A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm still here.

07-07-09, 03:52 PM   #3
Pyrophoric
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I'm still here.

Started to wonder since there hasnt been a post made in weeks.

07-07-09, 04:36 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm still here too

07-08-09, 01:41 AM   #5
Raventiger
A Cyclonian

I'm here as well, but I've been missing in action for a bit. What's been happening with Carbonite recently?

07-08-09, 08:09 AM   #6
Pyrophoric
A Cyclonian
Not much, from what I can tell. There hasn't been an update in well over a month and as you can see many people aren't really coming on the supporters forum anymore.

07-08-09, 12:29 PM   #7
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
There has not been a reason to come here. There has not been a update in 45 days. Seems like it is a ghost town. I know it all is working but there are things that need updating. I read there is something new in the works for 3.2 and the quest system. Not seem what changes it will make. I wonder what effect it will have on Carbonite.

faldiin

07-08-09, 12:44 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I believe 3.2 has killed Carb on the PTR so an update will be needed by then.

Chances are that is also when they will add all the new stuff they may have been working on.

Sadly though I think Carb is dying a slow death.

07-08-09, 02:01 PM   #9
Pyrophoric
A Cyclonian
Yeah, I have continued to contribute but thinking about stopping after 3.2 depending on what happens.

I tried Cartographer 3 and while it is missing quite a few features, it also has some additional ones. Mainly, the only thing I am missing from Cartographer is having the minimap attached to the map itself (which I use for mining/finding ore).

That said, I love it's feature to render instance maps for northrend.

Personally, I am still waiting to see what comes from the voting that was done for Carbonite. People are donating and voting but virtually no information is coming to show signs that any of the features will ever be implemented.

07-15-09, 07:48 AM   #10
Sythalin
Curse staff

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling ripped off at this point. Supporters are donating to continute development, but there's a complete lack of development in the past month and a half.

But the devs said they are working on 2 other projects and that an update will come for 3.2. Unfortunately, it's unknown if this update will come with the patch or a while afterwards. We'll just have to see.

07-15-09, 08:11 AM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm betting that the two other projects are money makers, and that's why we haven't seen any type of updates for Carbonite.

Feeling ripped off doesn't begin to describe it.

07-15-09, 12:30 PM   #12
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Can almost guarantee that those two other projects have nothing to do with WoW. They are where the money is right now so that's where they are going to develop their software.

The problem I see is if you want to make money on a donation based project you need to support it more whether it be by updating or at the very least support on these forums. There has been nothing. When the project looks dead your supporters stop supporting. I know I won't donate because of the lack of support I see here. I will probably donate with the 3.2 release. But if they want continued support from me they need to earn it.

They say they have 3.2 will bring an update to carb. Hopefully it is right around patch day but for some reason I see a delay in the release because I have a feeling they are not testing on te PTR.

07-16-09, 10:33 AM   #13
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'm still here, but I'm waiting to see what the next release brings. I daren't make any more feature requests until then

07-17-09, 03:36 PM   #14
x Hexagon x
A Murloc Raider
Can't really blame them... they did say that income was way down when they went to a donation system.

They need to eat and support their families... and if the money is not there for carb...

07-17-09, 09:43 PM   #15
avid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by x Hexagon x View Post
Can't really blame them... they did say that income was way down when they went to a donation system.

They need to eat and support their families... and if the money is not there for carb...
No kidding. I don't understand how one could feel "ripped off". If anyone's to blame here, it's Blizzard. They're the ones who update the game breaking compatibility with certain addons, and they're the ones who've changed the terms on them.

What do you want the developers to do? Sit full time and work for free? How selfish.

Besides, they're still working on the addon...

07-18-09, 11:36 AM   #16
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I feel "ripped off" because as a PAYING customer I am getting nothing back in return. I was paying back when they where a subscription based addon and I have donated as well.

It has been quite a while since the last time they even came in and helped their users by answering the questions they post. It has been the COMMUNITY stepping up to the plate to answer those questions.

I understand that these people relied on Carbonite to help make them money to pay their bills and that the recent changes by Blizz has cause their revenue to diminish but the fact still remains they should still actively support their product. If the revenue is so low or their new projects take up all their time that they can not afford some daily time to answer question and help support their product then maybe it is time to either discontinue it and move on with their lives or release the source to someone who WILL continue to support it.

Communication is a key element in getting people to support your product. If they want more donations then update more often. If they want more money then continue forum support. The way it looks to me right now is the project is dead. 30+ days with not much more than a peep from the team (mind you they do log in though) is pretty bad. I for one would not give my hard earned money to a project that appears to be dead.

Last edited by Sepioth : 07-18-09 at 11:39 AM.

07-18-09, 07:52 PM   #17
Kingyoshi9
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I feel "ripped off" because as a PAYING customer I am getting nothing back in return. I was paying back when they where a subscription based addon and I have donated as well.

It has been quite a while since the last time they even came in and helped their users by answering the questions they post. It has been the COMMUNITY stepping up to the plate to answer those questions.

