04-20-09, 08:32 AM   #1
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Who dosnt want their mods hosted on WoWUI?

To whom it may concern.

For those of you who dont know I am Lothaer, one of the Admins on the WoWUI website and also a moderator of the forums hosted there.

It has been brought to my attention that some Authors do not wish to have their mods hosted on WoWUI either on their as they are or as part of a compilation.

Don't worry im not here to try and convince you to change your minds, they are your mods and you are free to decide where you want them hosted .

What this thread is all about is I would like any of you authors out there that do not want your mods hosted at WoWUI to please post in this thread listing the names of your mods or provide a link to your mods and if at all your mods are uploaded to WoWUI either under a false identity or in a compilation it will be a lot easier for me to check and either deny the upload completely or request that your mod be removed from a upload before it gets approved.

Also if anyone knows of a compilation that is hosted on WoWUI please post a link to it and ill will see that your mods are removed.

I will be checking this thread at least once a day for any new posts.

Thank you for your time

PS, could any of the moderators of WoWInterface please sticky this thread if you see fit thank you.

Last edited by tinyu : 04-20-09 at 09:00 AM.
04-20-09, 08:50 AM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Any of the ones in the list following this link:
http://www.wowinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=52096
04-20-09, 09:12 AM   #3
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Please remove http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=2390
04-20-09, 09:17 AM   #4
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Why don't people want their addons hosted there?
04-20-09, 09:24 AM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
Why don't people want their addons hosted there?
People over there hosting old versions, coming here whining and posting bugs.
04-20-09, 09:37 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Some people (not the authors of the addons) have been uploading old versions, as p3lim said. tinyu/Lothaer wishes to remedy that. Others prefer to just host at one or two sites and wish for users not to come across older versions on that site that they are no longer keeping track of.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-20-09, 09:37 AM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ah, I see. Yeah, no one should host addons except the author who created them.
04-20-09, 09:44 AM   #8
Lopeppeppy
A Theradrim Guardian

Kudos for this move, Lothaer. I know that policing the compilations will be hard, but it's very upstanding of you to make the effort and do so.
04-20-09, 09:47 AM   #9
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

Loathar, I love you.

WoWUI has bad reputation in my mind, this is a step in the right direction.

Personally, I'm really lazy with updating my addons now... it's becoming too much of a chore to have them hosted at all these different places which is why I think mine are outdated on WoWUI.

I've been thinking of taking them down because they are outdated and because I just don't have time to respond to comments there/keep them updated.

Any solutions for the lazy bastard in us?

04-20-09, 10:59 AM   #10
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

I know this is slightly off-topic, but as you know I at one point hosted my addons there. I enjoyed the community. The primary reason I removed my addons was because someone at your site was removing my support links directing users to here, WoWInterface for bug reports and such.

As an author, I really need to be able to centralize my support efforts. Are you able to answer me this question: Are you still removing links to other hosting sites from hosted projects?

If you choose not to answer, that is fine

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
04-20-09, 11:38 AM   #11
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Off topic posts removed. Use the correct threads to vent about WM. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22069

Don't take the OP's thread way off topic. Its not fair to them.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-20-09 at 11:42 AM.
04-20-09, 09:47 PM   #12
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Any of the ones in the list following this link:
http://www.wowinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=52096
i did a search of your mods and none have been added as a individual mod, im not too sure about any compilations though ill get to that though.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
mod status set to pending will be deleted shortly, if it still there tomorrow ill contact Rushster and ask him whats going on .

Originally Posted by Ackis View Post
Loathar, I love you.

WoWUI has bad reputation in my mind, this is a step in the right direction.

Personally, I'm really lazy with updating my addons now... it's becoming too much of a chore to have them hosted at all these different places which is why I think mine are outdated on WoWUI.

I've been thinking of taking them down because they are outdated and because I just don't have time to respond to comments there/keep them updated.

Any solutions for the lazy bastard in us?
update them fool :P

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
I know this is slightly off-topic, but as you know I at one point hosted my addons there. I enjoyed the community. The primary reason I removed my addons was because someone at your site was removing my support links directing users to here, WoWInterface for bug reports and such.

As an author, I really need to be able to centralize my support efforts. Are you able to answer me this question: Are you still removing links to other hosting sites from hosted projects?

If you choose not to answer, that is fine
There was a lot of animosity between the sites for a bit and the devs of wowui didn't like links to the other mod sites, how ever im pretty sure that the old dislikes will go away (at least that's what im trying to achieve) so posting links on your mod page at wowui to wowi or curse will hopefully be ok.

If it isn't ill try and see what Rush thinks.

Thanks for the support guys.
04-21-09, 12:54 AM   #13
Jumpee
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I wrote the addon (TotemAid) and did not update it because I felt Blizzard had negated it with a change to their interface. Some person named solanin edited it and claimed authorship. I would like to see it removed from your site please. Originally I did post it on your WoWUI web site but abandoned it.
http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=6632
04-21-09, 08:58 AM   #14
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Jumpee View Post
I wrote the addon (TotemAid) and did not update it because I felt Blizzard had negated it with a change to their interface. Some person named solanin edited it and claimed authorship. I would like to see it removed from your site please. Originally I did post it on your WoWUI web site but abandoned it.
http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=6632
i have removed your mod.
04-21-09, 09:21 AM   #15
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
update them fool :P
But... but... I'm busy trolling the forums or playing facebook games!
04-21-09, 09:32 AM   #16
tinyu
A Molten Giant

lol facebook games.
04-21-09, 09:33 AM   #17
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

Facebook games > wow my friend!
04-21-09, 09:40 AM   #18
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The site was once great when it was just ui.worldofwar.net. While I still go to the site, it's usually to comment on old, archived mods that people still long to be fixed and working. I am happy that not all of these old mods have been completely trashed. Curse and WoWInterface often remove these mods, and, well, sometimes it's nice to still have them around in case someone wants to pick up the mantle and fix them. My two cents.
04-21-09, 09:41 AM   #19
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I don't think any of my addons are uploaded there, but in case they are just bring them down.

Also, nice move Lothaer.
04-21-09, 10:36 AM   #20
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Spiderkeg View Post
The site was once great when it was just ui.worldofwar.net. While I still go to the site, it's usually to comment on old, archived mods that people still long to be fixed and working. I am happy that not all of these old mods have been completely trashed. Curse and WoWInterface often remove these mods, and, well, sometimes it's nice to still have them around in case someone wants to pick up the mantle and fix them. My two cents.
Yeah WoWUI does have a lot of old mods some of which havnt been updated in quite a while, in some cases over 2 years.

Sometime soon though i will be going on a major purge of the WoWUI mods and deleting any mod that hasn't been updated for WotLK, BUT i will be giving due notice for authors before i begin so that they can either update it or at the very least post a comment on the mod page stating that it does work.

Im pretty sure some mods even though they are very out dated they still may work (not very well though).

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
I don't think any of my addons are uploaded there, but in case they are just bring them down.

Also, nice move Lothaer.
Thank you for the comment, yeah none of your mods are in the WoWUI database but if they do pop up ill remove them.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Who dosnt want their mods hosted on WoWUI?