04-25-17, 04:24 PM   #1
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Masque question

I am reading up on Masque's API, and before I delve into writing an addon, I want to know if it is even possible in the first place.

Q) Masque says it doesn't support the default Blizzard UI. What I would like to do is skin the buttons around the minimap, both the ones provided by Blizzard and any buttons created via LibDBIcon. The latter probably is not an issue, but what about the former?

Q) If skinning the Blizzard minimap icons is not possible, what about hiding the default buttons and replacing with addon-created identically functional versions?

Why would I want to do this? Two main reasons:
  1. The Blizzard icons are not standardized by size, so they look weird. Even with no addons whatsoever, they look weird.
  2. Not skinning the buttons looks even weirder, given they don't match my UI's overall look.

I don't care about minimap icons that are created via customized code. Sure, having those look like the rest would be nice, but that is just way too much work for the reward.
04-26-17, 04:19 AM   #2
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

libDBIcon-created ones should be dead easy, iirc, as they're all uniform in construction.

The Blizzard UI ones... These are, to the best of my recollection, skinnable. Some (like the mail) are dead easy, others (like the group finder status) are kinda problematic -- doable but not exactly the most elegant. I'd suggest dumping out the blizzard interface files before you get started so you know what you're dealing with inside each button.

If you really want to do the Hiding/Creating... This is probably safe as the actions you can take from the Blizzard ones already have APIs for them and their condition state should be hookable if not Event driven.
05-12-17, 07:54 PM   #3
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Guess I'm a little late to the party!

In short: I'm not certain if the minimap buttons follow the same structure/templates as action buttons, etc. I know that the menu buttons are different as I've had countless questions pertaining to those. Certainly a first for minimap buttons, though.

You could theoretically recreate the existing buttons using a proper template if it turns out they're built differently. But as was mentioned, you may run into issues trying to recreate the animated buttons (Eg, LFG). It's certainly possible, though.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone uses minimap buttons. I just run a broker display and keep everything there.
05-13-17, 01:50 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you are interested in skinning the minimap buttons, why not check how Minimap Button Frame skins them? There is also an ElvUI plug-in that does it.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Masque question