02-07-07, 09:27 PM   #1
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
OK, there's a lot of brewhaha in the forums about this and it's starting to detract from the purpose of other threads, so I'm just going to post my views on people's objection to the Mazzlegasm. If you want to discuss it, do it here in this thread rather than the other ones.

Question: Oh my god, my character did something I didn't tell it to do! It's out of my control! That's just not right.

Answer:

If you don't like an add-on that makes your character say something when you install it, don't use it. It's the same thing as choosing not to use an add-on like Necrosis that mutters something when you summon your pet. No one is forcing you to use this.

To make sure you know about this, I've added a clearly labelled note at the end of the the description of the UI that warns you that your character may yell and emote when installing.

Question: Why do you even do this?

Answer:

My UI has an in-character theme throughout the whole process about converting your character, mazzification, etc. For better or worse, having your character exclaim and dance is the final part of the installer's presentation.

Question: Well, I don't mind it making me say something, but it used the syllable 'gasm' which, after looking it up, means intense. While intense isn't offensive, it's also in the word 'orgasm' which has to do with sex, which really offends me! I know you don't say the actual word orgasm, but the two sound alike and I'm on the internet, so that's grounds enough to complain!

Answer:

The game simply isn't Toontown. It's rated T and clearly says "suggestive themes" on the box. That syllable isn't even half as suggestive as the official content of some of the /flirt and /silly emotes that come with the game.

Outside of the obvious fact that this game is basically an sequences of quests to mass murder one group after another (which I do think people should also find offensive), these are value judgments. What is important is this: Objectively speaking, comparing it to the rating in the game and content built in to it, I don't think it's at all inappropriate in the WoW environment.

Question: I'm worried about getting in trouble! What if someone reports me?

Answer:

If you're really concerned about it, don't use the add-on or mazzify away from other people. I've put a lot of thought into it and decided that I don't think it's inappropriate for the environment.

If it's any comfort, me and probably about a hundred testers have been yelling this term for well over a year. No one has ever had a problem come out of it. Moreover, one of my characters, whom I've had for a year and a half, my priest, is named Mazzlegasm. She used to be my main character. Given the duration that I've had this character and the fact that I'm on a server with actual naming constraints, I would be very surprised if no one has ever reported it. I have never once got any indication that it was inappropriate from a GM.

Sadly, there's nothing people love in MMO's more than complaining, young and old alike. If you don't want to deal with people who object to things that you say, I'd suggest not playing an MMO. And if you don't want to deal with people objecting to this particular thing, either don't use the UI or mazzify somewhere people won't hear it. I think they're making a mountain out of a molehill and that it's well within the bounds of what's appropriately suggestive in this game.

Question: What about the children?!? They are our future! We must teach them well and let them lead the way!

Answer:

If parents are concerned about inappropriate content and they deem "Mazzlegasm" as inappropate, then they shouldn't be or let their kids be anywhere near WoW. The suggestiveness of the syllable "gasm" is trivial compared to the lewd stuff that her kids are GUARANTEED to run across in general chat and interaction with the crude teens and 20-somethings that make up the majority of the MMO population, profanity filter or not. They simply cannot control that. And, at the risk of repeating myself, it is well within the bounds of the suggestive offical content already in the game. Frankly, I think the term is tame and silly-sounding more than anything.

Should you tell parents that they're being absurd? That's up to you. I probably wouldn't. (Hmm, you could point them to this thread if you wanted to.) Anyway, I'm just telling you that I don't find their argument compelling, and I don't think it's a basis to change anything.

Question: Personally, I love the Mazzlegasm. I just don't like hearing it 20 times in a row as I re-mazzify or mazzify multiple characters. Can you do something about that?

Answer:

I agree. And to this end, there has been a throttle on Mazzlegasms for quite some time. Unfortunately, it's current disabled. While in beta, some people reported that they were never getting Mazzlegasm. I disabled to see whether it was an issue with the throttle or a more general one. I forgot to re-enable it. It should be back in the next version.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 02-09-07 at 03:10 PM.

