03-22-08, 10:03 PM   #1
Tsurani
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question 2 Quest Mod Questions

Question 1
Is Quest Objectives still in development? meaning can i expect more updates for patch 2.4 or is it an "out dated mod" that won't be updated anymore? I posted the same question in the Ace Forums but no one has replied back to me.

if it is the later, is there a mod that does the same thing or one that is better?

======

question #2

What is Questhelper? is it legit? it sounds A LOT like cartographer's Quest Objective. and it sounds almost too good to be true.

03-22-08, 10:27 PM   #2
0Blackmage0
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Might i brighten your day and suggest my personal Favorite Mobmap (http://mobmap.de) its possably the greatest addon i have ever used for leveling for finsing information about the game

03-23-08, 02:07 AM   #3
Tsurani
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by 0Blackmage0 View Post
Might i brighten your day and suggest my personal Favorite Mobmap (http://mobmap.de) its possably the greatest addon i have ever used for leveling for finsing information about the game
not to be a jerk or anything but i only download mods from wowace and from here. mainly cuz i trust the folks here, especially since it has an installer that is an .exe, with all the key loggers and other virii floating around.

Last edited by Tsurani : 03-23-08 at 02:11 AM.

03-23-08, 05:27 AM   #4
Arabeth
A Black Drake

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I use a combination of TourGuide, nQuestLog, LightHeaded and MobMap. Cartographer is good to provide the waypoint arrows to make it even easier and TourGuide links into TomTom to mark locations on the map.

Yes, MobMap has an installer, and it has an updater, but you don't have to use those, you can download the Addon (the main addon and dbs are separate) in the same way as you download from here and install it in the same fashion. These are all simply *.lua files and won't cause harm. I have included them in the UI I uploaded to here which is checked before it is published .

03-23-08, 05:59 AM   #5
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Tsurani View Post
not to be a jerk or anything but i only download mods from wowace and from here. mainly cuz i trust the folks here, especially since it has an installer that is an .exe, with all the key loggers and other virii floating around.
Sorry, this was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. This best sums up my thoughts on your comment...

From the web...

"There are many words in English that originated in Latin and retain the Latinate pluralization. We have alumnus/alumni, alumna/alumnae, bacterium/bacteria, etc. There are others that have two acceptable plurals, Latinate and English: gymnasium/gymnasia and gymnasiums, forum/fora and forums, helix/helices and helixes, etc.

The word virus certainly originated in Latin, but here is the problem with the "genius" who thinks that the "proper" plural is "virii". First of all, there is no reputable English dictionary that lists the word "virii". Second, and even more importantly, Latin words of a certain declension are pluralized by changing -us to -i, not -ii. Therefore, even in Latin, virus would not become "virii". Finally, while there was a word "viri" in Latin, it had nothing to do with "virus". The Latin word "virus" did not describe microorganisms. The Romans had no knowledge of such things. The Latin word "virus" meant venom, slime, stench and it had no plural. Modern scientists borrowed the word to name a certain "new" type of infectious agent. The plural of virus was then and is now "viruses".

Let's stamp out the use of the "word" virii. Only you can help you! Virii is pseudo-technical-pedantic garbage.

The word is VIRUSES.

Thanks

03-23-08, 06:09 AM   #6
mulesh
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

MobMap can indeed be downloaded and installed just like any other addon. The .exe that is available is simply a database updater program for the addon (which you do NOT need). I will also mention that it is created and maintained by Slartie, the same author that brought us Advanced Trade Skill Window.

P.S. The english lesson was very amusing

03-23-08, 10:54 AM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Mobmap is a great addon. Your missing out if you don't try it.

It is safe and as posted above is included in various UI packages here. Anything posted here is checked first before being accepted.

Manual Install Zip file -- HERE

English Data Files -- HERE

One thing about this site is they also promote other sites. Take the Top 75 addons page ... they link you to other sites if they don't carry it here. They also won't allow you to be sent to places that they don't trust themselves.

Also Cartographer Quest Objectives was updated 2 days ago at the WoWAce Site ... HERE

I'm sure if Cairenn and the others have a problem with MobMap they will delete these links as well as close this thread.

FYI ... I just downloaded the files and ran them through McAfee AV (Updated today as well) and they came up clean.

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-23-08 at 11:01 AM.

03-24-08, 01:48 PM   #8
Tsurani
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Sorry, this was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. This best sums up my thoughts on your comment...

From the web...

"There are many words in English that originated in Latin and retain the Latinate pluralization. We have alumnus/alumni, alumna/alumnae, bacterium/bacteria, etc. There are others that have two acceptable plurals, Latinate and English: gymnasium/gymnasia and gymnasiums, forum/fora and forums, helix/helices and helixes, etc.

