07-18-10, 08:00 PM   #1
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

Lightbulb Spell Timers and Cooldowns

Hello,

I have a request concerning spell cast icons in the HUD features.

During game play on my shadow priest, I can hardly see the spell duration timers on my HUD; however, the spell cooldown timers are a bit easier for me to see.

For example: After casting S/W: Pain, Dev. Plague, and Vampiric Touch, I can barely see the spell duration timers in my HUD, while I can see the spell casting cooldown timer a bit better. The reason being is that the spell cast cooldown timer icons are a bit bigger and more easily recognized.

At this time I basically have to tunnel vision on the HUD's spell duration timers to keep track, even though I know the rotation and how many mind flays I can cast before re-applying the DOTs.

I believe making the spell duration icons a bit lager and perhaps larger than the spell cast cooldown timers would help me a great deal.

Is there a way that I can enlarge the spell duration icons?

I have had some programming classes, so I can change any code that you may suggest. Classes included were dhtml, .asp, c++, so i should be capable of finding, editing, and saving the required code modifications.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks,

Vince

07-19-10, 01:43 AM   #2
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

I see no replys yet...

Should this be placed in the developers forum?

07-19-10, 04:21 AM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Most forums your questions go days without answer... patience grasshopper ~smile~

You can edit the file [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {hud mode} > nUI_HUDLayout_{hud mode}.lua ] where {hud mode} is one of PlayerTarget, HealthPower, etc, depending on which HUD style you use. Locate the cooldown_bar section near the top of the file. You can change the value of btn_size to increase the size of the cooldown bar.

Be aware that when you increase the size of those buttons, you may well start causing overlap problems with other screen elements.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

07-19-10, 08:16 AM   #4
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

Okay I changed that setting, tested the setting, and then returned it to default.

Perhaps I should rephrase this.

I would like to increase the size of the DOT icons/buttons, or perhaps I should just live with what I have...

It is a great upgrade for a user interface...

07-19-10, 08:51 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
What Scott explained should make the change you are asking about. Perhaps we are misunderstanding which items you want to resize.

Are you talking about your action buttons ?

Are you talking about your cooldown icons between your action buttons and the hud ?

The last is what Scott explained and the former can be similarly changed by looking for the dashboard ( if I remember rightly ) file in the layouts/default folder.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

07-19-10, 11:37 AM   #6
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

Okay I'll try to explain a little better.

In the HUD you will have 2 rows of icons.

The top row being dots and spells that are applied to the target and active. These icons are very small at 1920x1080 resolution... Thus, I would like to make them a bit larger.

The second row being the spell cooldown icons.

I want to enlarge the first row... It doesn't need to be by much though. Perhaps the same size as the spell cooldown icons would suffice.

Is that a better explanation?

07-19-10, 11:43 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
ah gotcha. The first row with the debuff icons I can't see anything obvious to allow that resizing so maybe Scott will be able to tell you. The second row should be resolved by changing what Scott suggested. Just make sure you choose the right hud mode file.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

07-21-10, 04:35 AM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The spells you have cast on the target are in the [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {hud mode} > nUI_HUDSkin_{hud mode}_Target.lua ] file. At the bottom of the file is the ["Aura"] = section. The second element [2] = contains the auras you have cast on the target. Use the size option to increase the size of the icons.

07-22-10, 03:07 PM   #9
Kithhurrn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm having a similar problem as the OP. As a tank I need to be able to see the debuffs on myself and on the bosses target of target (usually the other tank) in order to either call for a taunt or taunt from my co-tank. Prime example is the mortal strike debuff from Precious in ICC (and yes, DBM does tell me this but sometimes it is slow or isn't working as intended ;>). At 1280x1024 resolution and having the HUD scaled down (can't remember how much I've scaled it by but think it's about 70%ish) I can barely tell what the debuff is let alone how many stacks are up. This is the button icons along the right side of the HUD (they run vertically), not the ones at the bottom of the HUD. I've been unable to find a way to enlarge the debuff buttons without scaling the HUD itself. I've finally resorted to using IceHUD since it allows me to scale both buffs and debuffs independently but it seems a bit counter productive to have to use another addon, probably just me wanting to run with as few mods as possible ;p. And IceHUD places it's debuffs below the HUD, I much prefer nui's placement. It does require that I scale nui's HUD as small as possible and make it completely transparent since I can't seem to turn the HUD off. Occasionally I'll get a 'ghost' of nui's HUD.

