04-27-08, 05:40 AM   #1
bellak
A Murloc Raider
WOWInterface Requirements - ID and Password?

I stumbled upon this tool this morning and thought I would try it out. After verifying the prerequisites, I installed and launched the program, only to be prompted for a user name and password. This would not be a big deal if I was expecting it, and knew what ID and password it was requesting. Without expecting authentication this feels like a Trojan program and cannot be trusted.

I would suggest you include info on your site about this prerequisite, as well as a readme note to explain better what is needed and why.

-Thanks
04-27-08, 06:42 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
can you please include more info about this program? I'm not aware of anything from Ace that requires a login from us.
04-27-08, 08:44 AM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm pretty sure it is the Username and Password of your WoWI account. This is needed to bring up your favorites list to make updating even easier.

HTH
04-27-08, 11:34 AM   #4
bellak
A Murloc Raider
WoWInterface UI Manager

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
can you please include more info about this program? I'm not aware of anything from Ace that requires a login from us.
The program I am refering to is the WoWInterface UI Manager program. When you first launch it it asks for a userID and password. It is the credentials for this site (www.wowinterface.com), but at the time I did not have credentials for this site. Also, it doesn't really say what credentials it is asking for. My initial thought was that it wanted my wow account info, which of course I know now, that's not what it wanted..
04-27-08, 11:38 AM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Ahh ok, you had me confused since you posted in the Ace forum and you didnt really say what program you were using. hehe.

The next version of the updater I think will be more clear. The patcher no longer needs your password to get your favorites list, the application just needs to be updated not to ask for it. I'm Shirik the author of the updater can let you in on more.
04-27-08, 04:13 PM   #6
bellak
A Murloc Raider
Sorry for the confusion

Sorry for the confusion,,,I'm new to this site and thought I followed the right trail! lol. I like the code and think you are on to a great tool. It is still a little rough around the edges and could be a little more automated when looking for new, or updating existing addons.
With that said, I'm sure you have a 'real' job in life and don't spend your life working on this code! So, it's off too a good start! One question though,,how is your tool going to be different than the 'curse' updater client?

-Thanks
04-27-08, 04:33 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by bellak View Post
One question though,,how is your tool going to be different than the 'curse' updater client?

-Thanks
Hmm, lemme see here. The Curse updater works for the Curse site. Our updater works for ours.

FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-27-08, 05:38 PM   #8
bellak
A Murloc Raider
sarcasm detected..

OK, I didn't mean to undermine your efforts, let me rephrase my question - Does your app (or will your app) find updates to addons that have not been registered on your site by the developer? The reason I ask is the is a 'slight chance' wow users 'might' have addons that are not from your site. (of course, I don't know why they would..!)
04-27-08, 06:11 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
It was intended as gentle teasing. Hence the silly tongue-sticking-out smilie.

No undermining of efforts detected, no worries.

No, we won't be pulling from other sites for a couple of reasons:

a) that is violation of author copyright (redistribution) - if they want us to be able to distribute their mods for them, they upload here;
b) because the authors aren't uploading to it themselves it isn't current, so authors get users b!tching at them about bugs that they've already fixed and users are getting old versions that may have problems;
c) you don't go pulling from someone else's site without their permission (see a), plus the fact that it takes away their page views and ad impressions, all of which are big no nos.

Other apps do these things, but we won't. I know it is less than convenient for our users, for which I'm sorry, but to do otherwise wouldn't be moral, ethical or legal. Sorry. =/

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-12-08 at 11:24 AM.
04-29-08, 04:46 PM   #10
bellak
A Murloc Raider
Ethics on the internet - Is there such a thing?;)

Ethics on the internet - Is there such a thing? That is refreshing....

Thanks for your candor. I think you are taking the right approach Keep up the good work!

-mek
04-29-08, 04:51 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I know, it's an incredible concept to grasp, isn't it?

Thanks for understanding why we won't go that route.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-30-08, 02:08 AM   #12
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
But why should I not behave like a dickhead, when I have anonymity?!?!
06-05-08, 11:12 PM   #13
Skylerzio
A Murloc Raider
Is there going to be a way for The WowInterface UI Manager to Automatically check what Addons you have installed? I'm quite lost in that, I have downloaded the mazzlefizz Core pack, and then the Huge add on pack for it. When I run the program, I get all the add ons are suspended and Need more info, that being The UID. I really dont want to go through the 50+ trying to find ID numbers. This is Something that Maybe you could Implement?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » WOWInterface Requirements - ID and Password?