I understand that these people relied on Carbonite to help make them money to pay their bills and that the recent changes by Blizz has cause their revenue to diminish but the fact still remains they should still actively support their product. If the revenue is so low or their new projects take up all their time that they can not afford some daily time to answer question and help support their product then maybe it is time to either discontinue it and move on with their lives or release the source to someone who WILL continue to support it.

Communication is a key element in getting people to support your product. If they want more donations then update more often. If they want more money then continue forum support. The way it looks to me right now is the project is dead. 30+ days with not much more than a peep from the team (mind you they do log in though) is pretty bad. I for one would not give my hard earned money to a project that appears to be dead.
\

You make a very good point. If you do not put constant hard work into something, you will NOT see results. (Regardless of personal circumstances.)

It's as simple as "You get out of it what you put into it"
More work = More Donations
Less work = Less Donations

But I believe that Carbonite's authors already understand this...

Last edited by Kingyoshi9 : 07-18-09 at 08:45 PM.

07-18-09, 10:00 PM   #18
avid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Except that now that it's free, even if they did dedicate a lot of work and time, the donations coming in return would still be drastically lower than what they expected.

Now, with Blizzard's change in terms, along with the fact that they're implementing their own quest helping utility into the game... you really got to wonder how being so dedicated while working for free is going to truly pay off. I mean, with 3.2, I really don't see people jumping to use Carbonite anymore. Sure, Carbonite still offers many nice features, but the main reason people use mods like this and QuestHelper is simply for that basic function.

They've basically been cut at the knees. Again, if you want someone to blame, blame Blizzard. These guys have delivered us a great product though that certainly beat anything else you could have ever found. If you want to crucify them because you sent them $20 or something, fine.

Personally, I've spent what I've felt to be well worth my money. I paid for a product that I got months of use out of. That certainly beats those tacos I bought the other night... Considering they still have plans to update this, I don't see what the big deal is. They've already said development will slow down with the recent changes, and we can see that. Support is simply an expected slow down too. I mean, we can't expect everyone to be a Ghostcrawler, someone who works all day, posts all night, and sleeps somewhere along the drive home (if he even goes home).

07-20-09, 12:47 PM   #19
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by avid View Post
What do you want the developers to do? Sit full time and work for free? How selfish.
Unless you've donated to EVERY addon project that you use, or even author a project yourself, you have no right to call people who have paid "selfish".

Guess how many donations I've received total for my projects? NONE
Guess how often I support them? EVERY TIME I GET A BUG REPORT OR THINK OF SOMETHING USEFUL TO ADD

Why?

1) It's good practice for school for me.
2) For some strange reason I enjoy staring at code for hours on end.
3) As long as I keep things functional, maybe some day someone will throw a few bucks my way in appreciation of my time and work.

CFM, my latest project, took 4 months to write and literally every bit of my limited free time I have. Most bugs that have come up I've squashed the same day.

And again, what am I getting out of this? NOTHING AS OF THIS POST, JUST LIKE MOST OTHER AUTHORS.

Selfish? Yeah, whatever. As soon as Carb's devs mentioned that attention and updates would be based on how much they made, I donated. I've even stopped recommending this to other in-game and on the rare occurances I do, I make sure to mention that dev has come to a standstill and may be abandoned here soon.

Yeah, I feel my money was wasted. I feel like I've just paid for a raffle ticket that was never placed in the bowl.

Last edited by Sythalin : 07-20-09 at 12:49 PM.

07-20-09, 02:26 PM   #20
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Selfish? Yeah, whatever. As soon as Carb's devs mentioned that attention and updates would be based on how much they made, I donated. I've even stopped recommending this to other in-game and on the rare occurances I do, I make sure to mention that dev has come to a standstill and may be abandoned here soon.
Development was not and will not be stopped for at least 9 more months. I have made a part time commitment to our company for that time period. Regardless of what other projects I am working on, development on Carbonite will continue.

As per that commitment, I have spent the last 3 days doing this:
Added winshow console command to show, hide or toggle windows.

Fixed map zone selection staying disabled when Esc key used to close a menu.
Fixed collapsed quest headers in Blizzard log being expanded.
Fixed Watch List quest item keybinding being set and frames being swapped on each update.

Changes for patch 3.2:

Added support for Hrothgar's Landing zone.
Added support for Isle of Conquest zone.

Fixed error from rename of GetDifficultyColor.
Fixed error from missing function UnitIsPlusMob.
Fixed Blizzard quest log detail frame sometimes showing.
Fixed Info window BG cancel time always showing 0.
Also I have researched the new Blizzard quest POI system and written some experimental code. Researched instance maps and have Violet Hold working on the Carb map using the Blizzard art and it shows your location in the instance. It needs a few more UI changes and then adding the data for each Northrend map, which I would like to get done for the next release.

Decreased development does not mean no development. On the day we say Carbonite is dead or Blizzard says WoW is dead, you will know it. Until then, it is just speculation.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Supporters?