Perhaps in nui6 there will be a way for us to scale those debuffs independent of the HUD?

07-22-10, 05:05 PM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The debuffs on you are on the top left of the HUD... the debuffs you have on the target are at the bottom center of the HUD and run horizontally. I'm not sure what you're talking about on the bottom right that runs vertically. Can you clarify please?

07-23-10, 05:13 PM   #11
Kithhurrn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
K...had to use my druid for this screenie but pretty much have the same settings as on the pally tank. Scale is .5, Hgap 140, voffset 60, max auras 40 (using aura button mod), all transparencies set for .5. The icons I'm having trouble seeing because of their small size are along the outside edge of the HUD on the right side. They do start at the top of the HUD then 'grow' down. This is also the general area that my ToT debuffs show up in. Since my eyes are 50+ yrs old, those icons are rather hard for me to see to begin with and the number for stack sizes is even smaller ;p. If I scale the HUD larger those icons will also scale up but then the actual HUD gets in my way. For some reason it won't always allow me to 'click thru' to target and causes a few problems so I like to keep it scaled down and close to my toon on screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072310_132141.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	4646  

07-23-10, 06:52 PM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Well... when you shrink the HUD that much, I can't say I'm surprised the buffs are that small. ~smile~

PS: I'm 52 and wear bifocals. ~lol~

There's no easy fix for this short of editing the layout files. I presume you know that the icons on the top-right are supposed to be the auras on the current target that are detrimental to you (i.e buffs on a hostile target or debuffs on a friendly target). The debuffs that are on you should be appearing on the top left of the HUD. I don't see any, so I'm presuming in this shot you didn't have any debuffs on you.

I also don't see your HOT/DOT bar or the spell cooldown bar... both of which should be at the bottom of the HUD showing what auras you have cast on the target. Not sure why that's not present, either, unless you've been editing the skin files.

A full identification of all the HUD parts (and UI parts) is here... http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21108

That said, if you want to alter the size of the auras that are around the outside edge of the HUD, you would edit the corresponding skin file... [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {hud mode} > nUI_HUDSkin_{hud mode}_{unit}.lua ] where {hud mode} is one of PlayerTarget, HealthPower, etc. based on which HUD you use and {unit} is which unit ID you want (player, target, etc.).

Toward the bottom of the file you'll find an ["Aura"] section and in that you'll find one set of auras for "harm" which would be the auras that appear around the outside of the HUD. Change their size and save the file, then retest... keep in mind that changing the size will cause them to overlap other elements, so they'll have to be moved too (use the xOfs and yOfs elements of the anchors section to do that.

The "target" HUD skin will also have a "help" set of auras in the ["Aura"] section... that will be the HOTs/DOTs that you have on the current target.

07-24-10, 03:45 PM   #13
Kithhurrn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lol...ya progressive bifocals here. And I know the small scale is a good part of the issue, was just wondering if the icons could be scaled separately. Will try saving the current file then editing the files/settings you posted and see what happens. If I mess up too badly I can go back to the original files and pretend nothing happened. Haven't really wanted to go mucking about in there without knowing which settings to be changing since everything else about the UI works perfect for me and don't want to risk breaking anything ;p. Think that the elements missing in the screenie are because I was in a hurry when I turned nui's HUD back on and missed reenabling some of them but the druid didn't have any HoT/DoTs on him at the time, he was barely able to apply debuffs to my pally for test purposes, gotta love being an avoidance tank ;p.

Thanks for the feedback and appreciate all the work you put into nui/nui+.

07-27-10, 03:15 AM   #14
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

Okay, at this point I have edited the following files:

[ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {HealthPower} > nUI_HUDSkin_{HealthPower}_Target.lua ]

[ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {NoBars} > nUI_HUDSkin_{NoBars}_Target.lua ]

[ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > {PlayerTarget} > nUI_HUDSkin_{PlayerTarget}_Target.lua ]

The desired results have not been forthcoming. After editing the Aura size in each file, no changes were noted in the actual display. I edited and tested each of the above files individually.

Yes, I believe I followed the correct procedures. Open, edit, save and close the .lua file, and then start WoW to verify if changes were implemented. Once tested, and no change were observed, I changed the options back to default.