02-08-07, 12:26 PM   #2
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Been trying to convince MazzerUI and my working UI to get along...it's an uphill battle (I'm not even getting into the Bongos issue...finally gets written to work well with bar configurations but has the "you will align yourself MY way" built in, grrr -- even though I figured out how to work around it (size all, then move) I eventually gave up and replaced it so I could get a button layout that worked for me without damage to my bloodpressure). I've managed to patch my way around most of the issues and removed/disabled some of the more annoying mods (which aren't available for disablement in the mazzer ui config panels) and replaced some; however, I've run into a few questions...

1) Is there any way to turn off the insipid /yell when you first configure? Nothing so uncool as having your char /yell in the middle of a packed city something as absurd as that and getting 20 tells to STFU or 'welcome to my ignore list @#$@' *sigh* (No I don't intend to have to run it again but just in case I don't want to have to hide myself into an instance to do it)

2) Is there any way (yes, I'll even mod the .lua) to make the 'border turns red during combat" stop? Please??

3) From reading all the FAQs that don't answer this directly: is there actually any way to stop the mobile 3d? I don't care about resources as much as it's just...annoying. Every time I target a moth I want to scream. Just want to shut off the animation itself, a non-moving 3-d model is just peachy if we have to have the 3d

4) Hotspots in the UI. Love the concept, it's six kinds of brilliant; however, I don't like the mods that are attached to some of them. I gather there's no way to swap that out how those work w/o resorting to modding the .lua (which is fine, it's the price you pay for being picky about your mods) so...where might I go about doing this? (I'll take the responsibility for making it work, I just want to know where it is or if there's any caveats I should be aware of)

Thanks in advance (and for monitoring this rapidly growing thread)

02-08-07, 12:53 PM   #3
txdadu
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH
1) Is there any way to turn off the insipid /yell when you first configure? Nothing so uncool as having your char /yell in the middle of a packed city something as absurd as that and getting 20 tells to STFU or 'welcome to my ignore list @#$@' *sigh* (No I don't intend to have to run it again but just in case I don't want to have to hide myself into an instance to do it)
Seriously, how do we get rid of this? I haven't seen this addressed and well, it's more than a little annoying and if someone took offense to it I could see Blizzard giving a time out for the comments.

02-08-07, 12:56 PM   #4
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by txdadu
Seriously, how do we get rid of this? I haven't seen this addressed and well, it's more than a little annoying and if someone took offense to it I could see Blizzard giving a time out for the comments.

There is no way to turn it completely off... and what part of MAZZLEGASM! is offensive? I suppose you can always just close your eyes while you click the Mazzify button?

02-08-07, 01:14 PM   #5
txdadu
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kierrkian
There is no way to turn it completely off... and what part of MAZZLEGASM! is offensive? I suppose you can always just close your eyes while you click the Mazzify button?
People in this game find all sorts of things offensive, yelling out something that could annoy folks and does annoy folks may get reports issued on a person. A crappy GM may say that it is sexually explicit (sexual references) and give someone a 3-day game vacation.

I don't particularly find it offense. I find it annoying, it was funny the first time, having multiple mazzlegasms aren't my cup of tea though.

02-08-07, 01:16 PM   #6
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Vint
Have you unchecked the options in the MazzleOptions -Mazz3d Characters section, to enable/disable random animations and event based animations? (Assuming thats the animations you're referring to..if you're talking about a mob 'moving' inside the frame, thats whats provided by Blizzard's "camera" when viewing the model..
Yes, that was step 1, step 2 was turning it off in efficiency. It's not the random or event-based that bugs me, it's 6 models squirming on the screen while I'm trying to pay attention to the 50-odd mobs/people on the screen. I expect movement in the information-display interface to be "pay attention to me, critical info here" not "watch me flap my wings, I'm a moth" If I try to ignore it, I wind up missing things happening farther down in the UI that are really movement-to-attract-attention. I mean the 3d is cute and all but...

Originally Posted by Kierrkian
There is no way to turn it completely off... and what part of MAZZLEGASM! is offensive?
Parents of 10yrolds, namely -- not kidding, that was just one of the *****y /tells I got. Another was for me to keep my cybering to myself. Two /tells contained suggestions that are anatomically impossible. One asked me to pass along something very rude to Mazzle as apparently I wasn't the first to be yelling that.

