04-27-16, 01:00 AM   #61
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
@lightspark
Don't forget the learning process. Working with textures, Lua and WoW API will be a huge help, even if UnitPower is revamped.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
04-27-16, 04:07 AM   #62
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Decided to take a closer look at LFD role icons and such today, and it looks like that'll be a pretty interesting part of the project. Started out with the original LFD icons and decided I don't really like them much, then made some portrait borders that essentially mimicked those icons (shield for tanks, cross for healers, sword for damage). That honestly was even worse!

But I've got a pretty nice idea from looking at the portrait decor in Diablo 3. Most of them honestly have a LOT more flair than I would ever plan to have for this, but it's made me consider one possible approach. I could create three borders; a rough and blocky tank border; a sharp and jagged damage border; and a curved and elegant healer border. Give them some blue, red, and green flair respectively (or make that part class coloured), and make the iconic role symbol a part of the design somewhere. Then I could take that and make it show across all frames; the player frame, the party frames, and on player targets. It'd give a pretty immediate heads-up as to what that player would be expected to do, and make that a solid part of the frame.

Last edited by Folji : 04-27-16 at 04:39 AM.
04-27-16, 04:51 AM   #63
Yukyuk
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, can't wait to see what you come up now.

I bet you work in advertising.
Youre posts are a great commercial campaing for your design
04-27-16, 05:30 AM   #64
coldfiredi
wildstar, and spartanui, is that you??? they look sooooo similar, but the flair on this ui is dam sexy!. id be willing to give this a shot, depending on the features that are available.
04-27-16, 06:16 AM   #65
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by coldfiredi View Post
wildstar, and spartanui, is that you??? they look sooooo similar, but the flair on this ui is dam sexy!. id be willing to give this a shot, depending on the features that are available.
Featureset is honestly going to be pretty up in core stuff to begin with! Might expand with other things later on but for starters it's just going to be core gameplay features.
04-27-16, 06:52 PM   #66
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by zork View Post
@lightspark
Don't forget the learning process. Working with textures, Lua and WoW API will be a huge help, even if UnitPower is revamped.
Yeah, makes sense

I said what I said, cuz I've seen people investing quite much time into something and then getting "hurt", cuz it was removed/revamped/etc. Wasn't sure if that was the case here But Folji's reply made things quite clear
04-27-16, 06:57 PM   #67
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
But I've got a pretty nice idea from looking at the portrait decor in Diablo 3. Most of them honestly have a LOT more flair than I would ever plan to have for this, but it's made me consider one possible approach. I could create three borders; a rough and blocky tank border; a sharp and jagged damage border; and a curved and elegant healer border. Give them some blue, red, and green flair respectively (or make that part class coloured), and make the iconic role symbol a part of the design somewhere. Then I could take that and make it show across all frames; the player frame, the party frames, and on player targets. It'd give a pretty immediate heads-up as to what that player would be expected to do, and make that a solid part of the frame.
This approach works extremely well with art-heavy UIs. But there's always a chance to make things too bulky, and then back to square one Happened to me few times in the past, hehe... Be careful

Last edited by lightspark : 04-27-16 at 07:04 PM.
04-28-16, 12:11 PM   #68
Thubz
An Aku'mai Servant

Hey,

its not my thing but it sure does look good, nice texture work and unitframes.
04-28-16, 07:52 PM   #69
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Don't forget the learning process. Working with textures, Lua and WoW API will be a huge help [sic]
I concur. I am working on a new user interface replacement, shamelessly called MyrroUI. Since a great many things will change in Legion, I am more interested in building something up now rather than waiting until the end of August.

That way I will iron out major design flaws first, and can worry about API changes later. Especially since the changes aren't final currently, and certainly aren't well documented. Plus I am not even sure if I'll play Legion. I'm not even playing WoD, and using the Starter Edition on low level toons to bug fix and design.

So yeah, I will miss my first WoW expansion beta test since TBC.
04-29-16, 08:30 AM   #70
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Still trying to get this thing done this week. Been drawing and redrawing the class role frames, but I think I'm on to something now that'd be pretty cool!

So that's tank, healer, and DPS respectively from left to right. It'll just be a subtle edge flair, most likely, when I've got the finished work in the game. With a little bit of class glow and the role icon following the standard blue, green, and red colour coding.

Just have to actually render them now, and then decide whether they're subtle enough to look good as a regular thing on the player and target frames, or if I should add in that as an optional feature. Will just have to try it to know! And now that I got the design down, the road from here is not all that long.
04-29-16, 12:32 PM   #71
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Really nice work! Can't wait to see it rendered and implemented in game.

Looking forward to the final product!
04-29-16, 02:56 PM   #72
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So after rendering and implementing it, this is how it turned out.

I honestly think it works pretty alright! It's not too noisy, they're similar but still visibly distinct, and the clear colour-coded role symbol leaves no doubt to be had. I had one thought to make it permanently show across unit frames as per active spec, but my biggest hurdle there is that I'd have to figure out a good way to determine spec for hostile players. And inspecting hostile players is a no-go, right?

Still, as far as tank/healer/damage role icons go, I think it's a pretty swanky solution.
04-29-16, 06:02 PM   #73
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Love the way it looks on party frames, but I'm not the biggest fan of it on the character frame.

It feels... redundant, I guess?
04-29-16, 06:21 PM   #74
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
my biggest hurdle there is that I'd have to figure out a good way to determine spec for hostile players.
Check out Healers Must Die! to find out how it figures out the healer spec.

I'm guessing a small number of commonly used class or spec specific spells are cached, and if they are used in combat, then enemy1 is a healer.
04-30-16, 05:08 AM   #75
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Almost done with it all now, really! Just gotta re-evaluate some of the code, touch up on some textures, do a better castbar shield solution, and implement the shield absorbtion bar that I may have been slightly forgetting about! Haha. And also some basic configuration options.

Also looks like the UI is using ~150kb memory during runtime. All of the heavy-duty work is sitting on oUF, so it makes sense. There aren't really a lot of frequently running scripts or large tables in this thing.

Last edited by Folji : 04-30-16 at 05:25 AM.
04-30-16, 10:53 AM   #76
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
STOKED!

If you have it out by tonight, I'll get to use it in raid... wink wink, nudge nudge
04-30-16, 12:00 PM   #77
bartg71
A Murloc Raider
Role borders are great! can't wait to try it out once its good to go!
04-30-16, 03:35 PM   #78
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

And it's live, woohoo! I gotta admit that I am kinda excited about it, heh. Since this is the first public released, I flagged it as a 0.8 version. Mostly finished but may have bugs and planned features not implemented yet. But it's still perfectly fine to play with, I do it pretty much regularly now.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...cksteelUI.html
04-30-16, 03:57 PM   #79
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
I think you left out the focus frame reskin.
04-30-16, 04:07 PM   #80
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I just haven't done it yet, and same goes for a couple of other frames, though I'm going to get it in before too long!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Looking for layout/design feedback!