05-19-09, 09:00 AM   #221
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Its ment to be command line because authors use it in their SVN hooks and such. A GUI module could be made for Minion to upload but how is that any easier than the web interface if you need to use a GUI?
I missed this post.

My answer -

Because it would be cool!!! We all like cool stuff, right?

(And sorry, I am emoticon challenged, I only got ones I can click on to insert into a post )

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
05-19-09, 09:39 AM   #222
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by bknab View Post
I completely agree, reminds me of the inconsiderate ***holes at my old job. We had a fridge in the break room, and I might leave a drink in there or maybe a sandwich or something, people would eat my or anyone's food for that matter. The next day I'd get this line, "Hey man, I'm sorry but, I was really hungry so I ate your sandwich, hope its not a big deal."

Yes it's a big deal!! Now I don't have lunch today!
You are one of those people who keeps comparing software and physical goods, but do not realise that you can't steal software.
Stealing is when victim looses something. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if someone took your sandwitch, copied/cloned it and eaten a copy while leaving your one intact.

It is incorrect when BSA says that when you install pirated software you steal from vendor, simply because if you were forced to buy it you might aswell most likely decide not to.
Even more stupid it is to call downloading software that is free of change in the first place - stealing.
05-19-09, 09:47 AM   #223
Bri-an
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up

its a right choice from curse and wowinterface because of that bandwidth and i like their own servers the only problem is it will get some time before an addon will be updated on wowmatrix because they need to download it on its own so thats why i dont gonna use wowmatrix
05-19-09, 10:48 AM   #224
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
You are one of those people who keeps comparing software and physical goods, but do not realise that you can't steal software.
Stealing is when victim looses something. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if someone took your sandwitch, copied/cloned it and eaten a copy while leaving your one intact.
It's a good job you can copy bandwidth then isn't it?

It is incorrect when BSA says that when you install pirated software you steal from vendor, simply because if you were forced to buy it you might aswell most likely decide not to.
O'rly?
05-19-09, 11:01 AM   #225
pomr
A Kobold Labourer

Updating is a snap really.

Go to:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/latest.php

It shows the things that have updated here recently. I believe CURSE has the same functionality.

Look through the things that have updated, update what you want, enjoy a smattering of new stuff that may have been released when you weren't looking, go on to gaming.

It doesn't take anywhere near as long as some people think. But people like to complain and whine whenever things change.
05-19-09, 12:46 PM   #226
techsgtchen
A Theradrim Guardian

Lightbulb

I think that maybe running the wowmatrix.exe file is a lot easier, and less time consuming; Than, setting up a favorite list for multiple websites and then clicking, a couple times, for each unique addon that was updated; and/or running other more clunky, and more intrusive, addon managers. I feel that maybe people are lazy and want to spend more time playing WoW, than navigating the net; Especially on a patch day like 3.1.1.

I also think that maybe all sides can carry their respective crosses for as long as they wish, or they can deal with how things are now; Which, seems that everyone is using their respective bandwidth.
05-19-09, 12:55 PM   #227
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by techsgtchen View Post
I also think that maybe all sides can carry their respective crosses for as long as they wish, or they can deal with how things are now; Which, seems that everyone is using their respective bandwidth.
This is it all in a nutshell. Decisions have been made. They were not knee-jerk reactions regardless of what people (on both sides) will choose to assume. Unless someone can come up with truly compelling reasons in either case, you will not convince the entrenched folks on either side to change their stances. Its much like debating politics. And we all know how those conversations turn out.

Time to accept the situation for what it is, make personal adjustments and move on.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-19-09, 02:30 PM   #228
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post

Time to accept the situation for what it is, make personal adjustments and move on.
An epic win statement if I ever heard one. If I had room in my sig, Id add it.
05-19-09, 04:01 PM   #229
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Lightbulb This is me with a clue-by-four upside your head.

Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
You are one of those people who keeps comparing software and physical goods, but do not realise that you can't steal software. Stealing is when victim looses something. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if someone took your sandwitch, copied/cloned it and eaten a copy while leaving your one intact.

