12-26-20, 05:28 PM   #1
rbpaiett
A Murloc Raider
Trigger PlaySound upon keyword event

I'm looking to create a macro/script/addon where if I receive a system message that any of my auction items expired or sold, I would hear a sound cue.

So basically it would search anything from CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM by keywords and triggers a PlaySound, example:

The word 'sold' appears, it activates PlaySound(5274) and ...
The word 'expired' appears, it activates PlaySound(5275).

I used to have this but lost it when I forgot to make a backup. Any advice or instruction would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Note: I'm a complete newbie with this so I don't know how to even set this up.
12-26-20, 07:23 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Lua Code:
  1. local f = CreateFrame("Frame")     --create a frame to listen for the event
  2. f:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM")     --register for the event you want to listen for
  3. f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, msg)     --tell WoW what to do when the event fires
  4.           if strfind(msg, "sold") then     --we only registered for one event, so we don't even have to check to see which one it was
  5.                PlaySound(5274)
  6.           elseif strfind(msg, "expired") then
  7.                PlaySound(5275)
  8.           end
  9.      end)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-26-20, 07:34 PM   #3
rbpaiett
A Murloc Raider
<Bows before Seerah>

UPDATE:

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of adding 'self' to it? You have an event that contains a message, it's not like one is listening for other players.

Last edited by rbpaiett : 12-26-20 at 09:57 PM.
12-26-20, 10:07 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What you call variables is irrelevant. The first return from an event firing is the frame that was listening to it. The second return is the specific event that was fired in case your frame was listening for more than one. Beyond that, anything else depends on which event it was and what comes with it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-27-20, 01:38 AM   #5
rbpaiett
A Murloc Raider
Ok, very good.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Trigger PlaySound upon keyword event