02-13-11, 08:55 PM   #1
Othgar
"That" Guy

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
IE8 Freezing while on WOWI?????

So I've noticed this new trend in the last couple of days. Usually on the main page, but sometimes on other forum pages on the site IE8 stops responding. I don't have this problem anywhere else and have never had this problem before on here...any ideas?

02-15-11, 09:40 AM   #2
Othgar
"That" Guy

Still having this problem. Seems to me that it happens when loading certain ads. Status bar usually stops when it gets it get to loading .gif's 160x600. the is gettting really annoying. I have to restar IE 6-7 times just to read through the new posts everyday.

02-15-11, 09:51 AM   #3
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the updated info. I've let our ad team know about this problem and hopefully it will be fixed really soon. Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem on my end with IE8 but hopefully they can find the offending ad.

If you can its recommended that you run the latest version of adobe flash (or remove adobe flash). Older versions can be compromised to allow the installation of keyloggers.

Last edited by Dolby : 02-15-11 at 09:54 AM.
02-15-11, 10:06 AM   #4
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Wanted to report that I'm having the same problem with Firefox with no add ons installed.

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."
02-15-11, 10:07 AM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Firefox is crashing like the above poster or are you just getting script errors? Can you provide any more info?
02-15-11, 10:19 AM   #6
Othgar
"That" Guy

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Thanks for the updated info. I've let our ad team know about this problem and hopefully it will be fixed really soon. Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem on my end with IE8 but hopefully they can find the offending ad.

If you can its recommended that you run the latest version of adobe flash (or remove adobe flash). Older versions can be compromised to allow the installation of keyloggers.
I'll double check everything but I'm positive I'm up to date with everything on my end. If I can reproduce it a couple of times I'll try to see if I can get more details for you guys.

02-15-11, 10:21 AM   #7
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Firefox is crashing like the above poster or are you just getting script errors? Can you provide any more info?
Firefox is crashing. It goes into a "not responding" state when the status bar says that it's loading the ads and then hangs there, on random pages.

02-15-11, 10:22 AM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Does it list a domain for the ad?
02-15-11, 10:25 AM   #9
Othgar
"That" Guy

Just happened twice in a row right after I posted. status bar says:
Code:
waiting for http://www.s.wowinterface.com/code/300x250.html...
and then I got a dialog pop up that said a script on the page was making IE run slowly. If you choose to keep running this script IE may become unresponsive.

It looked to me like the ad right over the weekly pick was loading when it happened.

02-15-11, 10:25 AM   #10
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

It hasn't happened so far today and I didn't make a note of it before, but it was with any ad at all IIRC.

02-16-11, 06:55 PM   #11
Othgar
"That" Guy

Well the problem seems to have been cleared up. Two whole days and no freezes. Don't know what you guys did but it worked...Thanks!

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » IE8 Freezing while on WOWI?????