addon1>
--<addon2>
--<addon3>
--<...>

IMPORT BUTTON
--keybindings
--spell layout
--<addon1>
--<addon2>
--<addon3>
--<...>

anyway, you get the idea. The UI should only need the URI of the files in question and the user should be able to provide the rest of the necessary information (username/password). It would be just like importing settings from another character on the same machine except you're grabbing it from another machine.

A lot of guild leaders or raid leaders require their raiders to use certian AddOns like BigWigs or KLH threat meter. It would be cool if the raid leader could configure settings for each of the required AddOns and the raiders could just import the settings when they log in.

Heh, part about making a good UI is that if people see a lot of good functionality, they want more and more.

I'd be happy to look at something like this as a pet project for myself, but I'm going to have to read a lot of docs first.

02-08-07, 11:03 AM   #25
mohhomad
A Defias Bandit
Clique

I installed MazzleUI last night and really enjoy all the features available. I was especially happy to see that clique was included. I'm having a problem with clique though, the area that responds to clique on the unit frames is teeny, I have large troll hands and poor panicky mouse control so when split second decisions have to be made I find it pretty hard to hit the exact spot I need to to heal someone. It would be nice if the area to click on were larger. Thanks for a great interface enhancement.

02-08-07, 11:33 AM   #26
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by mohhomad
I installed MazzleUI last night and really enjoy all the features available. I was especially happy to see that clique was included. I'm having a problem with clique though, the area that responds to clique on the unit frames is teeny, I have large troll hands and poor panicky mouse control so when split second decisions have to be made I find it pretty hard to hit the exact spot I need to to heal someone. It would be nice if the area to click on were larger. Thanks for a great interface enhancement.
Hmm, i tend to agree here. It would be nice if there was a "clique dot".

Its not too hard to learn where to click, but it does take some experimenting.

02-08-07, 11:41 AM   #27
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by coniferous
also, clique seems to have some issues with the drop down box templates. i couldn't get them to work, as soon as i put my own key bindings in it worked just fine. i read up on stuff and couldn't find anything.. but i could be very well missing something.
I don't know what you mean by dropdown templates.

Originally Posted by coniferous
I would also check and see if the user has enchanting before putting on the "disenchants into:" mod - its not hard to turn off, but it could also but put into the mazzify options
I think people who have any character who DE's likes to have that info on other characters, so I don't think that's a good solution. I'm pretty sure it's part of the "extra info and stats set" though.

02-08-07, 11:42 AM   #28
Olnir Orcsplitter
An Aku'mai Servant

I saw the UI and liked the looks... I figured I can do what I do to all the others and get it, plug in extras that I want, and enjoy the look. I can honestly say that is not the case. This UI is great and has just about everything you could want in a UI. My wife and I were using another compilation but I think both of us will be changing to MazzleUI. Now... the suggestions/requests. They are less put in something new for the most part but more of replace what is there (lower memory usage, better look, what have you...). Sense that sentence was a little wordy and convoluted, let me explain.

SCTD can be substituted using MikScrolling Combat Text. This is a cleaner looking combat text with as many options but less memory intensive.

AuctionFilter Plus may also fix some of the requests for Auctioneer. I know that for me it does what the parts of auctioneer does that I like (colors bids and unbid items, filters text, shows price per unit, etc.) and is also a generally lightweight addon.

The only other thing that I ask is to NEVER, EVER, EVER, get rid of the yell. I think that is hillarious... Come on people, it is a game and it helps break up the monotony. Not only that... as adults... what is there to be embarrassed about.

Last edited by Olnir Orcsplitter : 02-08-07 at 11:49 AM.

02-08-07, 11:46 AM   #29
joypunk
A Scalebane Royal Guard
Originally Posted by Olnir Orcsplitter
SCTD can be substituted using MikScrolling Combat Text
Can you tell us why it's better, aside from the stated "lower memory usage, better look"? Specifics are very appreciated.

02-08-07, 11:50 AM   #30
Olnir Orcsplitter
An Aku'mai Servant

Sorry, Joy... had not finished. First time I have posted links on this site. WHen I looked at the preview it only had the coding... hehe. FAST response... I like this more and more every time I deal with Mazzle. To me it has (a) a cleaner look with very easy to read text, (b) the less memory intensive the addon (especially if accomplishing the same thing as a more memory intensive one) the better and (c) it has a full explaination (via the readme file [comprehensive and professional]) of all of the abilities, settings, etc. Just give it a shot... I couldn't hardly live without SCTD when it was released until a month ago. Miks was added into my compilation I usually used and I just cannot go back to SCTD.

Last edited by Olnir Orcsplitter : 02-08-07 at 12:14 PM.

02-08-07, 12:44 PM   #31
Arkive
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Thernen
I would like to request that Monkey Quest is replaced. I like EQL3 but that is me.

