01-26-10, 01:50 PM   #1
Roane
A Theradrim Guardian
FluidFrames and Vehicle Bar?

According to the comment thread on the nMainbar addon, the fact that my regular bars sometimes don't return (usually if I'm forcibly dismounted and still in combat) after leaving a vehicle has something to do with using FluidFrames and similar addons. The inability to restore my usual bars without a console reload has gotten me into trouble a time or two (as with the Black Knight fight) and makes me nervous about going to Wintergrasp.

Does someone know if there is a solution, either a fix for when it happens that doesn't require a console reload, or a way of preventing it entirely?

Barring that, can someone tell me how I can adjust the scale of the party pet frames (default UI) without a mod like FluidFrames? This is the only thing I'm using it for. (As a click (Clique!) healer, it's hard to hit those tiny little pet frames when the action gets heated.)

Thanks for any help.
01-27-10, 09:40 AM   #2
Roane
A Theradrim Guardian
Alrighty...

Firstly, I disabled FluidFrames and the vehicle bar situation seems to have gotten worse, not better -- even when I voluntarily jump ship, as it were, the bar isn't restoring correctly without a console reload. I really don't want to ditch nMainbar over this one little thing.

To my main point, though -- I have found the correct command for resizing a frame, and the correct frame names for the party member frames. Using a macro for now (though I may throw it into a mod later as a learning exercise), I am able to resize the frames appropriately. [i]However,[i] when I resized the second party member frame, it shoved itself up right under the party member 1 frame.

Can someone explain why resizing a frame (using SetScale) would make it move? Maybe if I understood that, I could figure out how to re-anchor it correctly.

And yes, I know I could just go back to FluidFrames and not have to worry about this. At this point, this is an exercise in understanding much more than it is something that I need to change.
01-27-10, 12:47 PM   #3
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This happens because scaling also "scales" the offsets in relation to the anchor. Depending on the kind of anchor.

That's why scaling isn't the necessarily the best way to change the size of an object/frame. It's better to change height/width, directly and to use anchors that make the most sense for that particular frame.

If you are comfortable with the default UI, you might consider taking a look at Neals Neav UI. It recreates and enhances the defaults UI look.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 01-27-10 at 12:50 PM.
01-27-10, 01:05 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
That's why scaling isn't the necessarily the best way to change the size of an object/frame. It's better to change height/width, directly and to use anchors that make the most sense for that particular frame.
Actually, scale is the best way to resize an object. Changing SetHeight and SetWidth does not change the size and location of any of a frame's children.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-27-10, 01:19 PM   #5
Roane
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Actually, scale is the best way to resize an object. Changing SetHeight and SetWidth does not change the size and location of any of a frame's children.
I did notice that scaling the party member frame also scaled the attached pet frame. If the party member frame is not parented to the overall ui parent, then one assumes that scaling its parent would achieve the desired effect. Is there a place to see a list of of default UI frames and their parent/child relationships to each other?
01-27-10, 01:39 PM   #6
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Not if you have anti-aliasing disabled and using 1px borders =s
01-27-10, 01:48 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What does that have to do with scaling the default UI? And someone who wants their thin little borders to be pixel perfect probably will spend much more effort and time to keep it so.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-27-10, 02:44 PM   #8
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Sure it scales the children and whatnot, too. But It happened more than once that exactly this is messing things up. Not only positioning, but also things you don't want to scale. It might be the easiest way, but not the best.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » FluidFrames and Vehicle Bar?