It is incorrect when BSA says that when you install pirated software you steal from vendor, simply because if you were forced to buy it you might aswell most likely decide not to. Even more stupid it is to call downloading software that is free of charge in the first place - stealing.
Something so amazingly inane was said that I am delurking this thread now.

You lack a greater knowledge of economics and laws concerning the following things: intellectually property rights, copyright, and hacking. You said:
Stealing is when the victim loses something.
I want you to remember you said that, because today, you're going to get a lesson on how pirating software is stealing.

Developer Nick has an idea for a great peace of software and goes to work producing it. Now, he has an amazing peace of software and decides that it's working so well for him that others should be able to enjoy it. Of course, he's a red-blooded, capitalist American, and he wants to make a buck or two off his work (which is his fair right since he's the one who made it — we call this intellectual property and copyright law). He hires Joel's Marketing Agency (and now he needs to make money off it to cover Joel's fees and desire for profit) to sell it for him since he's absolutely inept at dealing with people enough to sell his product. (He's a developer; mirite?! Don't take it personal, guys. I love you, and you know it.) Joel decides the product would sell best at Sean's Software Retail. Sean has to sell it at a price that will cover the price handed to him by Joel (which meets Joel's fees and Joel and Nick's desire to make money), and he also has to cover the cost of his storefront and all the overhead that comes with it (in addition to his own desire to make a profit). Now, there is a concrete price for end users to pay in the purchase of the product. There is quite a bit of mark-up in the final price, but that's how it goes.

What Nick, Joel, and Sean don't know is that end user Nate who purchased the product is actually Pirate Nate (yar!), and Pirate Nate thinks the product is over-priced. Furthermore, he thinks the product is so good that everyone should have it. Pirate Nate creates a torrent of the software and uses a p2p torrent program to distribute it free of charge.

Pirate Nate has just committed theft against Nick, Joel, and Sean because he is reducing the number of potential customers that would pay for the product. If Nick, Joel, and Sean ever managed to sue Nate or if Nate ever got apprehended for it, a judge would rule that Nate has stolen money by preventing Nick, Joel, and Sean from making money. Not only so, but Nick, Joel, and Sean have lost potential customers, and in business law, potential customers are deemed real property. Furthermore, anyone who downloaded the torrent of the software is guilty (should they be caught) of being in possession of a stolen item, and that also is prosecutable in a court of law whether they actually committed the theft or not. Pirate Nate is guiltier still of violating Nick's intellectual property rights and copyright permissions by distrubuting Nick's software by methods to which Nick has not agreed and without Nick's permission.

Let's say Nick and Joel decide that rather than sell the product through Sean's Retail, they're going to set up a website on which Nick can sell his software. To offset the cost of the site's upkeep, Nick makes agreements with several advertisers who put up banner adds on his site and then pay him for the amount of hits they get on their sites based on how many people clicked ads from his. Pirate Nate, having seen the software, decides for his own reasons to bypass the security of Nick's site, download the software for free, and then (as in the previous example) pass it off through a p2p program. He is, as before, guilty of theft, but this time it has changed a little. Nick is not only losing money from the sale of his product, but he is losing money based on the hits from his banner ads. Furthermore, his advertisers are losing potential sales and customers. Because of this, a court would rule Nate's actions as theft against Nick, Joel, and Nick's advertisers, a violation of intellectual property and copyright laws, and Nate would further be guilty of hacking because he bypassed the security of Nick's site.

WoWMatrix hasn't behaved any differently than Pirate Nate in my example. The methods by which they make add-ons available to the public involve hacking, a vilation of intellectual property and copyright law, and theft for all the same reasons Nate's methods did. WM's methods just happen to be a little more grey than Nate's.

You may think the law is "stupid" or BSA is incorrect and side with Pirate Nate and WM, but the law is what it is so that Developer Nick and the people who make the mods you enjoy can be protected. It's their software, and they should have a say in how it gets distributed and who distributes it for them if they don't want to distribute it themselves. Like it or lump it, those are the facts.

