12-26-14, 01:03 PM   #1
noobinit
A Murloc Raider
Carbonite Notes import from old version?

Hi all,

is it possible to import chest locations (notes) from the old Luau file into the new WOD version of carbonite? if not, has anyone worked on chest locations that we can import? if not is there a way to collaborate with other players to enter the locations and then share the data?

thanks much
12-28-14, 06:15 PM   #2
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If I get time (which is extremely limited at the moment), I might make a notes plugin for this...

I'll start working on it when real live gives me a break and get back to you.... I don't even get time to play at the mo...

01-05-15, 08:59 PM   #3
noobinit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
If I get time (which is extremely limited at the moment), I might make a notes plugin for this...

I'll start working on it when real live gives me a break and get back to you.... I don't even get time to play at the mo...
I'm really excited about this possibility AND I believe i can offer you an exchange - or try to. Please let me know what you think:
The Twink Community is a very active and cohesive group. If we can get a plug in to import data ourselves, i could spearhead a project to create specific data sets such as: all sturdy treasure chests, all maplewood treasure chests, etc. Potentially other data sets as well depending on the interests of the community. If you the developers are interested in specific data sets - let me know.
01-05-15, 09:32 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by noobinit View Post
I'm really excited about this possibility AND I believe i can offer you an exchange - or try to. Please let me know what you think:
The Twink Community is a very active and cohesive group. If we can get a plug in to import data ourselves, i could spearhead a project to create specific data sets such as: all sturdy treasure chests, all maplewood treasure chests, etc. Potentially other data sets as well depending on the interests of the community. If you the developers are interested in specific data sets - let me know.
The addon is already capable of this, one of the first change to Notes was plugin support and you can see the sample of how to do it inside the API Sample folder that is inside the notes download.
01-07-15, 03:59 AM   #5
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
The API is really simple, but a bit more documenation is always helpful, so here goes:

Lua Code:
  1. Nx.Notes:AddonNote(folder,name,icon,id,x,y)
  • "folder" is your addon/sub-addon name, for filtering, e.g. "TimelessIsleTreasures"; all notes that belong together share the same folder name.
  • "name" is the unique name of the note, e.g. "moss-covered chest 1". A second Note with the same name will overwrite the first one.
  • "icon" is a number between 1 and 28 (search the NxNote.lua code for self.NoteIcons) - we can probably either add more icons or allow to introduce your own textures rather easily, by adding "or index" to line 157.
  • "id" is the mapid of the zone your note should be displayed to; a look at Carbonite/Data/Zones.lua may be helpful in finding the correct id.
  • "x" and "y" are rather self-explanatory.

Last edited by atl77 : 01-07-15 at 09:36 AM.
01-10-15, 03:56 PM   #6
noobinit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
The API is really simple, but a bit more documenation is always helpful, so here goes:

Lua Code:
  1. Nx.Notes:AddonNote(folder,name,icon,id,x,y)
  • "folder" is your addon/sub-addon name, for filtering, e.g. "TimelessIsleTreasures"; all notes that belong together share the same folder name.
  • "name" is the unique name of the note, e.g. "moss-covered chest 1". A second Note with the same name will overwrite the first one.
  • "icon" is a number between 1 and 28 (search the NxNote.lua code for self.NoteIcons) - we can probably either add more icons or allow to introduce your own textures rather easily, by adding "or index" to line 157.
  • "id" is the mapid of the zone your note should be displayed to; a look at Carbonite/Data/Zones.lua may be helpful in finding the correct id.
  • "x" and "y" are rather self-explanatory.
thanks for this information. unfortunately I am not competent even to follow these directions ! I need some additional guidance if you can. here is what I have tried:
* I added a test note and then tried to find where it was written in the files under C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes - and could not find manually looking through code using notepad.exe (also hoping that the file modified date would help)
* similarly i looked elsewhere under the \world of warcraft folder - and still could not find it
* copied the sample files from the \API sample folder to see if they could be imported and viewed in game.

SO i really don't know what i'm doing obviously. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
01-11-15, 03:10 AM   #7
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Let's say you want to create Chests notes:
You have to create a new folder in \Interface\AddOns\ named: Carbonite.Notes.Chests
Then create a new file named Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc containing:
Code:
## Interface: 60000
## Title: Carbonite Notes - Chests
## Version: 1.0
## Author: noobinit
## Notes: Description of the addon
## DefaultState: Enabled
## LoadOnDemand: 0
## RequiredDeps: Carbonite.Notes

Chests.lua
note: the values for Title, Version, Author & Notes are just examples and should be changed according to you're purpose.

And another new file named Chests.lua containing the data according to atl77 specification.
For example:
Code:
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 1",4,16,40,49)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 2",4,17,21,56)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 3",4,17,66,36)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 4",4,19,45,88)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 5",4,19,61,14)
P.S. The available icons can be found in NxFav.lua (for now the link will lead you directly to them, once the code changes you can find them by searching for self.NoteIcons).

BTW Can support for dungeon floors be added to the notes?

Last edited by nelegalno2 : 01-11-15 at 03:16 AM.
01-11-15, 03:58 AM   #8
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by nelegalno2 View Post

BTW Can support for dungeon floors be added to the notes?
dungeon floors are not supported for the moment overall, it has to be fixed in entire code

Greetings Samyonair
01-11-15, 11:27 AM   #9
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
thanks for this information. unfortunately I am not competent even to follow these directions ! I need some additional guidance if you can. here is what I have tried:
* I added a test note and then tried to find where it was written in the files under C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes - and could not find manually looking through code using notepad.exe (also hoping that the file modified date would help)
* similarly i looked elsewhere under the \world of warcraft folder - and still could not find it
* copied the sample files from the \API sample folder to see if they could be imported and viewed in game.