Also I would like to see Auctioneer added and QuestAnnoncer.

Thernen
If we're throwing in votes, I would like to say that I find MQ irreplaceable. It's clean, condenses/expands by zone, color coding based on how close to completion you are...it's just a great quest mod. If I could only pick 5 individual mods to run, MQ would always be one of them.

02-08-07, 01:18 PM   #32
Filarun
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'd have to vote for MQ, also. EQL3 is an incredibly massive window that, unless I'm missing an option somewhere, doesn't support the cascading and other features that MonkeyQuest does so well.

02-08-07, 01:34 PM   #33
BigMichi1
A Murloc Raider

i love it, is so nice, everything is so easy to configure and it uses so only 46mb memory.

the only thing i miss is the GuildEventManager, because we plan everything in our Guild through this addon.
is something like mobinfo2 included, or am i to stupid to find something

02-08-07, 01:47 PM   #34
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
I don't know what you mean by dropdown templates.
Let me clairfy, by drop down templates I mean when you open clique from the spell book menu, there is a option box in the upper right hand corner. When you pull it out there are "Friendly Actions" and "Harmful actions" entries. I couldn't get those templates to work. Clicky-clicky-click and nothing happens.

The one i made on my own seemed to work.

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
I think people who have any character who DE's likes to have that info on other characters, so I don't think that's a good solution. I'm pretty sure it's part of the "extra info and stats set" though.
Gotchya.

Last edited by coniferous : 02-08-07 at 01:50 PM.

02-08-07, 02:14 PM   #35
TigerHeart
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Olnir Orcsplitter
Sorry, Joy... had not finished. First time I have posted links on this site. WHen I looked at the preview it only had the coding... hehe. FAST response... I like this more and more every time I deal with Mazzle. To me it has (a) a cleaner look with very easy to read text, (b) the less memory intensive the addon (especially if accomplishing the same thing as a more memory intensive one) the better and (c) it has a full explaination (via the readme file [comprehensive and professional]) of all of the abilities, settings, etc. Just give it a shot... I couldn't hardly live without SCTD when it was released until a month ago. Miks was added into my compilation I usually used and I just cannot go back to SCTD.

Actually Olnir, SCTD is much better, in terms of memory use/optimizations then MSCT ever could be in its current state. The reason for this, is SCTD does not actually do any parsing of combat logs or such on it's own! Pretty much all combat log parsing in the entire UI is done through a library known as ParserLib. This alone helps reduce overhead, memory consumption, and is way more efficient. The point of it, is it is able to 'parse' once, and use a dozen or more times.

By introducing MSCT instead, we are now parsing every single combat event a second time, which takes time, and memory. Parsing the combat log is not nearly as simple as registering an event and you are done... it takes specialized regular expressions, which have a very high impact on both garbage creation, as well as performance. The less of these you use, the better. While it may be better all on its lonesome, when dealing with a whole bunch of mods at once, SCTD is actually better then MSCT, because the only added overhead now, is actually displaying the messages received onto the screen.

One thing you may find, is everyone will always claim their product is 'new and improved', or 'more efficient'... but the questions to ask are:
Newer then what?
Improved over what?
More efficient then what?

Without specifics, these are just empty claims, tailored to get people to try their product.

Like I said, I'm not saying that MSCT is necessarily bad, but in terms of a UI compilation, it is simply not as good as using ParserLib based AddOns.

Of course, you are welcome to delete SCTD, download MSCT, and go on your own. That's one of the nice things about the UI, if there's something you don't like, simply delete it. Generally speaking, it is not going to break anything if you do (aside from the core libraries and the Mazzle mods). The only side effect you may witness, is if Mazzle uses it in a core routine (such as say, deleting one of the few existing discord mods, or perhaps one of the mods used to set an Efficiency Mode), then you may have issues.

If you read through the FAQ's and such, you will also see MazzleUI generally works very well with your own mods as well. Think there's something missing you really need? (Such as say... GuildEventManager?) Well, simply add it in! There's nothing saying you cannot add your own mods, in fact, Mazzle mentions in the FAQ's that the UI works just fine with most other mods out there! The fact is, GEM is simply not a thing that is even remotely required in all guilds, and if we start just blindly adding in new mods with extremely broad and limited uses (e.g. like GEM, which not all guilds use), then we start moving away from the comprehensive and 'easy to use' package that the aim here is.

That said, if you do decide to change the package somehow, by removing things, then please try to solve it on your own if something breaks. Mazzle has much more important issues to try to solve, such as fixing core bugs in the base release, so we can get yet another wonderful new version.

-TigerHeart

02-08-07, 03:30 PM   #36
washe2
A Defias Bandit
May I suggest exchange Mokey Quest for Fubar_Questfu.