I'm not going to stop you from having your perspective, but as long as you realize that everything I've said here is truth, I can agree to disagree with you about your perspective.

Time to...move on.
Move on!
Qftbfs. (Quoted for truth, and bolded for significance.)

Last edited by us2006027321 : 05-19-09 at 04:04 PM.
05-19-09, 04:51 PM   #230
isaacquotien
Premium Member
Premium Member
while the response above is definitely a good lesson on piracy......i really dont see how it applies to wowmatrix.

wowmatrix does not equate with pirate nate....because..to do so would equate nick with curse.....or even it it was supposed to be an addon author....the bottom line is that according to the story, they are in the business of making money.

Blizzard has PLAINLY STATED THAT ADDONS TO THE GAME ARE NOT TO PAID FOR....which is why carbonite and others had to cease and desist.

so then we move back to the donation realm, to which i have donated to authors i have wanted to and so have others i am sure. but thats the point.....ITS A DONATION, which means that there is NO EXPECTATION OF PAY IN RETURN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE SOFTWARE.

So my question is how can there be piracy of something that has been determined by the DEVELOPER of the original content to be FREE.

now in terms of bandwidth....this appears to be something that is claimed as being stolen.....where as the truth of the matter is that the websites by their structure allowed for automated downloading...they just want you to use THEIR downloading tool....curse tried that for awhile and in the competitive market they FAILED...their updater sucked.....so (in my opinion) they resorted to killing the competition. the real crux is that the websites like this wonderful site rely on donations and advertising to pay the fee that THEY ENCURE in DECIDING to HOST the addons that they do.

all wowmatrix did in terms of bandwidth was go get the addons that i would have to do manually....thats the ONLY bandwidth issue.....but....because wowmatrix went and got them for me....remember....I AM DIRECTING wowmatrix to get them for me (and only me)....I am not directing wowmatrix to go and them for my entire guild or anything like that.....then...the problem comes down to the fact that i didnt have to go to the website and and therefore the "number hits" on the website goes down....which impacts the revenue generation based on advertising....while the bandwidth stays the same.

individual websites are purely within their right to take steps to restrict access in order to limit costs incurred.

In all of these posts, it seems that people want to make one side or the other the bad guys....but thats really not the case in my opinion.

I do think that there could have been better choices made on both sides that probably could have resulted in a collaborative effort that would have been a win-win....but thats just me. My bet is that, as in so many other areas of life, ego's got involved....positions became hardened, and decisions were made in self interest rather than the greater good.

where does that leave us.....well....i use wowmatrix to update the addons that they have available....and i am back to going to wowI to get the addons they have...and curse to get the addons they have....which is what curse and wowI needed in order to generate revenue to continue hosting thier stuff.

I am saddened that there wasn't a way found to work together, as it just makes it harder on me....but...since wowmatrix has an updater that is FREE and WORKS with a simple interface and one click update....i will gladly donate to them in order to increase the number addons they can support and reduce the bandwidth impact of downloads for curse and wowI so that it falls in line with their business model and they can afford the bandwidth they need. I will continue to donate to wowI because its just such a cool site and i enjoy the atmosphere!!! As far as curse goes, i have never really cared for their site and will NEVER click on an add or pay for any service from them and if i can back to a time when i dont have to go their website to get addons that would be wonderful.

Most importantly.....as a consumer, i will let my money speak and donate to the things I CHOOSE to.

I will leave you with one final thought...........i imagine that the best thing in the world is to have your website or addon used by the majority of World of Warcraft users....and the worst thing in the world is to have your website or addon used by the majority of the 13MILLION WOW users.

hehe - I applaud all of you who have to put up with that headache.
05-19-09, 06:30 PM   #231
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by techsgtchen View Post
I think that maybe running the wowmatrix.exe file is a lot easier, and less time consuming; Than, setting up a favorite list for multiple websites and then clicking, a couple times, for each unique addon that was updated; and/or running other more clunky, and more intrusive, addon managers. I feel that maybe people are lazy and want to spend more time playing WoW, than navigating the net; Especially on a patch day like 3.1.1.
Personally I don't see a problem with using an automatic updater client from time to time. If that's floats your boat more power to you.

