08-08-09, 01:22 AM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Age & WoW

So my son and I were talking earlier tonight and the subject came up on how long I would play this game. He figures that I might get to old to play. I am only 39 and of course to a teenager, that is ancient. So the question is this. What age is the oldest person you are aware of that is still actively playing? Do you all plan to play as long as you can or is there a point where you are "Too old" to play MMO's?

08-08-09, 01:25 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Both of my parents play, and they are in their 60s. A guildmate was in her 70s. We've lost touch over the years/games, but I'm willing to bet she still plays.

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-08-09 at 01:32 AM.
08-08-09, 01:31 AM   #3
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've personally grouped with people ranging in ages from 9 to 92. It's one of the appealing factors of WoW is that it appeals to so many ages. I'm in my early thirties and expect to continue gaming well into old age.

08-08-09, 01:38 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The two oldest guys in our guild are in their 50s. The youngest has reached 21 now I believe. Of course that doesn't count the kids that hop on briefly while mummy or daddy are playing
08-08-09, 02:39 AM   #5
Verissi
Premium Member

I'm 38, but definitely not the oldest in my guild. We have several in their 40s and 50s and one very nice woman who is in her 60s (and raids in our "A squad") that we consider the "guild mom". I've met some in my travels that are even older and still going strong. Most of them play because they enjoy it themselves, but also use the game to keep in touch and share time with friends and family that they're geographically separated from.
08-08-09, 03:12 AM   #6
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm 46. But I think that Scott (Spiel2001) has me beat by a year or two in our guilds.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-08-09, 03:38 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

The majority of my ex-guild (I am now retired from WoW due to hardware issues, my ATI card is too old to support WoW under Linux) is in their late 20s to late 40s. The youngest member is 18ish. They are mostly working adults, many have kids of their own. As another poster has stated, WoW appeals to all age groups. I think that is a excellent testament to Blizzard in that they created a both a game and a world that appeals to such a wide age group. I have heard of entire families that play and I know of several small guilds that are just compose of members of a family. What you rather do as a family, go run some dungeon together or watch the garbage that passes for TV these days (American Idol anyone?)
08-08-09, 04:37 AM   #8
Trond
A Cliff Giant

39 but a couple years back i played with a swede who was 55
08-08-09, 04:51 AM   #9
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I am 57 this year and plan on playing for many more years. Blizzard has made a game that is easy to learn, you can go hard core or casual, it fits into a persons schedule. Whatever play style you have there is still a feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment.

OK, thats enough.

Bellator

Mary-Chapin Carpenter
08-08-09, 06:56 AM   #10
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

My old gm from many different mmos who brought me to WoW is in his 50s now.

...I'm still eleventeen though
08-08-09, 07:37 AM   #11
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I also forgot to add to my previous post that I am now a 1/3 of a century old.
08-08-09, 10:36 AM   #12
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Used to play with this guy that was 76 years old.

He played a rogue and did endgame raiding with my guild :P

Unsure if he still plays, since this was in vanilla.
08-08-09, 03:08 PM   #13
Raxnor
A Cliff Giant

You know is is a good topic , i am currently 29 years old and i been playing MMOS since Asheron's call and i always ask myself this question: am i gonna get really old playing games?, i mean my son now its 7 years olda and he is staring to play console games like ps3 and a wii , however he been asking me to get him a PC so he can play WOW lol i don't really wanna get him into this whole MMO thing but i feel selfish if i don't anyways going back to the topic , i don't think there is an age to stop playing MMOs i mean the way i see this is like a hobby for alot of us , some people choose other hobbys like golf,surfing,bowling and so on and we choose this play MMOs on our free time like a normal hobby , so i don't think i would never say "DAMN IM TO OLD FOR THIS"
08-08-09, 03:19 PM   #14
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

"DAMN IM TO OLD FOR THIS"

In other news, one of my friends irl has an aunt that plays. She is upper 60's in age, has about 6 level 80 toons, and uses them to farm for his and his cousin's guild. She has been reported as a gold farmer before, with her farming tactics being so non-stop and productive. Also, she is extremely good at the thrift shop (auction house), finding really great deals and turning a decent profit. Gogo mid-America, over 60, women on a mission for their kids, farmers ... now that is family time right there folks.
08-08-09, 03:42 PM   #15
Dhar
A Defias Bandit
Why let someone else decide that you're too old to play. It's your money do what you want with it.
08-08-09, 04:54 PM   #16
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
i'll say i'm 39 but who knows if that's true?
08-09-09, 06:04 AM   #17
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

When it comes to video games of any kind I think actual age is irrelevant. As long as you feel young enough to play then I say go for it. How I got my one kid to read was thru video games. She saw me and my sister playing one of the early final fantasy games on a snes and wanted to play. She was being difficult with school and learning to read so we told her she could only play if she could read everything herself and made her read it out loud to us. Gave us some family time together and got her to read. We've been playing video games together ever since including WoW.
Just for the record..I'm 40ish and my kid is an adult now.
08-13-09, 10:04 AM   #18
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

WeeBaby, I love your avatar. It's rockin' awesome.

One only becomes too old for anything when they've decided they've outgrown it. I know a couple of retirees at my church who have a hobby of building lego sculptures for the kids in their neighborhood.

I don't think adulthood means one quits having toys. I just think the toys get better as does the practice of the hobby. Good for you for having a hobby that you can enjoy with your baby. That's more special than he realizes right now, and as he gets older, it'll mean more.

I love seeing WoW keep families close. /warm-fuzzy

08-13-09, 10:32 AM   #19
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Just read this thread and thought of this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8168892.stm , as a shining example.
08-18-09, 03:32 PM   #20
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
I am twenty years old and I play. My eleven year old brother plays sometimes as well, under my account when I am babysitting him.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Age & WoW