02-09-07, 01:41 PM   #7
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

MazzleGASM FAQ

This is the post that the original FAQ was in. After merging in posts from other threads, I had to do some cutting and pasting to get it on top. Anyway, all posts before this were made before the FAQ was posted.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 02-09-07 at 03:13 PM.

02-09-07, 01:47 PM   #8
Toran
A Nerdscale Dorkin

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
Question: Oh my god, my character did something I didn't tell it to fo! It's out of my control! That's just not right.

Answer:

If you don't like an add-on that makes your character say something when you install it, don't use it. It's the same thing as choosing not to use an add-on like Necrosis that mutters something when you summon your pet. No one is forcing you to use this.

To make sure you know about this, I've added a clearly labelled note at the end of the the description of the UI that warns you that your character may yell and emote when installing.
For accuracy purposes, this is a bad comparison. In Necrosis, it is simple to disable the whacky pet comments. I don't use your UI, but it seems to be that your "Mazzlegasm" (LOL!!) can't be disabled. Then again, who would want to disable any type of *gasm.

02-09-07, 01:53 PM   #9
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

True, but even if you could not disable Necrosis' rp'ing comments, the conclusion I made would be exactly the same. If you don't like what the add-on does, don't use it.

02-09-07, 03:08 PM   #10
Origin
A Defias Bandit

Was unexpected when my char started yelling/moaning/dancing in SW, spat coffee all over my screen.

Was great

02-09-07, 03:28 PM   #11
Olnir Orcsplitter
An Aku'mai Servant

Personally I think this is a moot argument. As many others have stated... if an individual finds that much wrong with a UI then do not use it. If you want it changed... change it. If your friends want it changed... but do not know how, then you do it or tell them how. I think that is one of the most unique and funny things in the UI. For those people giving you tells... perhaps it should be them on your ignore list instead of you. They need to loosen up some. There is a lot worse said and done in WoW than the word or emote associated with this UI. Here is something else to think about... some of those worse things have likely been done by your very own 10 year old...

02-09-07, 03:26 PM   #12
Gemminie
A Fallenroot Satyr

I find the whole Mazzlegasm thing hilarious, part of the humor and attitude that is the very soul of MazzleUI. I suppose it's suggestive, but it's no more than that -- and as you say, there are certainly aspects of WoW that are far more objectionable.

Evil Gemminie says: "After I conquer the world, mazzlegasms will be mandatory!"

*hands Origin a towel*

02-09-07, 04:30 PM   #13
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Gemminie
Evil Gemminie says: "After I conquer the world, mazzlegasms will be mandatory!"
Evil Gemminie for prez!!

02-09-07, 09:17 PM   #14
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
First of all, thanks Mazzle and the testers for the large amount of work they put into this compilation. I'd been looking forward to trying it for some time was very excited to put it to the test. From the amount of playing around I've done so far you have put together a very solid and feature rich UI.

Anyway.

I too was a tad disappointed when I saw the mazzlegasm thing. While not particularily offensive, it annoyed me because I am a control freak, and control over my character & UI is the reason I was interested in MazzleUI in the first place.

I was even more disappointed in reading the forums to see a complete lack of sympathy for the folks who are, for whatever reason, offended or likewise disappointed by it. Mazzle, you've done great work here, there's no need to make it a big deal for those who object to some small detail of it. Especially when the fix is so easy.

I am in control of my UI, and not the other way around.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 02-09-07 at 09:51 PM.

02-09-07, 10:09 PM   #15
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by dorlf
I was even more disappointed in reading the forums to see a complete lack of sympathy for the folks who are, for whatever reason, offended or likewise disappointed by it. Mazzle, you've done great work here, there's no need to make it a big deal for those who object to some small detail of it. Especially when the fix is so easy.

I am not making a big deal about it. Quite the opposite. This thread was an attempt to quell the many heated posts from a vocal few that being made here in this forum and in other places. Whatever unsympathetic posts you're referring to are not being made by me. If you want to know my viewpoint, I don't think I can be any clearer than in the first post.

btw, I've asked the beta testers to stop posting on it as well.

