05-18-10, 10:34 AM   #1
jfiz
A Defias Bandit
unit frame suggestions?

I am looking for a unit frame addon, to have frames with the following properties.

The ones I've tried so far have either been too difficult to configure (either too much LUA, or too fiddly in the menus/overload), or have not been able to be setup as follows.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions for what to try. Here's my "wish-list" of features/setup for the frames:

frames to display:
player, target. ToT, Focus, party, raid, vehicle

general:
no portraits
healthbar larger (taller) than power bar
class-colors somewhere
standard indicators (pvp/combat/resting/lead/etc)
raid target icons
movable by dragging
debuff and aggro hilighting by border/background color
*simple* in-game config, or clear/easy LUA options

player and focus UF:
debuffs affecting the unit at the UF w/timer and count
buffs w/timer on me in the default blizz-spot by the mmap
cast-bar at the UF w/timer
(optional) my proc-buffs like SnB/revenge/slam at the UF

target UF:
debuffs I cast (only!) w/timer+count at the UF
(optional) buffs on target at a different position on the UF
cast-bar at the UF w/timer and spell name

ToT:
smaller, no cast-bar, no buff icons (debuff hi-light by color?), no power-bar. Basically I just need to see who the mob is targeting.

Raid and Party:
smaller than player/target/focus
class-color power/mana bars
(optional) cast-bar
debuff hi-lighting by color (background or border)
aggro hi-lighting by color (red) (background/border)
raid icons
*important* raid debuffs shown as icons or indicators
---

...I am coming at this from the perspective of a tank leading raids. I basically need a way to clearly monitor mana, debuffs, raid-icons on raid/party, debuff times/stacks on myself and focus, debuffs I apply to current target, and aggro-status for current target (via ToT), interruptable casts on my target, etc. So most of the above is aimed at setting the frames up that way.

I have tried configuring several available unit frame addons, with mixed but mostly failed results:

- pitbull4, shadowed, stuf = way too complicated/fiddly for me.

- the OUF layouts that I've tried are either too inflexible (mostly with aura monitoring/setup), show additional info. that clogs up my display, or require too much LUA hacking to configure.

- I don't like HUDS in general, they take up too much real-estate where the visual action is.

Back in the day, I used to use sage unit frames, which fit most of my needs pretty well for the main UF's, then I used perfectraid for raid-frames. Unfortunately sage hasn't been updated to work with the latest game version from what I can tell.

Again, I'd appreciate any advice as to what to try here. I realize I'm being fairly specific/picky, but in setting up my UI, the unit frames are the most important element, and also seem to be the piece that I struggle with the most to get setup comfortably.

Thanks!

//JFiz
05-18-10, 10:48 AM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lazy dude is lazy.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-18-10, 11:41 AM   #3
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I'm wondering if you are looking for a complete UI package or if you are looking for a unitframe AddOn that you will configure yourself?

I would recommend PitBull 3 (or PitBull 4). Very customizable and easy to setup. You can have a rockin' UI in under an hour.
05-18-10, 11:47 AM   #4
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Dunno what you're talking about, Shadowed Unit Frames will do all of this and actually isn't hard to configure, just give it some time. There is no such thing as a UF mod which will work out of the box in 5 minutes and do exactly what you want it to. All good UI designers will tell you that the UFs are always the hardest part to design and can take an hour or two, or half that if you know what you're doing.

Originally Posted by jfiz View Post
frames to display:
player, target. ToT, Focus, party, raid, vehicle
All ticked.

general:
no portraits
healthbar larger (taller) than power bar
class-colors somewhere
standard indicators (pvp/combat/resting/lead/etc)
raid target icons
movable by dragging
debuff and aggro hilighting by border/background color
*simple* in-game config, or clear/easy LUA options
Portraits can be switched on or off. Bar heights can be changed. You can colour the health bar or power bar by class. You can also use class colouring for pretty much any text tag (i.e. level, race, etc).

player and focus UF:
debuffs affecting the unit at the UF w/timer and count
buffs w/timer on me in the default blizz-spot by the mmap
cast-bar at the UF w/timer
(optional) my proc-buffs like SnB/revenge/slam at the UF
See about auras below. Cast bars are fine with SUF and can display casting spell, spell rank, target, time/max time, etc. Height can also be adjusted. Can be shown only when casting.

target UF:
debuffs I cast (only!) w/timer+count at the UF
(optional) buffs on target at a different position on the UF
cast-bar at the UF w/timer and spell name
See about auras below. Same thing for cast bars.

ToT:
smaller, no cast-bar, no buff icons (debuff hi-light by color?), no power-bar. Basically I just need to see who the mob is targeting.
All frames are completely adjustable in terms of height and width, which can be set precisely by pixel. Max width/height is 300, but max frame size is 150%, so this is essentially 450.

[quote=jfiz;188378Raid and Party:
smaller than player/target/focus
class-color power/mana bars
(optional) cast-bar
debuff hi-lighting by color (background or border)
aggro hi-lighting by color (red) (background/border)
raid icons
*important* raid debuffs shown as icons or indicators[/QUOTE]
Read above for frame sizing. Already explained class colouring for power bars. (Click link for plugin.) See about auras below. Raid icons included and can be moved, re-sized, etc.

Now, about auras. I really don't think you can rely on a UF mod to have all these features specifically for auras. SUF has several, such as changing the basic skin of the auras (from a selection of three: Light, Dark and None), changing the ordering of auras, how many auras to display on a line, how many lines, positioning/layout of auras, etc (cba to explain all). However, it will not do some of the more specific things you've asked for - that's why you have aura-based mods. SUF does better than most UF mods with auras anyway, but it's nowhere near as good as Satrina Buff Frames. SBF is like the auras version of SUF - a huge number of options and you can fine-tune literally anything, including adding filters to aura frames (e.g. making a frame only show auras you applied).

So basically, SUF + SBF + An hour or so = What you want.

Now stop being lazy. ^^
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
05-18-10, 12:23 PM   #5
jfiz
A Defias Bandit
ok....

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can see why you'd think I'm being lazy about this from my post... the way I wrote it, it probably sounds like I'm looking for a lot of little details/etc. also.

Hopefully this will help:

- I don't want to have to position/size every last little thing, especially not texts and the like (I could care less about those).

- my wish-list can be boiled down, basically to:
1) only show debuffs I cast on mob/enemy units.
2) only show debuffs affecting each unit, on friendly units.
3) show cast bars for the main units.
4) class-color something.

I know that Shadowed and several other UF addons can do those things, but the problem is, most of them require you to setup/decide on a bunch of additional settings (texts, tags, indicators, etc. etc.) that I could care less about.

In my own defense (re:lazy) - I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to configure shadowed, pitbull, and a handful of OUF layouts. Those all require figuring out and setting way too many options, and I have problems with multi-level menus/etc. that seem to be common to most of those.

This post is more of a last-ditch effort to ask for options I may have overlooked. If that makes me lazy, then so be it lol

Thanks Again for the replies.

//JFiz
05-18-10, 12:38 PM   #6
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I personally suggest Stuf. Stuf is real easy to config and you can get it looking the way you want to pretty fast. I had my unit frames looking the exact way I wanted to within 20 minutes being my first time using it.
05-18-10, 12:44 PM   #7
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I'm guessing it's a personal preference thing, but if I compared the amount of time it takes for me to set up a Stuf layout compared to an SUF layout, Stuf would take me about twice as long. There are just so many inconvenient bits and bobs which nobody really needs, imo. I mean, it's a good mod, but it's not to my taste.

If you prefer it, however, go for it - it actually has a ridiculous number of options, which is cool.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » unit frame suggestions?