07-22-09, 12:59 PM   #1
Belszy
An Aku'mai Servant
Question on Map/Quest Add-Ons

So sorting asking around what map/quest add on do you use for leveling and why? I am trying to decide which add ons to play around with and which to dump as i am starting to get a little add on heavy. I love cartographer and i use to use questhelper with my wife but that was a major resource hog. I played around with carbonite and had it working with NUI but was to much on my interface and the constant flipping on the info panel was driving me nuts. I have seen a quest guru out there and a couple of others but was curious from the perspective of you serious and no so serious hard core NUI'ers which do you prefer and why?

Also has anyone figured out a auctioneer that isnt such a resource hog?

V/r
Belszy

07-22-09, 01:22 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I use Carbonite, but you've already tried that

I was using Auctioneer, but it made my screen stutter and it kept dropping my FPS to 1, so it had to go (due to bad programming, not because of my comp.. (2x2GB) G-Skill DDR2 1066 MHz @ 5-5-5-15, Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, and Saphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 4870). I am now using AuctionMaster and haven't looked back since. Far far better on resources, and it's not listed on the official tech support forums for being a trouble addon (Auctioneer is).

07-22-09, 02:28 PM   #3
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

Think I might have to dump Auctioneer for AuctionMaster. Looks nice and will hopefully ease up a bit on my machine.

07-22-09, 02:30 PM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

As far as the auction addon, my solution is to just have auctioneer suite enabled on my bank toon. With him it doesn't matter that its a resource hog because auction and bank stuff is all he does.

Now, as far as questing... I still find carbonite to be invaluable. I tried QH for a short time and I do like it, but I can't STAND the default map so I was also using Alphamap. While QH has made great strides toward not being anywhere near of a resource hog as it was, when combined with alphamap it ended up using more. Therefore I swiftly returned to Carbonite. I know it has a lot more than any one player usually will need, but you can turn a lot of stuff off if you don't use it. There's nothing out there (besides QH) that's even comparable to Carbonite.

Going back and re-reading what I just typed I realized that nothing I said will probably help you, but I just can't shut up.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-22-09, 02:33 PM   #5
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

And yeah, as far as quest tracking goes, I use Carbonite and will continue to do so as long as they keep it up to date. Should they ever finally drop it I will be lost, as I am so addicted to the way Carbonite works that anything else will just pale in comparison.

07-22-09, 02:41 PM   #6
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Carbonite + LightHeaded + Auctionmaster

Just a few of my must haves....
not for pleasure
but for survival

07-22-09, 02:41 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post

Going back and re-reading what I just typed I realized that nothing I said will probably help you, but I just can't shut up.
That's perfectly alright. We love you anyhow!

07-22-09, 02:44 PM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
That's perfectly alright. We love you anyhow!
Thank you for your support.

*COUGH*

07-22-09, 03:46 PM   #9
Belszy
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks

After reading and re reading opinions and thoughts yeah i am goign to try auctionator out and drop auctioneer.

I am going to try carbonite on mine and my wifes machines tonight and see how they link up and work and try the different settings.

What are your thoughts on crafting add ons? i use doublewide obviously and ackis and the basics.. tried skillet, really liked it but its broke now

Sorry for rambling on and on, i am not on a ship anymore so i get to enjoy my time playing wow more with my wife and getting into a lot of neat things.

Also i noticed on a couple players NUI interfaces w hen they post screenshots they have removed their top bar of NUI ( the top portion ) and have it enabled at the top of their map area.. above the normal button bars. I want to say haavok has it? i know one in particular its tribal designs with 2 chains supporting a third bar.. i cant find that skin or layout anywhere.. any ideas?

V/r
Belszy

07-22-09, 03:49 PM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

This is where you can find all the additional skins for nUI. Simply install and enable them like any other addon.

07-22-09, 05:13 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I use auctionator myself but haven't checked resource wise. I also use QuestGuru due to the quest history ability as I know somewhere down the line I will ask the question 'Which quests am I missing ?' Having the list of quests you have done makes that answer come more easier as you can check off those to see whats left.

However, my brother has been using a trio of addons for his new toon.

TourGuide, LightHeaded, TomTom

And seeing as he has got to level 70 almost in 3 weeks of part time gameplay I think its a good option to try out myself when I play my little lowbies occasionally.

07-22-09, 11:56 PM   #12
Seer
A Molten Giant
I'm using AuctionLite, found that it's a great replacement for Auctioneer

Cartographer + Cartographer QuestObjectives + Cartographer QuestInfo are all I need for questing/leveling tho I hardly use it.

08-18-09, 06:36 PM   #13
cokedrivers
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Belszy View Post
So sorting asking around what map/quest add on do you use for leveling and why? I am trying to decide which add ons to play around with and which to dump as i am starting to get a little add on heavy. I love cartographer and i use to use questhelper with my wife but that was a major resource hog. I played around with carbonite and had it working with NUI but was to much on my interface and the constant flipping on the info panel was driving me nuts. I have seen a quest guru out there and a couple of others but was curious from the perspective of you serious and no so serious hard core NUI'ers which do you prefer and why?

Also has anyone figured out a auctioneer that isnt such a resource hog?

V/r
Belszy
This is just my 2 cents,

Auction House addon i use is called Auctionlite, pretty much Auctioneer without the over head.

Questing/Levling addon i use (altho causes someone with a week video card to get low FPS) is Questhelper. When you get the quest it shows you a arrow in whihc way to complete said quest and also puts ant trails on your big map to guide you in the right way.

Fro me i will not level another toon or Quest without Questhelper.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Question on Map/Quest Add-Ons