11-17-08, 10:50 PM   #21
joeba18
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ok now most people will think this is weird but more experienced people on working with computers will understand it.

Try downgrading your drivers.

Not all drivers are compatible with all games and thus if you upgrade to a new version of drivers there is some times you run the risk of not having compatibility.

It's an easy fix just go back a couple versions of your driver and install it.
If that don't work try a couple more if it still don't work then the gpu on your video card might be going out and could need replacing.
11-18-08, 03:34 AM   #22
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Didn't see this thread before .. :P

I agree with joeba's instruction. First thing I ask people having trouble is "Are your drivers up-to-date?"

If they are, then I ask them to downgrade those drivers and see if it's any better.
11-18-08, 11:03 AM   #23
Ambrya
Premium Member
Premium Member
Well, I played for a few hours last night and it didn't do it, though all I've done at this point was reinstall my video drivers. Since the problem is very intermittent, I'm not willing to declare it fixed yet. I might have just been having a good night. But usually if I play that long, the problem occurs, so it might be that the video drivers fixed it.
11-18-08, 11:22 AM   #24
Fiercy
A Cyclonian

At your intial question. YEs addons can cause wow to get an error and then give you the BSoD. Has happened to me lots of times pre-WLK. The way i fixed was to completely make a new WTF and run the repair app. In another case this kept on happening when i ran 2 concurrent WoWs. The problem then was that the hard drive was bad, some corrupted sectors (on a new WD Velociraptor, who knew...).
There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience.
11-18-08, 11:28 AM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Video card issues are the main culprit of what you are describing. If your card has temp sensors, then you can run GPU-Z during game play to check the temps (check with the card manufacturer or the booklet that came with your card for min/max heat).

We also need to take a peek at your dxdiag so we can see your system setup and video card info. Someone might be able to spot something and help you even further.

Go to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and press Enter. (Windows Vista: Press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time). Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click 'OK', this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.)

They'll need the following info:
System tab
Operating system:
Processor:
Memory:
DirectX Version:

Display tab
Device Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Date:
Driver DDI Version:
DirectDraw Acceleration:
Direct3D Acceleration:
AGP Texture Acceleration:

The only addon that I've seen (in the official tech forums) cause severe WoW crashes is QuestHelper.

Last edited by Petrah : 11-18-08 at 11:34 AM.
11-18-08, 11:28 AM   #26
VgerAN
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by joeba18 View Post
Ok now most people will think this is weird but more experienced people on working with computers will understand it.

Try downgrading your drivers.

Not all drivers are compatible with all games and thus if you upgrade to a new version of drivers there is some times you run the risk of not having compatibility.
Not that you probably need more things to try at this point, but make sure you read this carefully. The latest version of your video card drivers is not necessarily the one that will work best for you. Each new version will fix a bunch of stuff, and introduce a bunch of new bugs: just like some game you know.
11-28-08, 03:05 PM   #27
Ambrya
Premium Member
Premium Member
Update

Well, I removed the extra memory that had been added, and it seems to have solved the problem with /quit leading to a BSOD and spontaneous reboot. It has not, however, solved the problem of the graphics glitch. Which would indicate that the two problems were actually unrelated except in the fact that the graphics glitch would force me to /quit, which would then cause the BSOD/reboot problem.

So now I've just got to figure out how to track down an earlier version of my video card drivers (since the download on the Nvidia site has you select your operating system, video card, etc and then generates your download link to only the latest drivers) and see if that helps with the graphics glitch.
11-29-08, 03:46 AM   #28
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Ambrya View Post
Well, I removed the extra memory that had been added, and it seems to have solved the problem with /quit leading to a BSOD and spontaneous reboot. It has not, however, solved the problem of the graphics glitch. Which would indicate that the two problems were actually unrelated except in the fact that the graphics glitch would force me to /quit, which would then cause the BSOD/reboot problem.

So now I've just got to figure out how to track down an earlier version of my video card drivers (since the download on the Nvidia site has you select your operating system, video card, etc and then generates your download link to only the latest drivers) and see if that helps with the graphics glitch.
GeForceWare and ForceWare drivers can be found here

Edit says: or in the nVidia archive
11-30-08, 02:35 PM   #29
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok if this issue is not fixed this is what i recomend you do,

Firstly Disable all addons DO NOT uninstall them
Keep the added ram out of your system as that is most proberly what is causing ur BSOD
Uninstall all software for your Graphics card
DO NOT REBOOT
make sure your graphics card is removed from Device manager
once you have Verified this go to nvidia.co.uk and download and SAVE your latest drivers DO NOT INSTALL,
go ahead and reboot your system
install ur new drivers and reboot again
this should reinstall your gpu and hopefully fix ur problem
test wow for a minimum of 2 hours without addons if all works enable your addons and hope for the best
if this doesnt fix ur issue id sugest running a cpu stress test by using something like cpuz if the CPU is fine replace ur graphics card

get the latest drivers for your card mate personaly i wouldnt get them from nvidia i would get them from http://www.omegadrivers.net/ they have more of an all in one driver with optimalised settings and use older base files to maximise compatability

Last edited by Raziel08 : 11-30-08 at 02:37 PM.
11-30-08, 02:49 PM   #30
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Raziel08 View Post

Firstly Disable all addons DO NOT uninstall them

The Interface and WTF folders must be moved (unless there are no addons, then the folders get deleted) or renamed. This is standard procedure for troubleshooting (as stated by Bliz techs in the support forum) in order to rule out any files that may be corrupted inside of those folders. Simply disabling the addons does not ensure proper testing with a default UI and new game settings.
12-01-08, 03:38 AM   #31
Shadowcall
A Cyclonian

I notice that you fixed the memory problem.
Now to try to fix your second problem install this , open the config window (/baudmanager), check the Track CPU Usage box and reload UI. Search for the addon that use the most CPU time, disable it and try again to see if you still have glitchs. The best way to test addons, imo, is to go to AV.

Also what is your graphic card model? I have some drivers for nvidia

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Can UI addons cause BSOD and reboot?