06-16-09, 08:50 AM   #1
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
Possible Class Specific changes??

I play many different classes, but my main is always going to be either a resto druid or resto Shaman. and I know for the shaman class, that there is one or 2 changes I'd like to see...just a suggestion.

First we are very dependant on totems...so I'd like to see a totem timer built in, something along the lines of Totem timers.
(http://www.wowinterface.com/download...temTimers.html)

I'd also like to see if it is at all possible to get the charecter and target and target of target to be more....pitbull like?? I'm a huge fan of thick health bars.
(http://www.wowinterface.com/download...itBull3.0.html)

also I see that it is on your to do list...I'd really love to see the grid style Unit frames.

when I think of more I'll post here. but right now those are my biggest concerns with this UI.

Cause I'm all about a minimalist UI and nUI is amazing for it. just now I have to put my totems up alot higher.

Maybe even to help out I'll post my current UI as it is...at a later date.

06-16-09, 09:13 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Totem timers are on the to-do list and moving up the food chain pretty fast now. I have rolled a shammy to test and develop with and just need to level him to a useful place before I start.

As for fat health bars... nUI's unit frames and HUD are both 100% configurable. Have a look at [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > UnitPanels > {panel mode} > nUI_UnitSkin_{panel mode}_{unit id}.lua ] and search for the ["Health"] and ["Power"] segments to see how they are configured. In due time there will be GUI tools for modifying the layouts, for now it requires hand editing the parameters for the display elements.

And, as you noted, GRID style unit frames are coming.

My primary point of focus at the moment is finishing the re-write of the nUI_UnitAura, nUI_UnitRaidSort and nUI_UnitSpec modules which are the three key elements I have not refactored for the new event engine to address the memory/garbage collector/FPS issues brought on in WoW patch 3.0 and 3.1

As soon as those are done, the next order of business is finishing the custom layout engine at which time it will be possible to offer optional downloadable class specific layouts for nUI as well as built in "role" layouts for DPS, tank and healer.

While I'm doing those two things I'll be working on levelling my shammy and once those items are complete, I'll get to work on totem timers and such.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

06-16-09, 09:41 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I'll be able to check the higher level shammy stuff for you too Scott .. mines getting to the big 80 now. 9 more levels to go

06-16-09, 10:51 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by class specific layouts. Could you please expand on that?

06-16-09, 11:12 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

In short -- a layout presentation that is tweaked to suit the unique needs of a particular class.

I have tried hard in nUI's default layout design to make it work for all classes, but some people like to get very specific in what elements are located where in the layout for their given class.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

06-16-09, 12:46 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh, I see. Never really gave it much thought to be honest. Everything seems to just work with the different classes I play. Thanks for explaining

06-16-09, 01:13 PM   #7
Wasgij
A Cliff Giant

The man is a god ...... A UI built and expanded on as ideals come up ... I bow to your greatness ... LOL Seriously great work i have loved Nui since a guild member told me and a class specific would be a cool thing ..

06-16-09, 01:15 PM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Long ago, if I remember correctly, Mazzle did this through the Mazzlefier. Of course, the Mazzlefier was designed to pick from installed addons in his huge compilation and that would defeat the purpose of nUI. But maybe you could do something like it to enable/disable certain class specific elements. Just random thoughts here after waking up and getting ready for work. Still groggy and hoping this makes some kind of sense.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

06-17-09, 08:03 PM   #9
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
also another thought that came up to me today, is that I don't know about the rest of the healers out there but I really like having my Raid frames in the very Middle bottom of the screen. this way it allows me to see what is happening to me in game as I'm also focusing on healing the raid.

06-17-09, 09:54 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Grullander View Post
also another thought that came up to me today, is that I don't know about the rest of the healers out there but I really like having my Raid frames in the very Middle bottom of the screen. this way it allows me to see what is happening to me in game as I'm also focusing on healing the raid.
Yeah I do the same thing. I tried the click casting thing but strangely doesn't seem the same as using healbot. So, when I need to use healbot for healing purposes I drag the window out of its frame and put it above the raid frames and then drag it out of the way until the next reloadui when it would put it back in the window.

06-17-09, 10:16 PM   #11
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
I also have to do a lot of farm content as elemental...so I also use a mod called oRA2, which is a nice little mod that allows me to see my tank targets and theirs targets. and it allows me to set my tank targets, so if I wanna set the top caster DPS as a target as well i can. and then this way I'm able to see who they are targeting...(for making sure I'm on the right target.) plus this way I don't get yelled at....and if I do I can say I was just targeting (officers target).

another mod I used a lot is Eaves drop...which would be a great one to go in where recount, and Omen go.
(http://www.wowinterface.com/download...EavesDrop.html)

I see that someone has done something along that lines already for it. but maybe you want to work in in Scott.
(http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Eavesdrop.html)

I know you are extremely busy..but I'm just showing you some things that are helpful for raids.

Because Ultimately that is what the majority of ppl will be doing with your UI...although I do some pvp too. and I wanna start getting into Arena, just gotta get good at it.

06-17-09, 10:17 PM   #12
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
I was thinking of moving the minimap to a different spot...not sure as of yet where would be the best spot.

06-18-09, 01:34 AM   #13
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

nUI will be a lot more configurable eventualy when the engine is all done and people can play with the config more. Personaly i have my minimap incorporated into carbonite as i prefer it that way so i have a nice big empty square where the minimap used to be and would much prefer to have my target located there with the focus where the target is now. Hoping that might be something i can arange in the future when everything else is done. I could prob do it now but i dont want to have to redo the files everytime there is an update lol.
not for pleasure
but for survival

06-18-09, 08:39 PM   #14
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
ok well with the new patch notes looks like the totem timers issue I was talking about is going to be taken care of with a 1 button all totems down setup. lol

06-19-09, 12:54 AM   #15
eaglepgc
A Cyclonian

Yeah, I saw that too... it will be nice. Spiel... take it off the "ta do list"!

http://www.wowhead.com/?blog=103031

06-22-09, 11:51 AM   #16
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
still would like to have a timer for the group of them, expecially since some totems are on different timers.

06-22-09, 11:59 AM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
still would like to have a timer for the group of them, expecially since some totems are on different timers.
I'll be testing this part out myself while testing my addons there and will post up screenshots for you all to see.

06-22-09, 12:03 PM   #18
Grullander
A Murloc Raider
that would be awesome Xrystal. Greatly appreciated!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Possible Class Specific changes??