02-09-07, 11:18 PM   #16
Logdan
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

I am not making a big deal about it. Quite the opposite.
Yet you edit a post that contains helpful information for others. If it was not a big deal, then why remove the information? Very hypocritical and unprofessional if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

dorlf, I encourage you to post your fix somewhere where it can be easily found and not tampered with.

Edit: I should clarify, I don't mean to be disrespectful to your vision of your UI and it's creation/functions during use, but withholding information from users is not right at all.

Last edited by Logdan : 02-09-07 at 11:20 PM.

02-10-07, 01:56 AM   #17
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Logdan
Yet you edit a post that contains helpful information for others. If it was not a big deal, then why remove the information? Very hypocritical and unprofessional if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

dorlf, I encourage you to post your fix somewhere where it can be easily found and not tampered with.

Edit: I should clarify, I don't mean to be disrespectful to your vision of your UI and it's creation/functions during use, but withholding information from users is not right at all.
When this turns into a business and I start getting a salary or start charging fees, you can make arguments about professionalism.

Whether it's a diff file, a patch, or a complete repackaging, those are different forms of altering someone's work and re-releasing it. Typing one of the those forms of alterations out in a forum is no different than attaching it a file. Dorlf told me that he was just trying to help. And he also agreed that it wasn't appropriate to post altered version of other people's work without permission. Either way, I will moderate out posts that I think are inappropriate.

If I wanted it to change things, I'd post directions myself or even just make it a checkbox. I patiently explained all the reasons, and that's still not enough for all the myopic complainers out there who can see nothing except themselves not getting what they want.

02-10-07, 03:41 AM   #18
taku biru
A Defias Bandit
Because it is four in the morning and I decided to read this entire thread, I'm going to butt in and give my 2 cents.

I like the mazzlegasm (... should that be capitalized?). I think it's great. I'm not a fan of /yell, as I am not a screamer, but it was still very entertaining. Really, after clicking "Mazzify" and the UI reload, it felt like a *gasm of some kind My jaw dropped, breathing and heart-rate increased, and there may, or may not, have been excessive warmth in my loins.

I like the throttle idea. Maybe varying levels of mazzlegasms? Or perhaps a %-chance to have a screaming mazzlegasm?

I am loving MazzleUI, and would like to thank Mazzle and associates for all the work put into the development. Extra special thanks for all the thought that went into making a unified and effecient UI. The above suggestions are only that: suggestions. I am a fan of the mazzlegasm, and clearly Mazzle has strong feelings about it, but so many people are complaining, I just wanted to help the situation if I could.

All of that being said, I leave you with my final thought on the matter: I have control over my UI, and you have control over yours.

02-10-07, 11:37 AM   #19
wgbknight
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by dorlf

I too was a tad disappointed when I saw the mazzlegasm thing. While not particularily offensive, it annoyed me because I am a control freak, and control over my character & UI is the reason I was interested in MazzleUI in the first place.
Not sure if this has already been asked, but do you get mad when your chat channels change when you go from one zone to another? You are not in control in that situation.

It's not like this UI has your toon yelling this every 30 seconds or everytime you attack.

02-10-07, 12:09 PM   #20
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
wgbknight - Terrible example and flawed logic.

I expect and want my chat channels to change when I change zones. I choose my addons and UIs to serve very specific purposes. If an addon doesn't do what I need from it, I dont use it. If it does something I don't want it to, I either fix it or don't use it. And no, the Mazzlegasm thing only fires when you reload through the mazzifier, so it isn't happening every 30 seconds or whatever. As previously mentioned I'm an extreme tweaker and am still resetting the mazzifier to try and get it perfect, so the mazzlegasm thing would have really gotten to me at this point (the choke mazz mentioned earlier would have alleviated some of that).

A better example would be something akin to downloading an MP3 player on your computer that blasts funkytown during the install process. I love MP3's and I even like funkytown, but if I wanted it to play I would have done it myself.

That being said, its the "if you dont like it, don't use it" mentality that bothers me the most. MazzleUI is awesome, and being annoyed by some bells and whistles aspect of it would be a terrible reason to not use the addon. It detracts from the community and the impact of Mazzle's work.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleGASM FAQ