11-23-09, 09:53 PM   #1
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Addon Button missing.

so i don't have to type everything again:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=21254575514

blizzard poster is pretty useless. i've given up on him. anyone have any ideas?.. playing without addons makes me want to strangle puppies.
11-23-09, 10:05 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Can we get a screenshot of the inside of an addon's folder in your Interface\AddOns directory (showing file path/directory, etc., too)?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-23-09, 10:11 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It sounds like somehow you managed to move your addons folder if all of a sudden its done that. Or corrupted the files. But if your friends copy still has the same problem it is really weird.

I believe you said its been a day since you last played with no problems. Maybe recapping what you did computer and wow wise may help. Maybe something happened during one of those tasks.
11-23-09, 11:59 PM   #4
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Can we get a screenshot of the inside of an addon's folder in your Interface\AddOns directory (showing file path/directory, etc., too)?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...aok/Addons.jpg
looks fine to me, and it doesn't make sense because i literally didn't touch ANYTHING.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
It sounds like somehow you managed to move your addons folder if all of a sudden its done that. Or corrupted the files. But if your friends copy still has the same problem it is really weird.

I believe you said its been a day since you last played with no problems. Maybe recapping what you did computer and wow wise may help. Maybe something happened during one of those tasks.
i copied the folders and downloaded all new addons, as well as making a new interface and addons folder.
it was about a week ago now, but i can't remember doing anything special. chances are i was playing wow, stopped, got on the next day and started playing again. lol. but yeah. what. the. ****. i almost wanna pull the trigger and reformat my laptop here.. but i think my windows xp cd is a few states over.
11-24-09, 12:01 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Why is your addons folder in Documents and Settings?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-24-09, 12:17 AM   #6
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I used to play wow off my external hd, but after i started moving around with my laptop a lot more and the fact that i had a lot of room on my laptop i just moved it here.. happened to land in the my docs folder. had been playing out of that folder for about a month.
11-24-09, 12:18 AM   #7
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I see the error, rename the "Addons" folder to "AddOns"
11-24-09, 12:32 AM   #8
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i'm about to check that, i figured it wouldn't have mattered but i'll try it out anyway.

also, it might be around the time that the addons stopped working, i changed my folder settings to always show file extensions. not sure what that could have done, if anything.

edit: alas, no dice, changed the O and still no button.
11-24-09, 09:01 AM   #9
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Try delete(or backup) the interface folder, and play the game for 5 minutes and close it down the correct way. Now the interface/addons folder should be created, and try putting an addon there, ONLY ONE, and see if it works. Then start adding more addons slowly.
11-24-09, 09:18 AM   #10
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Sandoggg View Post
I used to play wow off my external hd, but after i started moving around with my laptop a lot more and the fact that i had a lot of room on my laptop i just moved it here.. happened to land in the my docs folder. had been playing out of that folder for about a month.
Are you sure when you launch WoW you are running the version in your MyDocuments folder? Or are you using a shortcut to perhaps another installed version?

Go into the WoW folder where you are installing the addons and then start WoW by clicking on the wow.exe there.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
11-24-09, 02:36 PM   #11
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I see the error, rename the "Addons" folder to "AddOns"
The capitalization does not make a difference, actually.

Make sure you have a path like: WoW\Interface\AddOns\*ADDONS HERE*

This is almost always a very minor and "d'oh!" mistake. Hope you can figure it out.
11-24-09, 02:46 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
The capitalization does not make a difference, actually.
Some operating systems are case-sensitive. Windows, generally, is not, though.

OP: take wow out of your My Documents folder and put it in its own directory (C:\Games\World of Warcraft or even C:\World of Warcraft) or just back into Program Files (there won't be any security permissions issues because you're on XP). While WoW should work from anywhere (including your external hard drive or a thumb drive) just try moving it from that location to see if it helps.

First, though, do what Maul said. Make sure you don't have two copies of WoW installed.

Also, to expand on what nightcracker said, try changing some options in Interface Options, visiting the auction house, bank, etc.

11-24-09, 04:19 PM   #13
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
Try delete(or backup) the interface folder, and play the game for 5 minutes and close it down the correct way. Now the interface/addons folder should be created, and try putting an addon there, ONLY ONE, and see if it works. Then start adding more addons slowly.
i've done this before, after the blue post told me to 'reinstall the addons' (whatever that means) i moved my interface folder out of the wow folder, hopped on my alt, exited, and there was no new folder. i made one and downloaded about 7 addons and put em inside. no result.

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
Are you sure when you launch WoW you are running the version in your MyDocuments folder? Or are you using a shortcut to perhaps another installed version?

Go into the WoW folder where you are installing the addons and then start WoW by clicking on the wow.exe there.
the shortcut leads to the wow in my docs. not sure why but i have a shortcut right next to the exe. i have tried both.

