07-27-05, 01:56 PM   #1
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[AddOn idea/Request] Visual loc

I have a friend who gets lost anywhere. Sometimes she will get lost and stay lost for, I believe her record is 3 hours. I usually end up finding them and showing them where something or someplace is.

So here is my idea. To help take some of the pressure off me.

Some sort of Visual indicator that works with the /loc function to show the way to that loc.
I'm not sure what is and is not a violation of the Blizzard GUI code of ethics so I'm not sure how to appraoch this.
Perhaps it could be something within the minimap that's easy to see and show the way.
Or maybe even a small window that can be minimized when not in use to show the direction to go.

I'm not even sure if it's possible but I thought I'd through the idea out there. See if anyone would be interested in tackling something to help a terminally lost person.

Thanks for reading!

07-27-05, 03:25 PM   #2
mondoz
An Aku'mai Servant
If it's somewhere on the worldmap, I usually group with the person so I can see where they are on the map, and tell them something like "go a little north, a bit more east, opps - too far... Go back a little... You should see it now."

Beyond that, what are you envisioning?
07-27-05, 03:38 PM   #3
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Well, I've explained it in the best I could. I suppose I could make mock ups to show varies ideas. Beyond that I'm not sure how to explain it any better.

I'm not always on to help my friend find soemthing, so I'm looking for something to help them find their own way when I'm not there.
07-27-05, 04:00 PM   #4
Gello
A Molten Giant
With MapNotes you can send map notes to other people. It will place a mark on their map. You could set 'waypoints' if your goal was to show a trail how to get from A to B.

In theory you could modify MapNotes (with a lot of xml elements for every line piece) to connect mapnotes.

I don't think the minimap graphics are stored in interface.mpq, so you wouldn't be able to send someone else a picture of an area as they'd see it on the minimap.
07-27-05, 05:53 PM   #5
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Very interesting idea.

My only problem is I'm trying to figure out someway for them to become self sufficient (ie. not depend on me for all their info).
Also, I'm not always on to monitoring where they are going.

I don't know, maybe I haven't explained the whole concept clear enough. I'm going to contemplate this a little more and maybe re-post a more clearly detailed idea. I may even make pictures.

07-27-05, 09:31 PM   #6
Remelio

There are UI mods that unlock the world map and show all the areas, if that would help combined with the map notes idea?
07-28-05, 06:31 AM   #7
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I've considered the Map notes idea. I personally already have MozzFullWorldMap.

The problem is, as I've said, it relies on me forwarding Map notes to the person and I was looking for something to make THEM more independant of me having to look everything up for them. The last thing I really want to do is look up the quests for them, forward map notes to them, etc.... plus doing this for myself.

I really just want something that will help them, in a MORE visual way, to find where they need to go.

I'm gonna Photoshop soemthing later today to try and express this a little better hopefully.

08-05-05, 12:47 PM   #8
Keovar
A Fallenroot Satyr

Idea... "FindIt"

Ok, how about they click a minimap icon and a little window pops out in which they type a coordinate like 35,46 and click "FindIt". Then a circle is drawn on the minimap and a mapnote is made, just like in Gatherer. The spot on the minimap would stick to the edge of the frame just like Gatherer icons do when the spot isn't within your minimap circle, so it would be a kind of compass where your friend just points the character's arrow at the dot and heads that way.

I twould basically be the same as finding a party member, guard directions, or your corpse on the minimap, but I used Gatherer as an example because the fact it is possible means that you could use the same function to create your own directional tools.
08-05-05, 02:11 PM   #9
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Windowed mode works so well that a map+direction web site would be just as good as putting directions on the in-game world map. Maybe we could get Google to put Azeroth in their database... maps.google.com "darkshire to alliance auction house"

Has anybody modified the old auto-travel to upload directions to a web site? It might not be too hard if Bliz would give permission to use their world maps. (I'm not sure how thott gets away with it. Does Bliz just look the other way or does thott have permission?)
08-05-05, 02:22 PM   #10
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Keovar
Idea... "FindIt"

Ok, how about they click a minimap icon and a little window pops out in which they type a coordinate like 35,46 and click "FindIt". Then a circle is drawn on the minimap and a mapnote is made, just like in Gatherer. The spot on the minimap would stick to the edge of the frame just like Gatherer icons do when the spot isn't within your minimap circle, so it would be a kind of compass where your friend just points the character's arrow at the dot and heads that way.

I twould basically be the same as finding a party member, guard directions, or your corpse on the minimap, but I used Gatherer as an example because the fact it is possible means that you could use the same function to create your own directional tools.

OMG! Exactly! Thank you for explaining it a million times better than I did. That is almost exactly what I was trying to horribly describe.

Littlejohn, lol. Don't I wish we could get google maps to put in Azeroth. That would be great, not to mention extremely hilarious.

08-05-05, 02:22 PM   #11
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Keovar
The spot on the minimap would stick to the edge of the frame just like Gatherer icons do when the spot isn't within your minimap circle, so it would be a kind of compass
Speaking as one of the people who are chronically lost (my son frequently has to help me out) the compass thing often hurts more than it helps. The problem is that dead-ends and "turn here stupid!" aren't marked on the mini-map.

What I'd really like is not a mini-map guide, but a line on the ground that I can follow. Anybody read "Ender's Game"? In the academy there were different colored lines that would light up in the hallway to guide you. That's what chronically lost people need. (I have a love-hate relationship with the world geometry. It's intentionally screwed up with mountains and walls to make the world feel bigger than it really is. I love the big feel, but I hate the fact I can be so close and still lost.)
08-09-05, 02:09 PM   #12
Keovar
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Littlejohn
Speaking as one of the people who are chronically lost (my son frequently has to help me out) the compass thing often hurts more than it helps. The problem is that dead-ends and "turn here stupid!" aren't marked on the mini-map.

What I'd really like is not a mini-map guide, but a line on the ground that I can follow. Anybody read "Ender's Game"? In the academy there were different colored lines that would light up in the hallway to guide you. That's what chronically lost people need. (I have a love-hate relationship with the world geometry. It's intentionally screwed up with mountains and walls to make the world feel bigger than it really is. I love the big feel, but I hate the fact I can be so close and still lost.)
I don't see how any mod could trace an actual walkable path to a destination... if that were possible, the old AutoTravel probably would have used that instead of having you record the path yourself.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » [AddOn idea/Request] Visual loc