07-24-12, 06:10 PM   #1
bigsleepy121
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?

Will carbonite be updated for mop i would love to donate if i know they were working on a mop version. kinda seems like a waste of money to donate 50 bucks and they dont update it. thanks

Edit: 7/25/12: really no answers. no one that develops this addon can answer me. i love this addon i want to support it there is nothing like it. i want to give you money just please let me know if you will support MOP i have friends who would like to donate as well to help get it underway if anyone has any info please post ty

Last edited by bigsleepy121 : 07-25-12 at 10:07 PM.

07-25-12, 10:31 PM   #2
coorsd
A Murloc Raider
I am also wondering. So if someone could please confirm whether or not this will be continued, it would be helpful to know. if not, i will start making other plans.

Thanks!

07-26-12, 11:16 PM   #3
Sprucelee
A Defias Bandit
Add me to the heap, MoP = donation.

08-01-12, 06:46 PM   #4
WeaveDiva
An Aku'mai Servant

Question

hello?...any devs out there...we really do like carbonite and would like to support it through MOP, but we need to hear from you!

as a MOP beta tester, i can already tell you, the current version of carbonite doesn't run well at all with MOP as of late July, and i always have to disable it if i want to run the beta. it was bad enough starting beta without any add-ons, but now that we can have them from those who developing/updating them, it really hurts not having this one!

can you guys at least let us know what's going on?

08-07-12, 09:53 AM   #5
woofpup
A Murloc Raider
Donate for MoP

I also will donate again if we can just get word on if there will be an update.

08-07-12, 12:43 PM   #6
carolefarm
A Kobold Labourer
Do they only respond to the folks that are currently donating?

09-04-12, 04:53 PM   #7
willownikki
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
Add me to the heap, MoP = donation.
same here. i miss carbonite

09-04-12, 07:24 PM   #8
Bear069.geo
A Kobold Labourer
Rythal, I forgot how difficult WoW is without carbonit, I am glad to see your version to help fill the void of a lack of official updates to it. Keep up the good work on it. 1 question: Is there any official word about a new official update yet?

09-04-12, 09:49 PM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
New version is up, check the other post.

09-04-12, 09:49 PM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Bear069.geo View Post
Rythal, I forgot how difficult WoW is without carbonit, I am glad to see your version to help fill the void of a lack of official updates to it. Keep up the good work on it. 1 question: Is there any official word about a new official update yet?
Nope, i'm just as in the dark as you guys... have not heard a word.

08-24-12, 05:07 AM   #11
Jacobite
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite Kickstarter Project?

Just a sugestion but the devs need to create a Kickstarter project and set a goal that we can help them reach in order for the project to continue. Once the project went to a donation only model, the devs had to focus on things that brought money home. That's understandable, and I can see why the project sort of derailed.

A large number of Carbonite fan's out there would be more than willing to drop even a few hundred dollars if there was a promise of an update. Ive donated before, and apreciate the work that goes into programing the addon since I use to program myself. Please create a kickstarter project and ask for what you need to be compensated for your work and let the comunity put their money where their mouth is.

Last edited by Jacobite : 08-24-12 at 05:10 AM. Reason: (sp error)

09-02-12, 10:09 AM   #12
WhaleTune
A Murloc Raider

Smile

Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just a sugestion but the devs need to create a Kickstarter project and set a goal that we can help them reach in order for the project to continue. Once the project went to a donation only model, the devs had to focus on things that brought money home. That's understandable, and I can see why the project sort of derailed.

A large number of Carbonite fan's out there would be more than willing to drop even a few hundred dollars if there was a promise of an update. Ive donated before, and appreciate the work that goes into programing the addon since I use to program myself. Please create a kickstarter project and ask for what you need to be compensated for your work and let the community put their money where their mouth is.
Absolutely; Kickstarter is the ticket here. Myself (and my company) have already sponsored over 14 projects (mostly tech). It is an outstanding way to sponsor something the people themselves believe in, and don't have to wait for BIG business to accomplish or "decide" they even want to do it. More so, it is also a great way that smaller groups of fans who like something can bring it to reality.

Both good tech and gaming items have been getting ridiculous donations; like over 1000% funded.

I would actually like to see a complete rewrite of the code to update Carbonite, but only from the original developers (as they deserve to make the cash). So say they make a "fix" for now, but through this Kickstarter project make a complete rewrite of the code bringing it up to date with the latest API's.

Now, you have to realize how Kickstarter works, the developers can state the duration of the funding campaign (2 weeks to 3 months I believe). Once it gets funded...there is something like a five week delay until Amazon actually sends them the monies. So what I would recommend to the developers is:

1. Do a short term Kickstarter campaign during which we all donate...to see if we really mean it.
2. Then, if successful, do a quick fix for all of us loyal Carbonite fans with the promise for the rewrite.
3. Make sure your sponsors (us) gets the beta earlier than anyone else as a "prize".

