05-04-09, 07:22 PM   #1
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
[Suggestion]: Concerning Clean Updates

A few weeks ago I redownloaded the latest version of Curse Client and I liked it, however, it did something I wasn't too fond of: upon performing an AddOn update, it deletes the AddOn(s) it's updating then reinstalls it with a fresh copy.

While for the casual user this probably isn't a problem at all, but with my UI setup, I have my own custom artwork and stuff saved inside the AddOn folder.

For instance, I have inside kgPanels a folder I created for my UI's artwork, and I'd like it to stay there. When I performed an update on Curse Client, it deleted the current kgPanels folder from my AddOn directory and replaced the entire folder with a new version, thus deleting my custom art. Lucky for me, I had a back up.

Anyways, I guess my point is please, if it's not too much trouble, at least make a client-end option to prevent this from happening. Thank you and great job on the updater so far!

P.S. I recently subscribed to WoWI to help support the website because I use this website just about everyday, will there be any special exclusive features in MMOUI Minion that will be for Site Supporters such as myself?
05-04-09, 08:33 PM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Found in the FAQ. Posted by Cairenn @ http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22789

3. Is there a “premium” version?
Sort of. There will be one version of it for everyone. The only difference that users will see right now is that if a user is a Premium Member on our sites, then whenever they are on one of our tabs (more about those down further) they won’t see ads on the updater. If they aren’t a Premium Member on our sites, there will be one 300x250 ad block in the lower right corner that they will see.
4. This means it isn’t “crippled” in any way?
That is correct. There will be an “Update all” button that will work for everyone, whether you are a Premium Member on our sites or not. There won’t be any throttling of download speed if you aren't a Premium Member. The only difference right now will be whether or not there are ads showing when on our tabs.
Hope this answers your last question.
05-04-09, 11:25 PM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately I currently do the same. This is the only real way to avoid clutter and to ensure a clean install occurs. However, I think it's something that could be argued as a request for an improvement somewhere post-beta to make it a client-side option.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-05-09, 12:24 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I had a similar issue with updaters in the past and my custom artwork. To avoid the issue in case of a program bug or my own goof i started putting my art in the interface folder. This way unless you totally delete that folder its always there. Also makes my file paths shorter to type cause im lazy like that. =P

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-05-09, 01:01 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I had a similar issue with updaters in the past and my custom artwork. To avoid the issue in case of a program bug or my own goof i started putting my art in the interface folder. This way unless you totally delete that folder its always there. Also makes my file paths shorter to type cause im lazy like that. =P
I have done something similar although in my case, my artwork is in a custom AddOn that also holds my fonts, some code to change the default Damage Text, code to enable a /rl shortcut command for reloading my UI and other UI tweaks. This makes things real easy on the update side of things unless I have tweaked the code of the to be updated AddOn. However for that, I have a file called "Code Snippets" where I keep all my custom code (and bits of code that I find and may use) so I just have to do a copy and paste into the new AddOn version.
05-05-09, 01:12 AM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
so I just have to do a copy and paste into the new AddOn version.
05-08-09, 01:53 AM   #7
Phantom
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Unfortunately I currently do the same. This is the only real way to avoid clutter and to ensure a clean install occurs. However, I think it's something that could be argued as a request for an improvement somewhere post-beta to make it a client-side option.
I am going to have to speak my mind on this, programmer to programmer.

Could you not provide a "clean install" option?

The option could be enabled by default so to avoid issues. It could even be enabled for each add-on if that was easier. As long as the file is not being used by the operating system or has some sort of permission restriction, other programmer languages I have used have allowed me to replace files if they already exist.

One option would be to allow add-on authors to force a "clean install" if they change the file structure in a release. This could be a flag that the program itself knows about on a given release version of an add-on.

I am trying to whore my ideas out.
05-08-09, 02:00 AM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
There are a lot of ways that could be done, though I will admit none of them will make it in before beta. I'm currently operating in a feature-freeze mode and requests even from Cairenn and the gods that be are being denied until beta is released.

I do want to add some kind of option like this, but I tend to be against requiring additional work on both authors and users. I think the easiest thing would be for everything to default to "Clean Install" but when you right click on it, you could turn it off. An alternative would be for the author to request that it be "clean installed." Both of these have pros and cons.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-08-09, 02:11 AM   #9
Phantom
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
There are a lot of ways that could be done, though I will admit none of them will make it in before beta. I'm currently operating in a feature-freeze mode and requests even from Cairenn and the gods that be are being denied until beta is released.

I do want to add some kind of option like this, but I tend to be against requiring additional work on both authors and users. I think the easiest thing would be for everything to default to "Clean Install" but when you right click on it, you could turn it off. An alternative would be for the author to request that it be "clean installed." Both of these have pros and cons.
I understand the woes of a program of that size your attempting to build.

I am still going to whore my ideas out there.

After 7 years all I have is this stinking
05-07-09, 12:11 AM   #10
Graloth
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PerfectH View Post
A few weeks ago I redownloaded the latest version of Curse Client and I liked it, however, it did something I wasn't too fond of: upon performing an AddOn update, it deletes the AddOn(s) it's updating then reinstalls it with a fresh copy.

While for the casual user this probably isn't a problem at all, but with my UI setup, I have my own custom artwork and stuff saved inside the AddOn folder.

For instance, I have inside kgPanels a folder I created for my UI's artwork, and I'd like it to stay there. When I performed an update on Curse Client, it deleted the current kgPanels folder from my AddOn directory and replaced the entire folder with a new version, thus deleting my custom art. Lucky for me, I had a back up.

Anyways, I guess my point is please, if it's not too much trouble, at least make a client-end option to prevent this from happening. Thank you and great job on the updater so far!

P.S. I recently subscribed to WoWI to help support the website because I use this website just about everyday, will there be any special exclusive features in MMOUI Minion that will be for Site Supporters such as myself?
About your artwork, i've had the same problem, but decided to go another route that would (hopeully) prevent it from happening again regardless of what updater i would use.

I simply created a folder for my textures inside the Interface folder, right next to the AddOn folder, while its probably not the best idea it works perfectly for me and it doesn't get deleted or anything when updating

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » [Suggestion]: Concerning Clean Updates