08-18-09, 10:33 PM   #1
adventjay07
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Memory Usage is Insane

Ok so I tried raiding to night with JUST nUI and Omen and DBM... and by the end of the raid nUI was using like over 100MiB... it was crazy.. and my fps suffered greatly because of it....

before i get flamed.. im sure there is a thread addressing this... but i'll be honest with y'all.. im wayyy to lazy to look lol >.>...

but ne way... im wondering if this issue will be addressed in 6.0... b/c if it is ima have to wait till then to use nUI.. i cant stand having low fps.. :P

08-18-09, 11:07 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm, I have found a massive improvement with the 3.2 patch and have been able to reset my graphics to higher levels and have been able to raid 25 mans with little problems. And I heal, so I need to be on top of the ball. Yes, its not great but when you think of how much work nUI is doing in the background makes you appreciate it alot more.

The last week or two I have watched carefully and haven't dropped below 10-15% in Ulduar 25 or even VoA 25 with all that fire power around that used to drop as low as 3% at times. In my case it is my lowly 7800 graphics card. In the case of one of my guildies who does not run nUI his fps is due to not enough memory.

Perhaps, the combination of hardware limits and using the constantly busy nUI system is too much for your system to handle. Try tweaking down the graphic settings or setting the raid windows to party mode to lessenthe amount of active data while in 25 mans. You can select back and forth as needed.

Other than that I don't know what to say. 3.0 + nUI fps was fine. 3.1 + nUI and my fps was so bad I had to set every graphic possible to minimum except spell detail and still I was hitting 5% at best on 25 naxx fights. 3.2 + nUI and things are much better as I said above. As you can see in all 3 cases I was using nUI so clearly the fact that an improvement has been made is either due to the recent code changes in nUI by Scott or the fact that Blizzard messed up in 3.1 and fixed it in 3.2.

As to memory usage. What you have to think about is that nUI is like several addons. If you broke up nUI into several addons and treated them as separate memory pockets you wouldn't notice a problem. Likewise, if you add up all the various addons that nUI replaces you will reach high memory values there itself.

In my knowledge, and I will double check when I remember, my memory usage has not gone higher than 60mbs but perhaps it is because I automatically manually clear the garbage system which lowers that value significantly.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

08-18-09, 11:11 PM   #3
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

To my friend up there

Originally Posted by adventjay07 View Post
Ok so I tried raiding to night with JUST nUI and Omen and DBM... and by the end of the raid nUI was using like over 100MiB... it was crazy.. and my fps suffered greatly because of it....
Well have you try to trun to only group or single frame that helps me out on my healer along with healbot

before i get flamed.. im sure there is a thread addressing this... but i'll be honest with y'all.. im wayyy to lazy to look lol >.>...
JKJK

but ne way... im wondering if this issue will be addressed in 6.0... b/c if it is ima have to wait till then to use nUI.. i cant stand having low fps.. :P
yes its has but scott somewhere in here just to late to look for it

08-19-09, 04:16 AM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Step #1 -- if you haven't yet, try following the steps in this FAQ as that alone normally resolves a lot of FPS issues for folks... http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21716

Step #2 -- reducing shadow detail seems to seriously help a lot of people's FPS without impacting spell detail, etc.

Step #3 -- If you don't need the full 25 man raid panel while in combat (i.e... you're not trying to heal the raid) then use '/nui autogroup' to turn automatic panel switching off and manually switch your unit frame panel to the solo mode or party mode

I am aware that some people are having FPS issues with the raid panels and that is one of the key issues I am attempting to tackle with nUI 6.0

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-19-09, 06:39 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't understand. Why does this only affect a small handful of nUI users? Is there another common factor at play here? Like video cards, drivers, Service Packs, OS, CPU etcetera?

I have tons of addons, and my settings are just about at max... you can even see in my screenies that my shadows are turned on. I just don't have an FPS issue with nUI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_081309_171459.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	3190  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_081309_215003.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	3191  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_081709_202608.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	3192  

08-19-09, 07:26 PM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

It's my personal opinion that it's related to the graphics card more than anything.

