11-16-10, 05:13 PM   #4221
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So...I have a problem. I needed raidframes that fit my new unitframes so I made them. I like the idea with the chains aswell:

But ... still that the raidframes fit in nicely I'm not really satisfied. Useing simeple square raidframes would eat the look imo. Hmm...
Those spikes cost place but are needed to make it look alike. But I think I could still make them smaller in width and a bit taller in height.

Any other ideas? What is a must is outer glow for debuff, border coloring for threat.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 11-16-10 at 05:20 PM.

11-16-10, 05:19 PM   #4222
Dawn
A Molten Giant

What don't you like about them?

Only thing I can think of is that they need a crap lot of space that contains nothing, atm.

You could use the rather large spacing in between them for your advantage and put in more information, mainly debuff/buff tracking, either with tags or an aura filter.

I'd try to get rid of some horizontal spacing, maybe reduce the artwork on the sides a little or replace it with something that has less width.

Edit: Meh forget it, you edited while I was typing.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

11-16-10, 05:42 PM   #4223
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I know, but well, when you're on a small screen, 200 pixels from the center is, compared to your screen, a much larger distance. That's the problem I have now. My UF position is static and on smaller screens, it's just not right.

Haleth.. check out the layout.lua file in tukui. Towards the bottom of the file you'll see the section on the default positions of the uf's. There's bits of code in there he uses for the placement of them for lowres and highres settings. That should help and give you some ideas to toss around.

11-16-10, 06:49 PM   #4224
sevti
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by zork View Post
So...I have a problem. I needed raidframes that fit my new unitframes so I made them. I like the idea with the chains aswell:

<screenshots>

But ... still that the raidframes fit in nicely I'm not really satisfied. Useing simeple square raidframes would eat the look imo. Hmm...
Those spikes cost place but are needed to make it look alike. But I think I could still make them smaller in width and a bit taller in height.

Any other ideas? What is a must is outer glow for debuff, border coloring for threat.
The only thing I see that could use a change is size; the red for out of range is a little strange to me, but I can see its use, and I just love the chains. The shorter ones are best for a raid, though I'd consider using the longer ones in a party setting with those bars.

In regards to the graphic, while the spikes unify everything nicely, maybe they could be edited to use less space? I hope you'll forgive the butchery, but maybe something more like the attached image. Blunted, but in the same style as the rest. The bottom part is the "final product," I added the pieces on top to show how I got there. Of course the sizing isn't taken into account, but you get the idea.

If it needs to be spiky, though, changing the width and height could be enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rothRaidIdea.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5252  

11-16-10, 06:58 PM   #4225
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I second sevti's idea.

€: Slim r7 Party shot ...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 11-16-10 at 07:02 PM.

11-16-10, 06:59 PM   #4226
MakiyoIto
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
To Zork:

The only thing is that as a healer(personally), it's a little difficult to have my raid frames all the way on that corner. I tend to have them in the middle right section so I dont have to swing my eyeballs around. Purely personal though.

I love the chains, it looks very very neat but I m not sure how to pull it off if I want to move my frames to the middle-right section.

hope you understand my broken english ;o

no way was I saying that everyone does it my way, I personally like healing it in the center area that is all =)

---------------------

To Led++

I have another question for you >o< How do you do your crispy clean borders on unitframes? Kgpanels? How about the raid frames borders @@?

Last edited by MakiyoIto : 11-16-10 at 07:06 PM.

11-16-10, 07:30 PM   #4227
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by MakiyoIto View Post
I have another question for you >o< How do you do your crispy clean borders on unitframes? Kgpanels? How about the raid frames borders @@?
I'm gonna hijack this question and answer it in my own way I use a simple SetBackdrop call through the LUA. More simply put, I use a certain chunk of code to add a backdrop/border to almost any addon, which is always perfect

ALso, I'm about 99% sure Led uses kgPanels. Or at least they used to, until a certain thread happened to catch their attention

P.S. More info is in THIS certain thread

11-16-10, 08:10 PM   #4228
sevti
An Aku'mai Servant
I decided my Circles UI was too ambitious; I want to switch it to oUF, but I don't have the time to get the knowledge needed to make circles out of everything.

So I decided to go a completely different route. I've always felt poorly towards viewport-style things, but I figured I'd let go and try it out. I'm actually rather liking it so far; the "framed" effect is kind of nice. oUF Nivea was probably the best thing that could have happened to my ui, despite my many tweaks. I love it for raid groups.

