10-09-07, 03:32 AM   #1
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Cool Need help upgrading video card

I'm upgrading my system so I can run WoW (among other things) with higher settings more smoothly. One thing I'm doing is upgrading my RAM from 1GB to 2.5GB (2x1GB, 2x256MB) if not straight to 4GB (4x1GB, my system's max size). I know that'll definitely help in the long run.

But what I'm having trouble deciding is what video card I should get to replace my ATI Radeon X300. I know that my card isn't horrible, but it's only a 128MB card and I know I can get better.

Here are some things to consider:
  • I'm looking to switch to nVidia. I think I'm done with ATI.
  • I'd like the card to be less than $200 if possible.
  • The card MUST have a DVI port and a standard video port. I use two monitors; one is a flat panel that can use the DVI port, and the other is a standard VGA monitor.

My system is a P4 2.8GHz with Windows XP Professional SP2.

I'm hoping I've given enough information so that someone can point me in the direction of a video card that will fit my needs for an upgrade.
10-09-07, 05:58 AM   #2
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lywellyn
I'm upgrading my system so I can run WoW (among other things) with higher settings more smoothly. One thing I'm doing is upgrading my RAM from 1GB to 2.5GB (2x1GB, 2x256MB) if not straight to 4GB (4x1GB, my system's max size). I know that'll definitely help in the long run.

But what I'm having trouble deciding is what video card I should get to replace my ATI Radeon X300. I know that my card isn't horrible, but it's only a 128MB card and I know I can get better.

Here are some things to consider:
  • I'm looking to switch to nVidia. I think I'm done with ATI.
  • I'd like the card to be less than $200 if possible.
  • The card MUST have a DVI port and a standard video port. I use two monitors; one is a flat panel that can use the DVI port, and the other is a standard VGA monitor.

My system is a P4 2.8GHz with Windows XP Professional SP2.

I'm hoping I've given enough information so that someone can point me in the direction of a video card that will fit my needs for an upgrade.
Toms Hardware VGA Chart go nuts.... also (tell me if im wrong) but the memory on the graphics card only comes into consideration depending on the resolution of the screen.

P.S you didn't mention whether you had an AGP slot or a PCI-X slot.
10-09-07, 07:58 AM   #3
Chaka
A Kobold Labourer
Hi there reguardless of bus type (agp,pcie) the Nvidia is a good choice. system memory cap is 4 gig unless your using the 64 bit version of vista. Any Gforce 7 or 8 series is an upgrade for you. I like the Gforce 8500GT in either 256,or 512 config's both under $200. i saw my local best buy have it for $149. the earlier suggestion to look at toms Hardware is a good one
10-09-07, 12:17 PM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Definitely checkout the Toms Hardware guide. It's a great stepping stone.

ATI or NVidia is a personal choice. Myself, I gave up on NVidia when they had crappy drivers and started making "dustbuster" cards. I'll stick with ATI and AMD.

Video memory is not the deciding factor. It's more important what Pixel and Shader engines you have on the card. An ATI X1600 or X1650 is an economic choice. An X800 is last years, but would still be a huge upgrade, or go for gold and go X1800/X1900. The HD line is still pricey.

For NVidia, any Series 7 or 8, should be an upgrade but don't quote me.

PS: Check the speed on your ram. By using two 256 sticks you may be clocking down your ram speed considerably. It may, or may not, make a difference for you.

Last edited by Gemini_II : 10-09-07 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typos
10-09-07, 03:16 PM   #5
Steil
A Cliff Giant

When you shop, Make sure that your power supply is powerful enough.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=326862
Is what I'm leaning towards in the near future, probably not from that vendor but it's one of the few places i could find a x1950 series under 200. I'm not a fan of nvidia, But I've heard good things about the 8500 series of cards they've put out.
10-09-07, 03:19 PM   #6
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I don't suppose there's a way to look up how powerful your power supply is without having to open the case? And, is there anything else I should consider when thinking about the power supply? As in, anything else that uses it that I have to consider, etc.

I couldn't use that chart, it doesn't have my card on it.
10-09-07, 03:36 PM   #7
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

If you have XP 32bit it won't be able to see all 4Gigs of ram. Maybe 3.2-3.5.

