07-22-08, 12:35 AM   #1
wingedkat
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
alts on multiple accounts

Now, I'm not a dual-boxer, though I have, in the past, tried having two alts from different accounts following my main around... I don't like it.

I would love to know if it is possible to have a mod that will remember all of the information, sort of like Fubar-skillsplusfu, Fubar-restfu, and Possessions, even for alts that are NOT on the account you are currently using, but that you have used on the same computer system. I have one install of Wow on my main system and I have a very bad case of Altitis...

The only thing I can think of to do is to copy the WTF files between the accounts... and so far I haven't had the nerve to do that, as I suspect there is a character cap of some kind written into those mods and I don't know what will happen if I hit it.

Any help out there? I'm not a mod programmer at all, though I bought a book...
07-22-08, 12:48 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Only way is to copy saved variables. No need to copy the whole folder, just the saved variables files for those addons. Note, that you'll need to keep copying it back and forth from account to account to keep up with the additions/changes. There is no way for the game to read across different accounts for settings.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-08, 12:54 AM   #3
wingedkat
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you, Seerah. I was afraid that was the answer. Is there a character cap of some kind built into most mods?
07-22-08, 01:02 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
nah, shouldn't be
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-08, 03:44 AM   #5
dafire
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
well .. theoretically it would be possible to create an addon that syncs the data of the mods while both accounts are logged in.
07-22-08, 11:23 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, but then you would have be logged into both of your accounts at the same time.

07-22-08, 01:02 PM   #7
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
too much work for addon devs to care of multiboxers, you already have a fair advantage , just take what is up to you.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
07-22-08, 02:44 PM   #8
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by dafire View Post
well .. theoretically it would be possible to create an addon that syncs the data of the mods while both accounts are logged in.
Hmmm, my fiancee and I are lazy sometimes, it would be nice to have such an addon for the two of us. I would assume it could be done since you can write mods that coordinate between both quest logs (like what all for X quest you have done).

How would you go about writing the sync for something like this? Would it be possible to make it only allow the syncing while grouped, I would assume so, but I fail at coding.
07-23-08, 07:32 AM   #9
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
I intend to implement this in Altoholic whenever I'll get more time, but until then, you can already do it given some manual work.. better than nothing at this point I guess

http://www.wowinterface.com/portal.p...=faq&faqid=315
07-23-08, 12:53 PM   #10
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Thaoky View Post
I intend to implement this in Altoholic whenever I'll get more time, but until then, you can already do it given some manual work.. better than nothing at this point I guess

http://www.wowinterface.com/portal.p...=faq&faqid=315
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking more of something that syncs rather than something you have to copy/paste, that way it could work in groups as well. If I could code well, I would look at the Lua for Guildcraft, quecho, backseatquester, since those are more of the type of syncing I'm thinking would work.
07-24-08, 11:25 PM   #11
wingedkat
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you all for the input. I've decided to simply move the 'Saved Variables' folder in and out of each account before and after I use it. Populated it yesterday with ALL of my characters and it is working like a charm. Thanks, especially, to Seerah.
07-25-08, 03:38 AM   #12
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking more of something that syncs rather than something you have to copy/paste, that way it could work in groups as well. If I could code well, I would look at the Lua for Guildcraft, quecho, backseatquester, since those are more of the type of syncing I'm thinking would work.
That's what I intend to implement, but with a busy IRL & preparing the addon for wotlk, I still have a lot to work on before implementing information sharing

Last edited by Thaoky : 07-25-08 at 03:48 AM.
07-25-08, 08:23 AM   #13
Etern
A Defias Bandit
You can use symlinks in Vista/XP to do it as well.
Basically like this:
Copy the contents of WTF account A into WTF account B
Create a symlink replacing WTF account A pointing to WTF account B

This should make it appear to the game as if you're using one account.

There are multiple programs that do symlinks and hard-links in XP/Vista. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which work. Just be aware that you can create some interesting screwups if you do it wrong.

This also works nicely for those of you who want to use those in game musicplayers but don't want to copy your music out of the original directory.
07-25-08, 10:47 AM   #14
Duugu
Premium Member

I have 1 main and 4 toons and use a simple vbs-script to sync the settings of my main toon with all other toons:

Code:
BasePath = "C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WTF\\Account"
ServerName = "YourServerName"

dim Source(1,1)
Source(0,0) = "MAINTOONACCOUNTNAME"
Source(0,1) = "MainToonCharName"

dim Targets(2,1)
Targets(0,0) = "1stTARGETTOONACCOUNTNAME"
Targets(0,1) = "1stTargetToonCharName"
Targets(1,0) = "2ndTARGETTOONACCOUNTNAME"
Targets(1,1) = "2ndTargetToonCharName"
Targets(2,0) = "3rdTARGETTOONACCOUNTNAME"
Targets(2,1) = "3rdTargetToonCharName"

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
for x = 1 to (UBound(Targets))
	fso.CopyFolder BasePath & "\\" & Source(0,0) & "\\" & ServerName & "\\" & Source(0,1), BasePath & "\\" & Targets(x,0) & "\\" & ServerName & "\\" & Source(0,1), true
	if fso.FolderExists(BasePath & "\\" & Targets(x,0) & "\\" & ServerName & "\\" & Targets(x,1)) then
		fso.DeleteFolder BasePath & "\\" & Targets(x,0) & "\\" & ServerName & "\\" & Targets(x,1), true
	end if
	set f = fso.GetFolder(BasePath & "\\" & Targets(x,0) & "\\" & ServerName & "\\" & Source(0,1))
	f.Name = Targets(x,1)
next

for x = 1 to (UBound(Targets))
	fso.CopyFolder BasePath & "\\" & Source(0,0) & "\\" & "SavedVariables" , BasePath & "\\" & Targets(x,0) & "\\" & "SavedVariables", true
next

msgbox "copy job done"
The settings of my main are completely independent from the settings of my toons. I carry out every configuration (addon, wow setting, whatever) only once ... for my main toon. Before the next log on I just run my copy script.

The script copies the complete wtf folder of my main toon (source) and the SavedVariables folder of my main toon account to to all other toons (targets).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » alts on multiple accounts