03-12-09, 03:01 PM   #1
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A bit of nostalgia... TradeWars!

Are you ready for a blast from the past? Come visit Cogwheel's Workshop and try to dominate the galaxy!

Gameplay Instructions <-- This is a link... click it! :P

If you're unfamiliar with telnet or would rather not go through the trouble of setting up your own client, I've created a windows installer which provides a copy of PuTTY pre-configured to log into my TradeWars server with appropriate settings.

Game descriptions:

Gnomeregan - Banged 2009-03-04

This is a 5000 sector universe with 5000 turns per day (7 days bankable). Starting conditions are quite generous, including a decent amount of fighters, 10,000 credits, and a starter planet.

The universe itself was built with mostly default settings. There's a lot of room to grow with high limits on planet and port construction. The fairly generous turn limit makes certain scripts more appealing. Gameplay will likely emphasize exploration and growth over competition.

Clockwork Run - Banged 2009-03-04

This is a 500 sector universe with 500 turns per day (2 days bankable). Starting conditions are close to defaults with few credits, fighters and holds. Players do not start with a planet.

This is a compact but convoluted bang with more one-way warps than two-way. A much more intimate setting with challenging requirements means this game will encourage ruthless competition and more strategic gameplay. This is also a time sink in case you run out of turns in Gnomeregan

-----

For anyone using PuTTY on Windows, I've exported my settings to get all the ansi looking right: http://cogwheel.info/upload/files/Co...20settings.reg

Just merge this into your registry and it'll add a new session called "Cogwheel TW"

Last edited by Cogwheel : 03-20-09 at 12:33 PM.
03-12-09, 03:32 PM   #2
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

That's awesome. Nostalgia from waybackwhen I ran an oldskool BBS. I still miss LotRD, BRE... good times.

Thanks for that Cogwheel! I made a toon and will probably putter around raising havoc.

03-12-09, 03:44 PM   #3
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by Gemini_II View Post
That's awesome. Nostalgia from waybackwhen I ran an oldskool BBS. I still miss LotRD, BRE... good times.

Thanks for that Cogwheel! I made a toon and will probably putter around raising havoc.
Woot! Can't wait to see you in game (wowinterface needs a "devil" or "evil grin" emoticon )

I just upgrade to TW gold, so if i ever find a spare moment (not likely for a couple months) I may work on a wow-themed edit Aliens called Murloc Raiders? Win imo...
03-12-09, 05:00 PM   #4
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Not working for me in either Firefox or IE.

Same error in both just worded and shown differently

From IE :
Most likely cause:
Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.
03-12-09, 05:30 PM   #5
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Not working for me in either Firefox or IE.

Same error in both just worded and shown differently

From IE :
You need to use a telnet client.

Start->Run
cmd.exe
telnet remote.cogwheel.info 2002

Edit: if you're on vista, it doesn't install telnet by default. You can download a third-party program like PuTTY (though it takes a bit of tweaking to get everything looking right). Or you can use Programs and Features to add windows components to get MS's telnet. I'm sure others can recommend alternatives.
03-12-09, 07:12 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Gemini_II View Post
Legend of the Red Dragon... omg, I feel soooo old now!
03-12-09, 07:55 PM   #7
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Maybe someday I'll toss up a full-fledged bbs with a few other classics... for now though, i'll stick with the no-brainer dedicated TW server software :P
03-12-09, 10:45 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Do they even make the BBS software anymore? Gawd, its been forever.. I don't even remember the name of the software we used to run ours (my X and I). He was always such a huge fan of the Silver Surfer, so he called it Surfing with the Alien rofl.

Holy hell... I remember my daughter was just learning to walk back then.. she is now almost 15!

/smacks you for forcing me to remember just how old I really am.
03-12-09, 11:50 PM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
Woot! Can't wait to see you in game (wowinterface needs a "devil" or "evil grin" emoticon )
Same. And YES! Missed using an evil/devil grin MANY times.

Kudos for putting that up Cogwheel. I think I'm going to putter for a bit before I go farm some more gold in wow (switching professions is expensive... still recovering, but I love my Magic Carpets, lol)

You don't get older... only better... like fine wine :P

I've seen web version of LotRD and I think even BRE. Been awhile. I know I ran SuperBBS for awhile, but I think I switched to RA-BBS? Sound familiar? My whole board was dedicated to gaming. Back in the days of Fidonet, long before the current internet, lol. Good times... back in Jr. High.

03-13-09, 03:41 AM   #10
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Do they even make the BBS software anymore?
I futzed around with Synchronet before I decided it would be too much of a time sink to get it all working the way I wanted. It's open source and highly configurable so that's probably what I'll use when/if the time comes.
03-13-09, 10:03 AM   #11
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

For anyone using PuTTY on Windows, I've exported my settings to get all the ansi looking right: http://cogwheel.info/upload/files/Co...20settings.reg

Just merge this into your registry and it'll add a new session called "Cogwheel TW"
03-14-09, 12:08 PM   #12
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Not seeing enough WoWI people in game ^_^

It's really easy to pick up. I (please don't kill me) had never used a BBS before but quickly learned what I was doing and it's very addicting once you get into it :P It would be nice of Cogs wasn't my only nemesis though All he does is hide anyway.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
03-14-09, 05:01 PM   #13
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
I (please don't kill me) had never used a BBS before...
Good way to make me feel like a dinosaur...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-14-09, 10:13 PM   #14
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

If you're unfamiliar with telnet or would rather not go through the trouble of setting up your own client, I've created a windows installer which provides a copy of PuTTY pre-configured to log into my TradeWars server with appropriate settings.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A bit of nostalgia... TradeWars!