The attitude I'm trying to change at the moment is the attitude that you *must* update your addons every day or every 2 days. That you *must* download every update for every one of you mods. And that the only easy and fast way to do so is an automatic updater program.

People are so terrified of what would happen if they don't update their addons that they don't consider the possibility of not updating as frequently as they do. These people posting saying an automatic updater program saves them time - can I safely assume that for a program like this to be a time saver for them they do this process on a semi regular basis ?

If you examine the change log for an addon update before downloading then you'll come to the realisation that you don't need to download 70% of the addon updates out there (maybe slightly lower if you actually do play in a locale other than English).

When you have a UI that's stable ie it's not coming up with red errors and not doing weird/strange/unexpected stuff then you can afford NOT to update for a while. I know it sounds Heretical but I use 89 addons (taking out multipart addons etc) . I have not updated a single addon since May 03. And I'm not getting any errors or weird stuff happen at all.

So if people would only move the frequency they were updating to every week or even every 2 weeks on matainence(sp?) day then they would see it doesn't matter how you update and how long you take. If it takes you 5 minutes , 15 minutes or an hour. It doesn't matter as it's a process you're not going to be doing that often. Does it really matter how long a task takes if you don't do it very often ?

EG I back up to an external HD every 3-4 weeks. I could download a tool to do this manually for me but I don't use it. I usually only do this when the server's down and I have a full night of stuff other then wow to do. It doesn't matter to me if it takes 30 minutes to complete it or 2 hrs ....
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-19-09, 06:34 PM   #232
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

My analogy simplified...

Text-well incoming... Please don't respond if you're going to TL: DR the thing.

Originally Posted by isaacquotien View Post
while the response above is definitely a good lesson on piracy......i really dont see how it applies to wowmatrix.

wowmatrix does not equate with pirate nate....because..to do so would equate nick with curse.....or even it it was supposed to be an addon author....the bottom line is that according to the story, they are in the business of making money.
You're missing something crucial in my analogy, and you have misassigned identities. There are four entity types at work in the real situation: the developer, the people who make the developers work available at the dev's request, the end user, and the person violating the dev's rights and stealing from the dev and the dev's representative. In my analogy, the dev was Nick, the dev's rep was Joel, the end user was the end user, and the hacker was Nate. Sean was just a necessary bystander in the analogy. In reality, Nick would be the add-on devoper, Joel would be Curse or WoWInterface, and Nate would be WoWMatrix, and here's why:

The add-on developers have chosen to make their add-ons available expressly by WoWI and Curse. There are reasons for this! WoWI and Curse make developer tools available and also give the developers the opportunity to openly solicit donations. The developers have the right as given to them by intellectual and copyright property laws to restrict who hosts their add-ons. WoWMatrix walked in and began violating all kinds of laws right and left by the steps they were taking to make add-ons available to their users and here's how:

Deep-linking
This is similar to how some people post backgrounds on their MySpace pages. A MySpace user sees a background he likes, copies the url and uses and "img src" HTML tag to post the website's image to their own page without hosting it themselves through their own account on an image-hosting site (which isn't always legal either). The original website only has so much bandwidth available for that kind of access. Every time someone visits that MySpace user's page and sees the background, the MySpace user actually uses some of the original website's bandwidth.

A similar transaction was taking place every time WoWMatrix "deep-linked" certain add-ons. WoWMatrix, rather than host the mod on their own site, would hot-link to Curse or WoWInterface in order for their users to download the add-on. This would use up Curse or WoWInterface's bandwidth. The usage of bandwidth isn't so much the issue. Yes, it's true that the bandwidth would be used whether the users went through WoWMatrix, WoWInterface, or Curse. The problem comes in when you consider that (much like in my analogy) WoW and CC are paying for their bandwidth through the banner adds on their repsective sites. If WM is deep-linking, people are using bandwidth without seeing the adds that sponsor the bandwidth. The add sponsors are losing potential customers, and herein lies the crime of theft (as explained in my analogy). Furthermore, WM is violating copyright and intellectual property laws because they do not have the express permission of the developers to make the add-on available (with exception to the add-ons that were appropriately licensed for that hosting).

