08-13-09, 09:49 AM   #1
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Spam Warning

Originally Posted by Blizzeyonix
Hi You have become a Blizzard lucky player, 3 days later you'll get a surprize gift of the mysterious, registered address:<bad site is bad>.
I got that today while I was working the long slow grind to 80, and I was flabbergasted when I noticed the spammer's name: Blizzeyonix. Some of you may recognize the name, "Eyonix," from the Blizzard forums.

These fools have gotten so arrogant that they are now immitating Blizzard GM's.

Don't be caught off-guard, folks. As always, legitimate Blizzard url's begin with "worldofwarcraft.com" or "blizzard.com" and nothing else. This excludes any url's that are a combination of the two site names or end in anything other than ".com". Also, a WoW GM will never pst you to advertize a promotion, and they will rarely whisper you unless you submitted a ticket first.

Always report these kinds of messages as spam using the "Report Spam" feature in the menu that appears when you right-click their names. It helps a lot.

Stay alert!

May all your hits be crits,
~ Nate

Last edited by us2006027321 : 08-13-09 at 09:54 AM.
08-13-09, 09:52 AM   #2
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I got one off "Billing".
08-13-09, 10:52 AM   #3
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
As always, legitimate Blizzard url's begin with "worldofwarcraft.com" or "blizzard.com" and nothing else.
Not always Mr Funny Numbers man. battle.net is the login server for merged battle net accounts. It's also the site that you manage your battle net account on. During the wrath beta there was a signup page that was something like beta.wrath.com or something. A better way to do is check if it's a Blizzard owned domain which leads me to :

A tutorial for figuring out if a Domain is Blizzard owned for the purposes of entering a wow username or password

1) Copy the URL
2) Go to domaintools.com
3) Paste in the URL you get into the Whois lookup field (the only one there)
4) Click "Search"

5) Now this is the whois record for that domain.

This will show where it's registered to , who by , their contact details and even its based.

6) If the whois records shows its NOT OWNED BY BLIZZARD then DO NOT PUT IN YOUR WOW ACCT NAME AND PASSWORD

7) If you gety stuck working it out compare it to a whois record of blizzard.com or worldofwarcraft.com

8) If in doubt simply never enter your username and password unless you see us.battle.net or eu.battle.net in the address bar.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 08-13-09 at 10:59 AM.
08-13-09, 02:12 PM   #4
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
If in doubt simply never enter your username and password unless you see us.battle.net or eu.battle.net in the address bar.
Thank you for bringing that up. I like the bottom line you drew it down to, and that keeps it simple. To be honest, the only people who get tricked by that kind of stuff kind of need it to be kept simple anyways if you know what I mean. ><

08-13-09, 06:10 PM   #5
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

Another thing I've noticed, if its a strictly in-game thing blizz does NOT whisper people, they send everyone a mail with the deets or use the message of the day. All other promotions can be found on the main website and/or via a link in the launcher. Knowing the actual blizz web addresses is always a good way to help spot the imposters though. The "blizzy" part of the names is what tipped me off before I even got as far as seeing the web address (which I knew wasn't a blizz one). I've unfortunately had to deal with a few in-game gm's...they just don't start their names with "blizzy". I'm sure they will rope in a few idiots tho with this ploy but it won't be me.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Spam Warning