08-19-09, 10:52 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I don't understand. Why does this only affect a small handful of nUI users? Is there another common factor at play here? Like video cards, drivers, Service Packs, OS, CPU etcetera?

I have tons of addons, and my settings are just about at max... you can even see in my screenies that my shadows are turned on. I just don't have an FPS issue with nUI.
I am sooo jealous of that 20ms latency you are getting and that massive fps. The fps I am sure is due to my lowly 7800 graphics card which hopefully I will be able to upgrade to 8800 when I've confirmed that my computer can handle it

I usually get 300 latency but I don't expect a great latency being on the other side of the atlantic.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

08-19-09, 11:27 PM   #8
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

I hate you with that 75+ fps i never get that high i need a new video card i got ATI Radeon xpress 200 which suxz balls anyone kno a better one

08-20-09, 04:36 AM   #9
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
It's my personal opinion that it's related to the graphics card more than anything.
Well, so far it seems it's mostly people with newer gfx cards. People complain that they replaced their old card for a new one and get worse performance (That might be because of what nVidia has done with the 8x00/9x00/GT2x0 series, re using old chips in newer product lines tho).

Might be that the gfx memory on board may be a factor. I have a 4870 with 512 mb and fps is way to low imho, while people with a 4870 and 1GB of memory seem to have 1.5 to 2 times the fps I get and have shadows up to full while I usually have them turned off (get 60 to 70 now instead of 30 or less while flying around). (Uncomfirmed, I have to believe their word for it)

Anyway... I'm tired of experimenting, I just decided to turn of shadows and enjoy the game and not worry about fps.. (And dx11 cards soon who knows.. Also drooling over 3D monitors at the moment...)

08-20-09, 04:50 AM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I do find that turning shadows way down or complete off is one of the things that seems to help FPS more than anything else for those who have the FPS issues. The second fastest way to improve FPS is to not use the 25/40 man raid panel unless you actually need it. Between those two, even those who have FPS issues with nUI should be able to get 40-60fps in raid.

I'm hopeful that the changes in 6.0 will resolve the issue with the 25/40 man raid panels for those folks.

08-20-09, 06:51 AM   #11
Seer
A Molten Giant
Shouldn't you be on your way to some fancy conference thing ?

08-20-09, 07:02 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm actually at work atm -- leaving here for the airport at 4pm... so have a while yet.

08-20-09, 02:22 PM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Well, so far it seems it's mostly people with newer gfx cards. People complain that they replaced their old card for a new one and get worse performance (That might be because of what nVidia has done with the 8x00/9x00/GT2x0 series, re using old chips in newer product lines tho).

Might be that the gfx memory on board may be a factor. I have a 4870 with 512 mb and fps is way to low imho, while people with a 4870 and 1GB of memory seem to have 1.5 to 2 times the fps I get and have shadows up to full while I usually have them turned off (get 60 to 70 now instead of 30 or less while flying around). (Uncomfirmed, I have to believe their word for it)

Anyway... I'm tired of experimenting, I just decided to turn of shadows and enjoy the game and not worry about fps.. (And dx11 cards soon who knows.. Also drooling over 3D monitors at the moment...)

We also have to take into consideration that your average person has no clue about how to match up their hardware. You can get the high end vid cards all day long, but if you have a low end processor that's slower than molasses then you'll never get decent FPS in game. The 4870's in particular.. you cannot run those cards on anything lower than a 3GHz processor. If you do then your FPS will be crap.

08-20-09, 11:54 PM   #14
Seer
A Molten Giant
Hm, maybe. Doesn't explain why people with icore7's and GTX285 report low FPS. (I can understand SLI / Crossfire setups having low FPS)

And doubt my system is unmatched as well;
Phenom2 X4-955 3.2Ghz
8GB ram
Main drive is a OCZ Vertex that also holds WoW.

Mobo is an MSI 790FX-GD70

So, "everything" is "top of the line" from AMD and should work nicely together.