SO i really don't know what i'm doing obviously. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Your own notes are saved under [WOW]\WTF\Account\[your account]\SavedVariables\Carbonite.Notes.lua
01-15-15, 08:10 PM   #10
noobinit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
Your own notes are saved under [WOW]\WTF\Account\[your account]\SavedVariables\Carbonite.Notes.lua
Thanks so far i'm following and will see how it goes. But i'm not sure about the distinction you are making between "your own notes" and the notes folders/files as described by nelegalno2. thanks again !
01-16-15, 04:04 AM   #11
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thanks so far i'm following and will see how it goes. But i'm not sure about the distinction you are making between "your own notes" and the notes folders/files as described by nelegalno2. thanks again !
"your own notes" in this case is when you make a note in Carbonite using the map addon that's available only to you, what I described is a way to make an addon to share Notes with other users.
In theory you can try making the notes in-game and then transferring the ones you want from [WOW]\WTF\Account\[your account]\SavedVariables\Carbonite.Notes.lua to the Chests.lua file from my example but I haven't tried it and don't know what changes (if any) are necessary for the transfer.
01-16-15, 11:12 AM   #12
Kreelor
A Firelord

I see that my posts are being deleted without any explanation.
01-16-15, 11:44 AM   #13
noobinit
A Murloc Raider
Tried and failed - more help please !

Ok. so i'm going to document what i did as obviously something is wrong:

created folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc

in that folder created files: Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc and Chests.lua

Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc contains:
## Interface: 60000
## Title: Carbonite Notes - Chests
## Version: 1.0
## Author: noobinit
## Notes: Sturdy Treasure Chests
## DefaultState: Enabled
## LoadOnDemand: 0
## RequiredDeps: Carbonite.Notes

Chests.lua

Chests.lua contains the sample text you provided - i figured it probably would work maybe i was wrong and need to customize it to "real data"?:
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 1",4,16,40,49)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 2",4,17,21,56)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 3",4,17,66,36)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 4",4,19,45,88)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","Chest Name 5",4,19,61,14)

when i did this i opened notes in carbonite and found a listing for "my notes" (containing all of the notes i've added) as well as "note addons" which was blank - nothing under that headiing.

SOOO - what did i do wrong?
and while i'm at it, maybe i missed something important - please explain what is meant by "at l77 specification" that goes in the chest.lua file.

And thanks again. I am about to make a donation for all of your hard work now that the carbonite update has come out.
01-16-15, 11:47 AM   #14
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc
Should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes.Chests\Carbonite.Notes.Chests.toc
01-16-15, 01:04 PM   #15
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
The term "atl specification" means this post of me: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...78&postcount=5
01-16-15, 01:56 PM   #16
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
As ircdirk pointed out the folder name should be: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite.Notes.Chests without the .toc at the end. The rest is as it should be.

Here are 3 WoD examples:
Code:
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","WoD1",4,949,44.7,48.2)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","WoD2",4,947,30.329663460165,17.96813784283)
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Chests","WoD3",4,971,54.028268727431,13.940065217781)

Last edited by nelegalno2 : 01-16-15 at 02:51 PM.
01-24-15, 10:42 AM   #17
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

I AM working on this... But the data entry/database part is taking up a lot of time..

The chests are loot once per toon, so I'm including the quest/item id for use with IsQuestFlaggedCompleted

If anyone wants to help speed up the process, then could they write the database in the following format..

nodes[1] = { 947, 35280, 27.1, 2.5, "Stolen Treasure" }
nodes[2] = { 947, 34174, 26.5, 5.7, "Fantastic Fish" }
nodes[3] = { 947, 35279, 28.8, 7.1, "Sunken Treasure" }

nodes[1] = {Zone id, quest/item id, x/y co-ord, " note ",}

the "nodes[1]" need to be in sequence...
The entrys above are 3 real chests...

ANY help writing these will be credited and greatly appreciated..

01-24-15, 01:51 PM   #18
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
I AM working on this... But the data entry/database part is taking up a lot of time..

The chests are loot once per toon, so I'm including the quest/item id for use with IsQuestFlaggedCompleted

If anyone wants to help speed up the process, then could they write the database in the following format..

nodes[1] = { 947, 35280, 27.1, 2.5, "Stolen Treasure" }
nodes[2] = { 947, 34174, 26.5, 5.7, "Fantastic Fish" }
nodes[3] = { 947, 35279, 28.8, 7.1, "Sunken Treasure" }

nodes[1] = {Zone id, quest/item id, x/y co-ord, " note ",}

the "nodes[1]" need to be in sequence...
The entrys above are 3 real chests...

ANY help writing these will be credited and greatly appreciated..
Is there a reason you don't simply write somethings like

Lua Code:
  1. nodes = {
  2.      { 947, 35280, 27.1, 2.5, "Stolen Treasure" },
  3.      { 947, 34174, 26.5, 5.7, "Fantastic Fish" },
  4.      { 947, 35279, 28.8, 7.1, "Sunken Treasure" },
  5. }

?
01-24-15, 03:17 PM   #19
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

We cant import data from Handynotes? As doing twice the same work isnt good...
01-24-15, 04:25 PM   #20
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Well, we can import the data - but we'll either need to extract it from the modules, as it would clearly be in a different format and carry some extra lua code - or write some handynotes emulation - a carbonite.notes.handynotes module or something like that.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Notes Module » Carbonite Notes import from old version?