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Make sure you have a path like: WoW\Interface\AddOns\*ADDONS HERE*
the screenshot is above, and if it wasn't correct it wouldn't make much sense because as i said before, without tampering with any addons or anything, it went from working one day to gone the next.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
OP: take wow out of your My Documents folder and put it in its own directory (C:\Games\World of Warcraft or even C:\World of Warcraft) or just back into Program Files (there won't be any security permissions issues because you're on XP). While WoW should work from anywhere (including your external hard drive or a thumb drive) just try moving it from that location to see if it helps.

Also, to expand on what nightcracker said, try changing some options in Interface Options, visiting the auction house, bank, etc.
moved to program files and .exe still had no addon button.

took another screenshot, this time of my wow folder.. anything look fishy?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ddonfolder.jpg

Last edited by Sandoggg : 11-24-09 at 04:27 PM.
11-24-09, 04:21 PM   #14
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

this is how my directory is
in windows 7

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

addons
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

ect.. it has problems if you dont install it into a directory, documents is not a
good place.
11-24-09, 04:36 PM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The only cause of the AddOn button not appearing in my experience is due to the addons not being installed correctly somehow.

I see you have ACP in that folder. So, we will use that as an example.

1. Do a search for wow.exe. You should only have one occurence but let us know what it comes up with.

2. The addon folder structure is as follows:
\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\ACP\ACP.toc
\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\ACP\ACP.lua

You can replace the ACP in the toc line with any other addon you have. The folder containing the toc has to have the same name as the toc file name as far as I am aware.

3. Unless they have changed things since 3.1 removing or renaming the interface folder and then running wow into the game itself then exiting out all the way should create a folder. If you are not seeing that it might be because it is creating that folder somewhere else. Hopefully step 1 will identify that other folder. If not do a search for Blizzard_ArenaUI.pub which is one of the automatically created blizzard files and let us know what turns up with that search.
11-24-09, 04:47 PM   #16
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Sandoggg

The problem might be you're not running on the official servers.
realmlist.wtf and WSL.ini are (according to searches) files used in conjunction with private servers.

Private servers are not discussed here.

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.
11-24-09, 05:44 PM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Yourstruly View Post
Sandoggg

realmlist.wtf and WSL.ini are (according to searches) files used in conjunction with private servers.

Or it could be ... first item when looking for WSL.ini with Bing search. Now knowing realmlist.wtf is in all wow folders regardless of offcial / unofficial use, the question is could WSL.ini be anything else. Although the second item was to do with a private server so that would be a possibility too.

This application will prevent anyone from gaining access to your computer when you are running Windows 95/98/ME. It will prevent unwanted users from bypassing the login screen and forces them to enter a password.

Windows Secure Login is designed specifically for Windows 95/98/ME, although it has not been tested on Windows ME. Because it prevents the user from bypassing the login password it is ideal for these operating systems. Under Windows NT/2000/XP, this level of security isn't required since all users must enter a password in order to gain access to the system (unless there is no password defined in the case of Windows XP).
11-24-09, 05:53 PM   #18
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
this is how my directory is
in windows 7

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

addons
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

ect.. it has problems if you dont install it into a directory, documents is not a
good place.

changed this a bit earlier, wow directory is now in program files.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
The only cause of the AddOn button not appearing in my experience is due to the addons not being installed correctly somehow.

I see you have ACP in that folder. So, we will use that as an example.

1. Do a search for wow.exe. You should only have one occurence but let us know what it comes up with.

2. The addon folder structure is as follows:
\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\ACP\ACP.toc
\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\ACP\ACP.lua

You can replace the ACP in the toc line with any other addon you have. The folder containing the toc has to have the same name as the toc file name as far as I am aware.

3. Unless they have changed things since 3.1 removing or renaming the interface folder and then running wow into the game itself then exiting out all the way should create a folder. If you are not seeing that it might be because it is creating that folder somewhere else. Hopefully step 1 will identify that other folder. If not do a search for Blizzard_ArenaUI.pub which is one of the automatically created blizzard files and let us know what turns up with that search.
yeah, i'm really confused why it wouldn't have made a new interface folder when i moved the other one out.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...aok/search.jpg

Sandoggg

interesting.. well, i haven't played any private servers in a few summers, and i've been solely on live for the past year, so that isn't it.

can't talk much now but i'll be back in 20 mins or so.
11-24-09, 06:01 PM   #19
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
I know I shouldn't suggest opening Register Editor as you can mess things up if you don't know what you are doing but it would be interesting to check.

Hit your Start menu, Run and enter "regedit". Now find the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft

Are GamePath and InstallPath correct?

They should say something like C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe and C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 11-24-09 at 06:04 PM.
11-24-09, 06:18 PM   #20
Sandoggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Are GamePath and InstallPath correct?

They should say something like C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe and C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\
(Default) (value not set)
GamePath c:\wow\Launcher.exe
Installpath c:\wow\

looks normal? although that's not where my directory is now.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Addon Button missing.