First, to answer your question:
http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html...64&langx=en&a=
This downloadable application shows the specifications of your comp. I belive power supply too.

For video cards, what port is your card? AGP 4x, 8x or is it PCI or PCI-E?

Heres a AGP 4x/8x nice NVidia card:
XFX PVT73AUDE3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X
$160 && Lifetime limited warranty
Heres a pic of the VGA/DVI adapter. IDK if this will allow 2 monitors. Though, I'm pretty sure it does. Since it has 2 DVI ports you will be fine.
Picture

Heres a PCI - Express x16 NVidias Card:
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI
$75 after rebate. && 1 year warranty
Heres a pic again for the adapter. This card has 1 DVI and 1 D-Sub. But the adapter still supports D-Sub aswell.
Picture

Hope this helps!!

P.S: Newegg.com is a very wonderful and popular reseller. For computer related questions, you could always ask here aswell: EggXpert.com (Newegg's Forums)

Last edited by Cralor : 10-09-07 at 03:52 PM.
10-09-07, 05:32 PM   #8
Beacon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
For a graphics card, the 8600 GTS is really good-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150228
imo

if you want overclock it to the specs of the factory overclocked, should run fine, but be aware that this is a risk and its in your own hands. should run everything on high zero lag without OCing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150226 <---factory overclocked
10-09-07, 06:21 PM   #9
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Oh wow. I hadn't noticed that. Yea, that is below 200 dollars.

But the only difference is that is DX10. WoW is DX9 and will most likely stay that way.

7600GT might outperform the 8600GTS in WoW. But it is up to you.
10-09-07, 06:46 PM   #10
Beacon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I don't know, the 8600gts runs DX9 perfect from what I hear.

From many other points of view, people say the 8600GT outperforms the 7600, let alone the GTS. 8600 is supposed to be the 7600's successor....up to you though.

Last edited by Beacon : 10-09-07 at 06:48 PM.
10-09-07, 07:17 PM   #11
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Your probably right there. It is a controversial topic. I'm not great on the facts and all.

I just know WoW will most likely not ever use DX10 so you won't be able to utilize it.

8600GTS has a lot more speed though.

Again, all about your choice.

Also, heres all video cards from newegg.com aswell. I just saw it on the WoWInterface.com ad banner.
List of Vid Card (ATI) under $200
You can purchase the new ATI HD series for less than $100. Don't always stick with one company.

I think choice is my new favorite word

Last edited by Cralor : 10-09-07 at 07:20 PM.
10-09-07, 11:56 PM   #12
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I don't know what NVidia's current schema is but I know ATI's. Both companies produce "basic/economic", "mid-range", and "top-end" tiers.

ATI's are HD2400, HD2600, and HD2900 for their new cards. X300, X600, and X800+ for last editions.

10-10-07, 01:31 AM   #13
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Since any search of the ATI Radeon X300 that I said I have right now comes back PCI-E, I'm going to assume that that's what I have.

I already have the SiSoftware analyzer, but I can't find the power supply information.

Now that I know what they're called, I can specify for sure: I need a card that has one DVI port and one D-Sub/VGA port. Two DVI ports won't do me any good as one of my monitors cannot use a DVI port.

Newegg is the best. Any computer hardware I've bought in the last few years I've bought from them. I've had zero complaints thus far.
10-10-07, 07:22 AM   #14
Steil
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Lywellyn
I don't suppose there's a way to look up how powerful your power supply is without having to open the case? And, is there anything else I should consider when thinking about the power supply? As in, anything else that uses it that I have to consider, etc.

I couldn't use that chart, it doesn't have my card on it.
If your comp wasn't manufacturer built probably not. But sometimes you can get lucky as the identifiers for it can be on the back, or on the side that the case opens for easy visibility. for my hp I had to open a tech support window to find out that the factory ps was only 250.
10-10-07, 10:31 AM   #15
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Some manufacturers provide crappy PSU's (Power Supply Unit). I've seen as little as 280W. A gamer should be running at LEAST 400W, preferably 450W. It really depends on what you run though. If you have two optical drives and two hard drives, you will need more power than if you were running singles.

@LYwellyn: Most cards now come with an adapter to change DVI to VGA, so you could have two DVI-Out's on your new card and still work, if it has dual DVI.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Need help upgrading video card