I should note that in my explanation of deep-linking, I have compared it to hot-linking, and I'm aware they are not the same. They are similar (word I used intentionally), and that is why I have compared them.

Hosting
WoWMatrix did not deep-link all the add-ons they made available. Some of them were being hosted as a result of an exploitation of certain copyright and intellectual property laws. While they didn't have the dev's express consent, it was legal. There were times, however, when a dev would find out what was going on and ask WM not to host their add-on anymore. Sometimes, WM would comply, and sometimes, they would not. (Mind you, I'm not implying any malicious intent here. I'm sure some communications just got lost in the cracks. ) When WM did not comply with the dev's request, they were then in violation of those laws. In several cases, when they did comply with the dev's request, they would resort back to deep-linking in order to make the add-on available, and we've discussed the legality of that (or the lack thereof). In many situations, they weren't crediting the dev's for their work which, according to the licenses, is never legal.

Code and/or File Alteration
In some instances, WoWMatrix was providing altered versions of the add-ons they were hosting. I don't know that they themselves were altering the code, and I have no proof to that end. There is the possibility that someone was altering before it got to them. We're not sure what was going on there, and WM has plausible deniability working in their favor, so we won't touch that too much. Whatever the source of the altered code, they were hosting it, and none of the licenses being applied to the dev's original work (to my knowledge) allow for altered work of the code, especially when it is being distributed under the same name as the same thing.

Allegations have been made that the specific lines of code that were being altered were ones concerning donations being made to the developer. Unless each developer has a 501(c)(3) tax exemption or they are umbrella'd with a 501(c)(3) organization, the "donations" they would be receiving would be considered profit by tax and business law. While removing these lines of code would be theft of potential profit, prosecuting that theft would leave the developers open for negative tax and legal repercussions. Regardless, the removal of those lines of code and hosting altered code are illegal.

Blizzard has PLAINLY STATED THAT ADDONS TO THE GAME ARE NOT TO PAID FOR....which is why carbonite and others had to cease and desist.

so then we move back to the donation realm, to which i have donated to authors i have wanted to and so have others i am sure. but thats the point.....ITS A DONATION, which means that there is NO EXPECTATION OF PAY IN RETURN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE SOFTWARE.

So my question is how can there be piracy of something that has been determined by the DEVELOPER of the original content to be FREE.
It is my pleasure to answer that question for you. The developer is not charging for the content, and neither are WoWI or Curse. Curse is the only one (to my knowledge) who was charging for anything, and the charge was for an optional premium membership, not for the add-ons themselves. Not only so, but Curse was in no way inhibiting anyone from downloading add-ons just because they didn't have a premium account. Albeit they are making it a little more cumbersome, they are not making it impossible. Therefore, on a strictly legal note, it isn't illegal for Curse to charge the way they are. (I should note that while I think it's not cool to do it and fully disagree with it, they are well within their rights to, and if someone wants to pay for Curse's service, Curse should have the opportunity to make the money. That's what happens when you live among capitalists.)

The piracy of the content itself comes in when WM is violating copyright and intellectual property rights, and I think I explained that fairly enough in my previous section.

now in terms of bandwidth....this appears to be something that is claimed as being stolen.....where as the truth of the matter is that the websites by their structure allowed for automated downloading...they just want you to use THEIR downloading tool....curse tried that for awhile and in the competitive market they FAILED...their updater sucked.....so (in my opinion) they resorted to killing the competition. the real crux is that the websites like this wonderful site rely on donations and advertising to pay the fee that THEY ENCURE in DECIDING to HOST the addons that they do.