The scaling change with the patch messed up a few things so I'm still fixing that too. :/ Also I could've sworn I turned off scrolling combat text ><

Solo
Alterac Valley

(sorry if it's nothing awesomely special, I'm relatively new to the scene so if viewports of any kind are ~so last year~ I'm just ignorant :x )

Last edited by sevti : 11-16-10 at 08:21 PM.

11-16-10, 09:13 PM   #4229
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AV. Working on a new Chim UI.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

11-16-10, 10:16 PM   #4230
Firedancer
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Is that what the default soul shards look like? Just curious if you're modding the default UFs in any way. I'm making a brand new character (one each for horde and alliance, really) for Cataclysm and want to get somewhat back to basics with my UI.

Thanks!

11-16-10, 10:29 PM   #4231
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Firedancer View Post
Is that what the default soul shards look like? Just curious if you're modding the default UFs in any way. I'm making a brand new character (one each for horde and alliance, really) for Cataclysm and want to get somewhat back to basics with my UI.

Thanks!
Yes, that's what the default UI for SS looks like now.

11-17-10, 01:32 AM   #4232
Morfiene
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by zork View Post

I love the idea, I'm using the UI now as it stands. I think even if you did remove the spike art it really wouldn't detract. I'm thinking just the borders. Reason I say this, it would make me think of the names as hanging signs. Then you can tighten up the horizontal spacing.

Sevti's idea is cool too.

But three cheers on a nice UI. It just feels right for the coming changes in game

11-17-10, 01:52 AM   #4233
Oraknathal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I second sevti's idea.

€: Slim r7 Party shot ...
i wish i had your nameplates lol

11-17-10, 03:36 AM   #4234
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hmmm...what about reusing the portrait textures for the raidframes?

Acutally not that bad as I thought. I think that is because actionbuttons, portraits and aura icons use the same style.

But in comparsion that ain't that bad either and on that raid are 40 units.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 11-17-10 at 03:50 AM.

11-17-10, 05:52 AM   #4235
Viridis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
@Zork, The square frames look a little shiny, but it could work. The chains are fine for DPS/Tanking, just depends how much you want to support healers. The TukUI route is an option.

It looks like you could get 25 frames in one column down the left side with the chains, you could give an option to turn off the border/chains to save space. I don't know how hard that would be.

They look good though.

11-17-10, 07:34 AM   #4236
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by sevti View Post
I decided my Circles UI was too ambitious; I want to switch it to oUF, but I don't have the time to get the knowledge needed to make circles out of everything.

OMG! You win this entire thread for having a Navi power aura proc, or whatever that is.

<3 <3

11-17-10, 08:08 AM   #4237
sevti
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
OMG! You win this entire thread for having a Navi power aura proc, or whatever that is.

<3 <3
rofl thank you There's actually two That one says Penance (or Holy Word if I'm Holy) is off cooldown, and a yellow one says Archangel is available.

I used to watch cooldowns on my bars, but since I hid all my buttons away (there are mouseover actionbars docked on the right) I figured I'd try using PowerAuras to watch, as I wasn't a huge fan of SexyCooldown when I tried it. It's actually kind of comforting to see all that and be like "if things go to hell, I could do SO MANY THINGS to make it better."

Of course I'm terrible at pvp so the only thing on cooldown is PW:Barrier, but that's an aside.

Also @Zork, that would work! You're right, since it matches the buttons that fits in just fine. I'll miss the chains idea (even as a a healer, it was really cool) but the styled squares are potentially more functional, with some form of HoT indicators in mind. With the second image, it's true that they're compact enough for a 40man in that configuration, but I still don't see it as great for healers.

Last edited by sevti : 11-17-10 at 08:47 AM.

11-17-10, 09:25 AM   #4238
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by tenub View Post
It's all coming together now:

[there was an image here but I removed it so the quote doesn't get HUGE.]

lol, just noticed my player power text says "health".
That rounded corner background-texture sure looks spiffy, is it available somewhere for download? (The texture, that is).

Gonna be interesting to see an entire interface put together of this. Even if it's not suitable for me, I do believe it will look awesome.

11-17-10, 11:41 AM   #4239
Detox
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Am I the only one thinking, that this is waaay too far away from a Chim UI? Nearly everything looks like default.

11-17-10, 11:50 AM   #4240
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Detox View Post
Am I the only one thinking, that this is waaay too far away from a Chim UI? Nearly everything looks like default.
No, that's not the Chim UI I'm working on. That' s just what I'm using atm. :P

I should have worded the original post better.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...