06-28-05, 09:41 AM   #1
blueberrylyl
A Murloc Raider
Looking for an Auction Event Notice

I am relatively new to WoW. I am used to the flexability of chat in EQ/EQ2 and SWG. I can't seem to get my chat messages filtered the way I want. No matter what I disable, etc. I still get mass spam in most of my chatboxes. (System messages mostly.)

I am looking for two things. Mainly a way to pull out all messages that have the word auction, bid, outbid in them so that they either go to their own window make a sound notice when received. Example: You were outbid on Mithril Bar. (Buzz noise or something...or a popup like a WIM message.) Is this possible? I can't even seem to pull it out of the general system messages so it gets stuck in sys spam.

Secondly I am looking for (and this would solve the first issue) a very easy, gui based mod for chat. Something that has a nice little interface window where I can check off how many chat boxes I want..and name them..and decide what colors they are, resolution they are, and what text filters to there. I have tried a couple of the mods for chat but they give me mass in game errors or they are too unfriendly for my nonprogramming blondness.

Thanks in advance!!

Lyly / Zoii
The Llane Ranger
06-28-05, 10:04 AM   #2
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
will track something down for you.

The filtering you mention is done by watching for the CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM event, and then doing a string.gfind on the text. You can then filter for specific phrases and if they return as a match, you can do basically whatever you want from there... like play a sound, do an emote, output text to a chat window or even a message on your screen (UIError message similar to not enough mana messages...)

I have something under development that does something like this, although it wasn't really meant for chat message filtering. It can easily be modified to do that however.

If you are confident in your addon creation skills, you can download SCT (Scrolling Combat Text) to get a feel for how events are listened for, and different actions are taken based on them. That addon also has numerous string.gfind references if you want to go that route...
06-29-05, 08:04 AM   #3
blueberrylyl
A Murloc Raider
Thanks! I am lost when it comes to xml, scripts, etc. That is why I am looking for a totally GUI based, point and click, See-Spot-Run kind of addon that will bring up a control panel that lets you set how many chat windows, the bg color and font color and size, the specific defaults for each one (with the ability to disable any of the junk you don't want).

I realize there are a ton of bits and pieces out there of what I am looking for - but most of it was too complicated for me and got me frustrated pretty quickly. I figure there's got to be a way to pull auction messages (or any specific message out) to go to it's own window - much like WIM does with tells.

Anyway...thanks again!!
07-02-05, 08:50 AM   #4
blueberrylyl
A Murloc Raider
/bump...still looking for this

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for an Auction Event Notice