12-19-09, 01:01 PM   #1
Oomkins
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Combat Log Question

I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to turn off combat logging completely. I have read about several different ways to do it whether it was an add-on or changing all the files in the log folder to read-only. Thanks
12-19-09, 02:00 PM   #2
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Oomkins View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to turn off combat logging completely. I have read about several different ways to do it whether it was an add-on or changing all the files in the log folder to read-only. Thanks
given that any addon you run can subscribe to as much of the combat log as it wants, and that all of that ultimately represents overhead that will to some extent impact frame rates... i am not certain what you are trying to achieve here.

as well, the event stream that the WoW client deals with consists of more than "just" the combat log.

anyway, i guess if you want to make certain that nothing under your ultimate control tries to collect/process combat log events (specifically), you could disable all addons and unckeck every box under Blizzard's "Combat Log>Settings" dialog (the dialog is entitled "Combat Log Config"). i don't know of any LUA or console command sequence that can tell the WoW client to "disable the combat log", but the WoW API is documented here, and i expect there would be a way to automate the "turn it all off" process in LUA.

i don't remember any more whether combat log range is under user control any more, or even adjustable any more (via LUA, via a console command, or etc). it used to be. if it still is, assuming you want to reduce the overall impact of combat log volume on your WoW client's performance (and assuming you don't have an addon setting this range to the maximum behind your back), you could probably reduce it and recover some resources. take a look at the WoW Wiki on the topic (i don't see anything right now that would be applicable). you can also take a look at your own Config.wtf file (don't see anything there either).

hope that helps.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

Last edited by acapela : 12-19-09 at 02:03 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Combat Log Question