07-06-19, 04:24 PM   #1
Lund259
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb WoW Addon Manager beta - An addon manager for all versions of WoW

What is WoW Addon Manager?

I've created (and are still developing) WoW Addon Manager, which is an application that makes it easier to manage your addons. I created this application just for the fun in programming it, and i have no idea if this application will be useful to anyone, but as i have found it very useful while using it myself, i am now releasing it for everyone to use and contribute to.

What the application currently does:

The application is compatible with all versions of World of Warcraft.
  • Displays list of all installed addons with Title, Author, WoW version it was developed for, Website and description
    • The list can be sorted by clicking on the Column you want to sort it by.
    • You can also drag and drop the columns around if you don't like the default layout.
    • You can search and filter the list by typing in the search box. The list will update as you type.
  • Install Addons by selecting or dragging and dropping one or more .zip files or folders.
    • The application will automatically extract, move and rename all the folders/zips accordingly.
    • You can select as many .zip files as you want and the application will take care of all the installations
    • You can also drag and drop .zip files or folders containing addons into the "Addons tab" to automatically install all of them.
  • Uninstall Addons by selecting one or multiple addons from the list and clicking the "Uninstall Addons" button.
    • To select more than one addon you can: Drag the mouse, use CTRL + mouseclick or Shift.
  • Change your WoW installation folder at any time in the Settings menu.
    • When you change your installation folder the Addons list will automatically update.
    • I plan to implement the ability to have multiple WoW installations at a time and easily switch between them.
  • The menu is accessible by clicking on the "hamburger button" in the top left corner.
  • The application will display a quick notification if newer releases are available on Github.
  • The What's New? tab displays information about the changes in the latest versions.

If you have any suggestions, questions or bugs to report, please post here or on Github. And if you want to review the code or contribute on github that would be awesome as well!

https://github.com/Lund259/WoW-Addon-Manager

I hope someone somewhere will find this application useful Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Lund259 : 07-15-19 at 06:36 AM.
07-07-19, 12:37 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Lund259 View Post
... and rename all the folders accordingly.
What do you mean by this?

In the future i plan to implement some sort of online search to install addons from.
Do you mean using the site's bandwidth without actually giving the site any visitors? Or something else?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-08-19, 05:28 AM   #3
Lund259
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
What do you mean by this?
I think a lot of new players are intimidated by the whole process of downloading addons on github, unpacking them, renaming the folders to match the .toc files etc, and that's what i'm trying to make more user-friendly. Right now you just provide the zip file and the application will take care of everything for you. I think it'll help new users enter the addon scene.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Do you mean using the site's bandwidth without actually giving the site any visitors? Or something else?
Well i definitely have no intentions of stealing visitors from anyone. Like i said, i'm just trying to make the whole experience of installing addons more user-friendly. I haven't figured out where or how to source the addons yet. I'm still thinking about the best approach.
07-08-19, 03:09 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think a lot of new players are intimidated by the whole process of downloading addons on github, unpacking them, renaming the folders to match the .toc files etc
Typically users simply click the download button on wowinterface or curseforge and extract the addon to their addon folder, so this is a curious description of the installation process.
07-08-19, 04:40 PM   #5
Lund259
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Typically users simply click the download button on wowinterface or curseforge and extract the addon to their addon folder, so this is a curious description of the installation process.
When you download an addon from github it won't work if you extract it directly into your addon folder, because the archive will be named according to the branch you downloaded. Healbot-master for example. I have had friends who got confused why the addons from github wouldn't work out of the box.

This is one of the things that the application can take care of for you. Especially if you have an archive with multiple addons nested in different folders, it is much easier to just let an addon manager install it for you.

I agree installing addons isn't exactly rocket science, but i think newcomers and lazy people (like myself) will find the application useful. It also gives you a nice overview of your installed addons.

Also i just needed some project so work on in my spare time. Might as well release it. Then people can use it if they want to.
07-15-19, 06:40 AM   #6
Lund259
A Murloc Raider
WoW Addon Manager V0.2 Released

Just an update:

I just released V0.2 which brings some very handy features and quality of life improvements.
Here is the changelog:
  • Drag and drop to install
    • Drag and drop one or multiple zip files or folders into the Addons tab to automatically install everything
  • Ability to select or drag and drop multiple files at once for installation
  • Ability so install folders directly (not just zip files)
    • To install addons directly from a folder drag and drop the folder or folders into the Addons tab
  • Added the What's new tab
    • Will make it easier for users to know what new features have been implemented
    • Displays the currently installed addon version and the changelog from github
  • Added App icons, button icons and menu icons
08-24-19, 05:24 AM   #7
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

When you download an addon from github it won't work if you extract it directly into your addon folder, because the archive will be named according to the branch you downloaded. Healbot-master for example. I have had friends who got confused why the addons from github wouldn't work out of the box.
Your example is an exception, not the rule. Generally-speaking, people should only download from GitHub if a properly-packaged release is available on the release page. An add-on that's packaged properly will be structured in such a way that user only has to extract the package to their add-ons directory. Users shouldn't be downloading repo/branch packages.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » WoW Addon Manager beta - An addon manager for all versions of WoW