IMHO WoW should be pushing 100 fps min everywhere.

Then again, places like Dalaran are hell for games like wow with people logging on or off, running like nutcases.. Making it hard for the game to keep everything updated.

Last edited by Seer : 08-20-09 at 11:57 PM.

08-21-09, 03:41 AM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Hm, maybe. Doesn't explain why people with icore7's and GTX285 report low FPS. (I can understand SLI / Crossfire setups having low FPS)

And doubt my system is unmatched as well;

Kinda funny because that's close to what my boyfriend has, and I get better FPS than he does. Personally I think it's the higher end GeForce cards being crap. Normally I'm a GeForce user, but after doing as much research as I did before purchasing the current setup I have, buying a Radeon was the best choice I could of made for myself.

Just so there is no misunderstandings here... my previous build was a Core 2 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 2GB of ram, and an 8800GT. I ran the game on both XP Home Edition and on several different versions of Windows 7. I had no issues reaching 60+ FPS in WoW and would probably still be using that machine if there wasn't something wrong with the motherboard. You don't need a high end computer to run Wow and get great FPS, but it helps to have at the very least hardware that is above minimum requirements.... and not be running on a lappy.

There is a reason I didn't purchase an AMD processor, and there is a reason I didn't purchase an MSI mobo.

As for the last comment you made that I quoted... that was not a personal attack at you. I was speaking in general.

Last edited by Petrah : 08-21-09 at 03:44 AM.

08-21-09, 04:16 AM   #16
Seer
A Molten Giant
ATI made some nice hardware with the 4000 range so I also switched from nvidia, nvidia is mixing their line up to much at the moment imho.

The DX11 cards from ATI look promising as well... close to 80 FPS with 2560x1600 in DX11 mode.. (Demo offcourse, not a game). Not bad for first gen DX11 silicon.

As for the last comment you made that I quoted... that was not a personal attack at you. I was speaking in general.
No worries milady, it wasn't taken as such.
Just adding a counterweight

08-21-09, 04:25 PM   #17
lairdofdeath
A Theradrim Guardian
ok all this talk about high fps is bugging me i get 20 fps just standing still drops to 16 if i run and any ware from 3 to 5 in raids i know its my vid card but im not sure if i can even get a better one or ware to look to see if i can i got one of the slim lines from hp im runing

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ @ 2.60 GHz
3 gb ram
128.00 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 that came with it

any help would be appetiated

08-21-09, 04:39 PM   #18
Ither
A Firelord

LOL.

Right now I got a EE8500 @ 4.3GHz, 6GB of Memory, GTX295 SLI at 720MHz core. With my 30" Apple Cinema Display at 2560x1600 with everything on and 8xAA I get 110fps in 10 man raids.

I've got a new system on the way that's a watercooled i7 975 EE, 12gb Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz, 4 SSD 120gb drives in mRaid 0, and GTX295 FTW in SLI.

WOW doesn't utilize SLI so it doesn't really matter. I'm expecting at least 130-140fps. My buddy has similar setup that pulls in 140 in raids.

Honestly, if Blizzard would did a little code writing we could see some sick numbers. I know in Crysis and FarCry my FPS are insane, as well as my game. I run full HDR.

08-22-09, 07:40 AM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by lairdofdeath View Post
ok all this talk about high fps is bugging me i get 20 fps just standing still drops to 16 if i run and any ware from 3 to 5 in raids i know its my vid card but im not sure if i can even get a better one or ware to look to see if i can i got one of the slim lines from hp im runing

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ @ 2.60 GHz
3 gb ram
128.00 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 that came with it

any help would be appetiated
That looks like it might be an integrated card. If that is the case then that's half the reason you get poor FPS. The other reason is due to the fact that it's a highly outdated video card. Integrated video cards are not really meant for gaming, and I doubt HP would upgrade it without charging you more than what the entire computer is worth.

08-22-09, 07:44 AM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dreadthill View Post

WOW doesn't utilize SLI so it doesn't really matter.
Who told you that? Wow most certainly does support SLI.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Memory Usage is Insane