The word virus certainly originated in Latin, but here is the problem with the "genius" who thinks that the "proper" plural is "virii". First of all, there is no reputable English dictionary that lists the word "virii". Second, and even more importantly, Latin words of a certain declension are pluralized by changing -us to -i, not -ii. Therefore, even in Latin, virus would not become "virii". Finally, while there was a word "viri" in Latin, it had nothing to do with "virus". The Latin word "virus" did not describe microorganisms. The Romans had no knowledge of such things. The Latin word "virus" meant venom, slime, stench and it had no plural. Modern scientists borrowed the word to name a certain "new" type of infectious agent. The plural of virus was then and is now "viruses".

Let's stamp out the use of the "word" virii. Only you can help you! Virii is pseudo-technical-pedantic garbage.

The word is VIRUSES.

Thanks
sorry but i have been useing the term virii since the days of the BBS (late 1970s) and the MUDs.

But i am old school (pushing 40 yrs old) heck i still use the term 4 bits and 6 bits, the terms "4 bits" and "6 bits" referred to fifty and seventy-five cents.

----------------------

*combining posts*

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Mobmap is a great addon. Your missing out if you don't try it.

It is safe and as posted above is included in various UI packages here. Anything posted here is checked first before being accepted.

Manual Install Zip file -- HERE

English Data Files -- HERE

One thing about this site is they also promote other sites. Take the Top 75 addons page ... they link you to other sites if they don't carry it here. They also won't allow you to be sent to places that they don't trust themselves.

Also Cartographer Quest Objectives was updated 2 days ago at the WoWAce Site ... HERE

I'm sure if Cairenn and the others have a problem with MobMap they will delete these links as well as close this thread.

FYI ... I just downloaded the files and ran them through McAfee AV (Updated today as well) and they came up clean.
Actually cartographer quest objective itself wasn't updated, but one of the embedded libs was, so when that happens all the mods that use that lib gets updated. the last change log for that mod was back on 14 feb 2008

http://files.wowace.com/Cartographer...ves-r61248.txt

----------------------

ok ya'll just wanted to make sure that mod was safe like i said there is a lot of mods out there that are far from safe. hence why so many accounts are hacked and stolen. i have been lucky enough to not be compromised yet (been playing wow since the beginning of closed beta). and that is cuz i am paranoid. cuz i know exactly what c0de monkeys can do (i used to be one).

Last edited by Tsurani : 03-24-08 at 02:05 PM. Reason: combine of posts

03-24-08, 03:10 PM   #9
Republic
Paladin

sorry but i have been useing the term virii since the days of the BBS (late 1970s) and the MUDs.

But i am old school (pushing 40 yrs old) heck i still use the term 4 bits and 6 bits, the terms "4 bits" and "6 bits" referred to fifty and seventy-five cents.
Virii has been nerdspeak for a long time. As I am also an older player who has been in the IT profession for a number of years, I have personally heard many of my own nerds use this term. That is why it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The way I see it, nerds use it to try to sound "technically superior" to the common person. While this may not be the case in your situation, the irony of this scenario is there is no such word as VIRII with regard to viruses as you have spoken about here (computer infections named after real infections). Thus, it is highly ignorant in my estimation and defeats the user's original purpose in choosing the word - to sound technically superior. To me, it DOESN'T accomplish this at all. It makes the person sound like a moron. In fact, it's the worst kind of moron - one who thinks they are technically elite.

2 minutes, 2 years, or 20 years usage still does not make it accurate. The word is VIRUSES.

03-24-08, 03:18 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Actually cartographer quest objective itself wasn't updated, but one of the embedded libs was, so when that happens all the mods that use that lib gets updated. the last change log for that mod was back on 14 feb 2008
Never thought of that thanks for pointing that out. But still the last update being a month ago hardly makes a mod "out of date". Unless it is broken .. not sure don't use it.

----------------------

ok ya'll just wanted to make sure that mod was safe like i said there is a lot of mods out there that are far from safe. hence why so many accounts are hacked and stolen. i have been lucky enough to not be compromised yet (been playing wow since the beginning of closed beta). and that is cuz i am paranoid. cuz i know exactly what c0de monkeys can do (i used to be one).
There is nothing wrong with being paranoid. I have been playing since beta as well. I have downloaded many many mods ... most from here, curse, ui and ace. As well as a handful from other sites like CTMod and mobmap.

Keyloggers can not be imbedded into wow lua files (correct me if im wrong). They can be in exe files which is why most addon sites dont carry them unless they get the OK first.

03-24-08, 03:46 PM   #11
Tsurani
A Black Drake

Talking

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Virii has been nerdspeak for a long time. As I am also an older player who has been in the IT profession for a number of years, I have personally heard many of my own nerds use this term. That is why it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The way I see it, nerds use it to try to sound "technically superior" to the common person. While this may not be the case in your situation, the irony of this scenario is there is no such word as VIRII with regard to viruses as you have spoken about here (computer infections named after real infections). Thus, it is highly ignorant in my estimation and defeats the user's original purpose in choosing the word - to sound technically superior. To me, it DOESN'T accomplish this at all. It makes the person sound like a moron. In fact, it's the worst kind of moron - one who thinks they are technically elite.