I found it more flexible than Monkey Quest due that you can actually track the quest and you can have in the fubar and it will drop down the whole number of quests.. Also you can set it to track the quests per zone.

I like the 3D version of everything but for some users will be good to have an option for regular bars with a portrait.

Im a healer and it gets a little hard to get adjusted to track the 5 people spread along the bottom part.

Also I have been using healbot instead of clique, also a click to cast add on but I found it easier to use than clique..

I havent tested it yet with you interface to see how much more memory it will use.

02-08-07, 03:54 PM   #37
Arkive
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I really like the "I've got agro" notification that the main bar at the bottom gives me, but it would awesome if that notification only appered when I was in a party/raid.

02-08-07, 04:19 PM   #38
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

1) The bongos version that's included is ideally intuitive for bar creation (wish the real bongos did that). Unfortunately it's "snap to this layout" behavior makes it impossible to lay out buttons and make even the slightest modification later w/o re-setting all the positions. An option to turn off the "snap to default bar organization" would be ideal.

2) Hotspots are configured for addons that are included and they're terrific; however, not all mods included (e.g. xcalc) are useful for everyone or other similar mods may be the user's choice (e.g. notepad). An ability to reconfigure the hotspots would be wonderful -- even if it were limited to slash commands (since it would be difficult to anticipate every mod's opening characteristics) it would go a long way to making the UI tailorable.

On the other topic of recommended mods (though I'd prefer the ability to "plug in" mods rather than force a single one in/out) I'd also have to opt for QuestFu over the others.

3) While I'm at it, silly as it is: the mazzleconfig is a nice, easy place to find things so long as you use only what Mazzle included. When adding other mods, it would be nice to be able to include them into that interface ad-hoc (i.e. user provides mod-name, command to open configuration)

02-08-07, 04:34 PM   #39
TigerHeart
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
1) The bongos version that's included is ideally intuitive for bar creation (wish the real bongos did that). Unfortunately it's "snap to this layout" behavior makes it impossible to lay out buttons and make even the slightest modification later w/o re-setting all the positions. An option to turn off the "snap to default bar organization" would be ideal.

It's already in there, in the /bongos config menu, top option if I recall right... it's at least in the top part of the window lol.

2) Hotspots are configured for addons that are included and they're terrific; however, not all mods included (e.g. xcalc) are useful for everyone or other similar mods may be the user's choice (e.g. notepad). An ability to reconfigure the hotspots would be wonderful -- even if it were limited to slash commands (since it would be difficult to anticipate every mod's opening characteristics) it would go a long way to making the UI tailorable.

Interesting idea, however, in almost every occasion it's not as simple as it may seem at first. This also would require some sort of intuitive interface with it to configure things, some way of redoing the tooltips for what is where, and etc. By the time you are done, you've just made it much more complicated to figure out. We must remember not everyone is a 'power user'! That's one reason some of the aspects of the UI exist, such as the FAQ, and MazzleOptions.

On the other topic of recommended mods (though I'd prefer the ability to "plug in" mods rather than force a single one in/out) I'd also have to opt for QuestFu over the others.

I cannot accurately comment on this yet, as I have not used QuestFu, but in my experience thus far I have not found a replacement that does even near as good a job as MonkeyQuest, but I'd be willing to look it over anyways. One thing I have seen about most quest log addons, is they are either designed to be used with the blizzard default questlog, or were so simple they told you practically nothing at all, which is one reason I really like MonkeyQuest. It is designed as a complete and comprehensive replacement for the default Quest Log. I will take a look at QuestFu sometime though .

3) While I'm at it, silly as it is: the mazzleconfig is a nice, easy place to find things so long as you use only what Mazzle included. When adding other mods, it would be nice to be able to include them into that interface ad-hoc (i.e. user provides mod-name, command to open configuration)

The actual layout of the MazzleOptions is very complex. The only real way to add this sort of setup, is to manually program it in! Every single AddOn has it's own unique way of doing things. Most of the MazzleOptions actually set the configs the same way as the original mod does rather then depending on calling a function or such. In this way, it can avoid potential errors if say, you update the mod, and it changes that function name.

This is why there is pretty much no 'custom' way of adding these sorts of things. I won't pull words out of mazzle's mouth, but I don't see this happening, at least not right now though there may be a way to make it so AddOn devs could add their own options into the menu, but again, I'm not Mazzle, so don't expect what I say will happen :P.

-TigerHeart

02-08-07, 04:42 PM   #40
AstralWolf
Premium Member
Premium Member
#1: Wow instant messenger (WIM) very nice I think it would be a great addition to the addon compilation.
I still haven't explored to see what the tell management within Mazzle is like, but I just wanted to point out that Cellular is very similar to WIM, but is Ace2 based:
http://files.wowace.com/Cellular/Cellular-r27467.zip

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » OLD Feature Requests and All Other Suggestions OLD