all wowmatrix did in terms of bandwidth was go get the addons that i would have to do manually....thats the ONLY bandwidth issue.....but....because wowmatrix went and got them for me....remember....I AM DIRECTING wowmatrix to get them for me (and only me)....I am not directing wowmatrix to go and them for my entire guild or anything like that.....then...the problem comes down to the fact that i didnt have to go to the website and and therefore the "number hits" on the website goes down....which impacts the revenue generation based on advertising....while the bandwidth stays the same.
I agree with you that the Curse updater is... bothersome for me to use. (I'm being diplomatic. I like Cairenn and wish to respect her flame policy, but I also have to not violate my policy of being honest. ) I also agree with you that for a while the sites did have exploits for automated downloading. It is worth your attention to note however, that those were exploits, and it was not WoWI's or Curse's intention to have anyone automating downloads for their site that wasn't them or one of their users. In the situation of Curse where they are clearly out to make money in some fashion (insert a reference to premium memberships here), I would not be surprised that their motivation in part was to eliminate unfriendly competition. I have not seen anything from WoWI that says making money is their goal. I should also underscore to you the fact that Curse has allied themselves with WoWI, and WoWI could easily be competition. Ultimately, I don't think competition is the issue here. When one keeps an objective eye on the issue, no matter how petty it might seem to you, bandwidth really was the issue, and when WM did them the "favor" (LoL) of showing them exploits in their security, security got an upgrade.

It is legal for you, the end user, to download content from the original source in ways that are legally compliant with copyright and intellectual property law. However, WM is not the end user, and what WM did was not fully legal. That is the ultimate problem.

As I've already stated, the issue of the deep-linking was robbing Curse's and WoWI's add sponsors of potential customers and was therefore illegal, but it's also just flat-out disrespectful. They were asked to stop, and they didn't. WM had several chances to rectify the problem. When they started out, they could have asked Curse and WoWI for help in making add-ons available to everyone. Instead, they walked every legal line they could (and even crossed them in may instances), and when they were asked to just cut losses and go away, they wouldn't.

individual websites are purely within their right to take steps to restrict access in order to limit costs incurred.
You bet they are!

In all of these posts, it seems that people want to make one side or the other the bad guys....but thats really not the case in my opinion.
I respect the objectivity of your statement. It's up to you how much you consider the emotional issue of the morality associated with everyone's actions, and I'm glad you're capable of seperating that from what's going on, but if you simply take the stance of an imformed, objective observer, you can't help but see the primary illegality of WM's actions.

I do think that there could have been better choices made on both sides that probably could have resulted in a collaborative effort that would have been a win-win....but thats just me. My bet is that, as in so many other areas of life, ego's got involved....positions became hardened, and decisions were made in self interest rather than the greater good.
I think that is the most objective thing you've said among all the objective things you've said, and I agree with you that had egos not been involved and diplomacy been better exercised, it is likely that most of this could have been avoided.

where does that leave us.....well....i use wowmatrix to update the addons that they have available....and i am back to going to wowI to get the addons they have...and curse to get the addons they have....which is what curse and wowI needed in order to generate revenue to continue hosting thier stuff.

I am saddened that there wasn't a way found to work together, as it just makes it harder on me....but...since wowmatrix has an updater that is FREE and WORKS with a simple interface and one click update....i will gladly donate to them in order to increase the number addons they can support and reduce the bandwidth impact of downloads for curse and wowI so that it falls in line with their business model and they can afford the bandwidth they need. I will continue to donate to wowI because its just such a cool site and i enjoy the atmosphere!!! As far as curse goes, i have never really cared for their site and will NEVER click on an add or pay for any service from them and if i can back to a time when i dont have to go their website to get addons that would be wonderful.

Most importantly.....as a consumer, i will let my money speak and donate to the things I CHOOSE to.
And you are well within your rights to make that decision. You should take a look at the WoWI's Minion when it is completed. From the sounds of it, WoWI found a way to legally and freely make it possible for everyone work together as much as they would be able to (after everything has happened) and still leave the ultimate control of who gets what from what site in the end users hands. I look forward to giving Minion a good try, and you should, too.