2 minutes, 2 years, or 20 years usage still does not make it accurate. The word is VIRUSES.
I will use words that I want to and who are you to try to stop me?

If you think me as a moron for using old school jargon then so be it. That is your opinion. But on the flip side I hate grammarians "The Soup Nazi of copy editors and proofreaders," that have nothing better to do with their pathetic life than correct another person’s spelling in a forum or game (virtual world).

Sure in everyday business I use proper grammar and I cross my T’s and dot my I’s but in a virtual forum I don’t see a need for it. If the person I am talking to understands the words on the screen then it is all good.

Barry Leiba, a technical researcher at IBM and author of the delightful blog "Staring At Empty Pages," said
there are "exactly four" situations where it's all right to correct someone's grammar: (1) when you're an English teacher correcting a student, (2) when you're coaching a nonnative speaker who's asked for help, (3) when someone else has asked for coaching, or (4) when someone puts the equivalent of a "kick me" sign on her back.
Last, I checked I graduated a CSU with a Masters back in the early 90’s. However, if you want to turn this into a battle of wits or a debate let us take it to the OT forums not the Mod discussion forum.

03-24-08, 03:49 PM   #12
Tsurani
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Never thought of that thanks for pointing that out. But still the last update being a month ago hardly makes a mod "out of date". Unless it is broken .. not sure don't use it.

----------------------

There is nothing wrong with being paranoid. I have been playing since beta as well. I have downloaded many many mods ... most from here, curse, ui and ace. As well as a handful from other sites like CTMod and mobmap.

Keyloggers can not be imbedded into wow lua files (correct me if im wrong). They can be in exe files which is why most addon sites dont carry them unless they get the OK first.
ya that is why i was paranoid about the mob map. and no key loggers can not be embedded in .lua files

03-24-08, 04:15 PM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I will use words that I want to and who are you to try to stop me?

If you think me as a moron for using old school jargon then so be it. That is your opinion. But on the flip side I hate grammarians "The Soup Nazi of copy editors and proofreaders," that have nothing better to do with their pathetic life than correct another person’s spelling in a forum or game (virtual world).

Sure in everyday business I use proper grammar and I cross my T’s and dot my I’s but in a virtual forum I don’t see a need for it. If the person I am talking to understands the words on the screen then it is all good.

Barry Leiba, a technical researcher at IBM and author of the delightful blog "Staring At Empty Pages," said

Last, I checked I graduated a CSU with a Masters back in the early 90’s. However, if you want to turn this into a battle of wits or a debate let us take it to the OT forums not the Mod discussion forum.
Wow... I hope you feel better now... I certainly do!

03-24-08, 05:02 PM   #14
Tsurani
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Wow... I hope you feel better now... I certainly do!
yes sir/ma'am i do

03-24-08, 06:02 PM   #15
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

See I used to almost be able to "speak" Latin back in the days, but I have been so geekified by the system that things like this do not even strike me any more. Now if everyone was to speak LOLCAT such issues would never occur. Maybe this would also reduce the amount of complex ideas one can write down. Just by a tiny bit.

03-24-08, 06:35 PM   #16
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Okay folks let's tone down the hostility and get back on track, please? Surely "virii" vs "viruses" is not on the topic of "2 Quest Mod Questions." If you want to make the discussion, do it in the chit chat forum and do it without belittling each other.

Thanks
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

03-24-08, 11:32 PM   #17
Republic
Paladin

Last, I checked I graduated a CSU with a Masters back in the early 90’s. However, if you want to turn this into a battle of wits
That's precisely the reason you shouldn't use words that make you sound like a fool. Battle of wits? Calm down Cochise. I'd hate for you to "pwn" me or whatever the kids are calling it these days. <eye roll>

As you were private...relax.

03-25-08, 09:42 AM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Enough. One more comment and the thread will be locked. Please keep it on topic and civil.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-25-08, 10:25 AM   #19
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

All I gotta say is.....Wow! (No.....no pun intended, either! )

What a blast from the past back to the days of grade school playground bickering over nothing.

Grow up and act the ages you two claim to be!

/whisper Seerah Sorry, but after reading this thread, I had to say something. Let it be known, though, I toned down the flame-inducing 'few-choice-words' I had originally intended on using.

03-25-08, 10:29 AM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
ShadowProwler420, if you could think enough to tone it down, then you could have thought enough to not post at all. I specifically stated that the thread would be locked after one more comment that was not on topic and civil.

I am sorry to the OP, I hope that you got all of your questions answered. If not, please feel free to create a new thread.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » 2 Quest Mod Questions