Carbonite developers...here is the way to actually be paid (up front) what you are worth, and to see if the fans are actually blowing smoke about donating or willing to put their money where their mouths are.

NOTE - Anybody who has contact with the developers, please get this information to them! Thanks!

09-02-12, 01:22 PM   #13
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by WhaleTune View Post
Carbonite developers...here is the way to actually be paid (up front) what you are worth, and to see if the fans are actually blowing smoke about donating or willing to put their money where their mouths are.
And then Blizzard blocks it for "a commercial addon". This would be considered a scheme to avoid the "no commercial addon" rules, and Bliz isn't really that stupid that they would allow it.

09-02-12, 04:27 PM   #14
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by anteract View Post
And then Blizzard blocks it for "a commercial addon". This would be considered a scheme to avoid the "no commercial addon" rules, and Bliz isn't really that stupid that they would allow it.
I believe they wouldn't allow it, if and only if, the product is not released to the public. You could code these kickstarter sponsers as eager "Beta Testers" and that should work - but ultimately the final product with all the benefits needs to be available to all.

The kickstarter idea isn't a bad one - but it would stall the correction of Carbonite (if it doesn't fund quickly) to a few weeks out if they really wanted just money to fix Carbonite. It also may make them seem a bit in the addon only for money, which Blizzard could have a slight issue with (but I don't think they would ban the addon).

09-02-12, 05:23 PM   #15
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
5.004.005 is now up!

Fixed:
- Minimap transparencies have returned
- Group quest sharing should be fixed
- New options under MiniMap for autodocking / full size in known bugged areas
- All start zones are back where they should be on the map
- Removed Carbonite/Blizzard toggle since not needed anymore
- Repaired Completed Quest Fetching Again (still not sure how it reverted)
- Patch should work now in German, French, Spanish .. other languages will need people who can translate.

Known Bugs:
- Abandoning a quest sometimes doesn't clear it from your map, if this happens just click on autotrack button.

-------
What does bugged areas mean?

Some areas do not like the minimap being transparent at all, in the new client and if it is will just turn black. Dalaran, Cleft of Shadows, and Caverns of time are the one's I've found so far.

If you find an area that does this, I would ask you run /script Print(GetSubZoneText()) and post where it is so it can be added, or just post best you can remember (need to know the subzone not the zone IE Caverns of Time and not Tanaris).

Last edited by Rythal : 09-02-12 at 05:25 PM.

08-29-12, 03:27 PM   #16
backlash666
A Murloc Raider
Rythal,

Thanks for taking this project on, there arnt many that would.

With that said I have noticed a few bugs. And I fully expect that they may be of my own ignorance

1. have noticed a green square issue around SW when it switches through the different maps while zooming.

2. Mining nodes when tracking minerals is active is not showing in the minimap correctly.

3. Minimap has no default zoom level (logged in a few times and its maxed in zoom) also doent alter when moving again.

4. Minimap maps can be strangly highlighted when mouse is moved away.

Have only played with it for 5 mins but these are what Ive got at the mo.

Once again Thanks for your efforts.

08-30-12, 01:51 AM   #17
damager55
A Defias Bandit
i will quit wow if Carbonite ant fixed am done i will close my account

08-30-12, 02:27 AM   #18
SchatjeCindy
A Murloc Raider
any1 knows where to find the 5.04.03 update? link pls! thnx
many thnx go out to Rythal for his great job

08-30-12, 03:06 AM   #19
jovenyoung
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The link is back a few pages in the thread but I'll post it again...

http://virtxchange.com/carbonite/

The zip file contains the Carbonite Lua and Toc files. You have to have the full Carbonite addon in your addons folder then just replace those 2 files in the Carbonite folder with the new ones.

08-30-12, 03:18 AM   #20
Bhootam
A Murloc Raider
Exclamation Teammate Icons and Health Status missing?

Dear all,

One unique aspect of Carbonite was the fact that it allowed me to not only see where my team/party/raid mates were but if they were being attacked, if they were targeting anything hostile and even how much health they had left. This was invaluable for me because I would find out before people called it out what was going on in any corner of the battleground map.

With Rythal's addon modifications Carbonite seems to be working again -- but I just can't find that functionality in the minimap anymore. I don't see any of the circular, blue teammate icons, let alone any health information on them.

Can anybody help?

Rythal, just wanted to let you know that I'm really grateful for the work you've done on this. Thank you so much.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?