Last edited by us2006027321 : 05-20-09 at 12:25 AM.
05-19-09, 06:43 PM   #233
Bluspacecow

It doesn't matter if it's FREE.

What matters is the creator of that work owns copyright on it the moment it's produced. When an addon author saves his addon for the first time he owns copyright on it from then on until the day he dies (and a few years afterwards)

And part of Copyright is dictating how and where it gets distributed.

It being free does not invalidate an authors right to dictate how and where it gets distributed.

all wowmatrix did in terms of bandwidth was go get the addons that i would have to do manually

<snip>
..while the bandwidth stays the same.
This is a fallacy.

Funny thing about wowmatrix is it uses a particular set of development libraries/framework in the coding of it's app. A function of the thing it uses for it's code is if you have the right tool you can decompile programs written with it back to it's source code.

We've examined the source code (this includes Dolby network admin of this site).

It does not have a database of addons and where to download them.

It has a list of addon pages which it loads 2-3 times to get the download URL.

That is where the extra bandwidth comes from.

I am saddened that there wasn't a way found to work together, as it just makes it harder on me.
They did try to work with WM over several months. Wowmatrix never come to the party. They quoted ridiculous prices to work with Curse. They never answered Wow interface.

Kinda hard to find a way to "work together" when one side completely ignores the other now is it ?

PS Oh dear ! Another wall-of-text-post. Read with care my dears
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-19-09, 06:44 PM   #234
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

05-19-09, 06:44 PM   #235
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by honem View Post
PS Oh dear ! Another wall-of-text-post. Read with care my dears
Yet I do believe I said it in less words than ole' N8 did above
05-19-09, 06:56 PM   #236
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by honem View Post
Yet I do believe I said it in less words than ole' N8 did above
LoL I've noticed that when I phrase something intelligently and then give someone's intellect the beneifit of the doubt, I do more explaining later than I really wanted to, so I just cut to the chase and spell things out.

05-19-09, 11:12 PM   #237
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Totally off topic. I get a warm fuzzy feeling being quoted by 2 people back to back for a spur of the moment statement. I feel the love.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-19-09, 11:50 PM   #238
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post

Deep-linking
This is similar to how some people post backgrounds on their MySpace pages. A MySpace user sees a background he likes, copies the url and uses and "img src" HTML tag to post the website's image to their own page without hosting it themselves through their own account on an image-hosting site (which isn't always legal either). The original website only has so much bandwidth available for that kind of access. Every time someone visits that MySpace user's page and sees the background, the MySpace user actually uses some of the original website's bandwidth.

Just wanted to clarify... you're confusing deep linking with direct linking (aka hot linking). Direct linking is the explanation you've given above. =)

Edit: Thought some examples might help if anyone was confused.

Deep link: http://somesite.com/images/fruit/aboutapples.htm
Deep linked image: http://somesite.com/images/fruit/apples.gif

Direct linked/hot linked image:

The deep linked things are just links that go further into the site and are not on the main opening page of the site. You have to click on the links to go see them on another site. They don't show up here. The direct linked image shows up here because I'm direct linking the image from Photobucket.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-20-09 at 12:12 AM.
05-20-09, 12:21 AM   #239
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Just wanted to clarify... you're confusing deep linking with direct linking (aka hot linking). Direct linking is the explanation you've given above. =)

The deep linked things are just links that go further into the site and are not on the main opening page of the site. You have to click on the links to go see them on another site. They don't show up here. The direct linked image shows up here because I'm direct linking the image from Photobucket.
Oh, I'm well aware of their differences, and that's why when comparing them, I used the word "similar". They are similar in that the person hot-linking is still bone-jacking the original site's bandwidth.

05-20-09, 12:30 AM   #240
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
Oh, I'm well aware of their differences, and that's why when comparing them, I used the word "similar". They are similar in that the person hot-linking is still bone-jacking the original site's bandwidth.
Being a web hosting company owner, and at one time being paid to write cease and desist graphic/bandwidth theft letters for a graphics company, I can safely say they are not similar.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowMatrix Responds!