This is no big concern, I simply wanted to try and customize the HUD a little. Thus, I have tried and failed...

nUI is a great interface and I do love it!!! I do believe a small donation for your efforts is in order!

Thanks for the help!

07-27-10, 05:11 AM   #15
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Well... it looks like you're on the right track. Technically, you should only need to edit the skin for the HUD you use rather than editing all three and you don't actually need to exit WoW to make these kind of changes either... you can stay logged in. Just make the edits, save the changes (you don't have to exit the file either) and then use '/nui rl' to see your changes.

The code copied below is taken from the [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > PlayerTarget > nUI_HUDSkin_PlayerTarget_Target.lua ] file.

Note the line I highlighted (you'll need to scroll down to find it), that's the one you want to change in order to change the size of the HOT/DOT bar in the HUD. If you're changing that value and the size of the HOT/DOT bar in the HUD is not changing, then something is wrong.

Code:
        ["Aura"] =
        {
            [1] =    -- debuffs
            {
                anchor =
                {
                    anchor_pt   = "TOPLEFT",
                    relative_to = "$parent_Health",
                    relative_pt = "TOPRIGHT",
                    xOfs        = -40,
                    yOfs        = -100,
                },        
                options =
                {
                    enabled = true,
                    size    = 45,
                    strata  = nil,
                    level   = 1,

aura_type        = "harm",
                    origin           = "TOPLEFT",
                    player_auras     = false,
                    dispellable      = false,
                    horizontal       = false,
                    highlight_player = false,
                    aura_types       = true,
                    cooldown_anim    = false,
                    flash_expire     = true,
                    clickable        = true,
                    rows             = 3,
                    cols             = 4,
                    expire_time      = 10,
                    hGap             = 5,
                    vGap             = 20,

timer =
                    {
                        enabled     = true,
                        fontsize    = 10,
                        justifyH    = "CENTER",
                        justifyV    = "TOP",
                        anchor_pt   = "TOP",
                        relative_pt = "BOTTOM",
                        xOfs        = 0,
                        yOfs        = 1,
                    },

count =
                    {
                        enabled     = true,
                        justifyH    = "CENTER",
                        justifyV    = "MIDDLE",
                        anchor_pt   = "CENTER",
                        relative_pt = "CENTER",
                        xOfs        = 0,
                        yOfs        = 0.5,
                    },
                },        
            },
            [2] =    -- debuffs
            {
                anchor =
                {
                    anchor_pt   = "BOTTOM",
                    relative_to = nUI_HUDLAYOUT_PLAYERTARGET.."Bottom",
                    relative_pt = "TOP",
                    xOfs        = 0,
                    yOfs        = 80,
                },        
                options =
                {
                    enabled = true,
                    size    = 40,
                    strata  = nil,
                    level   = 1,

aura_type        = "help",
                    origin           = "TOPLEFT",
                    player_auras     = true,
                    dispellable      = false,
                    horizontal       = true,
                    dynamic_size     = true,
                    highlight_player = false,
                    aura_types       = false,
                    cooldown_anim    = false,
                    flash_expire     = true,
                    rows             = 1,
                    cols             = 10,
                    expire_time      = 10,
                    hGap             = 5,
                    vGap             = 20,

timer =
                    {
                        enabled     = true,
                        fontsize    = 12,
                        justifyH    = "CENTER",
                        justifyV    = "TOP",
                        anchor_pt   = "TOP",
                        relative_pt = "BOTTOM",
                        xOfs        = 0,
                        yOfs        = 1,
                    },

count =
                    {
                        enabled     = true,
                        justifyH    = "CENTER",
                        justifyV    = "MIDDLE",
                        anchor_pt   = "CENTER",
                        relative_pt = "CENTER",
                        xOfs        = 0,
                        yOfs        = 0.5,
                    },
                },        
            },
        },
    },
};
I should add, too, that if you want to change the size of the buttons in the cooldown bar, then you need to edit a different file. In that case, you would edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > HUDLayouts > PlayerTarget > nUI_HUDLayout_PlayerTarget.lua ] and edit the row I've highlighted below...

Code:
        cooldown_bar =
        {
            enabled = true;
            name    = nUI_HUDLAYOUT_PLAYERTARGET.."_CooldownBar",

anchor =
            {
                anchor_pt   = "BOTTOM",
                relative_to = nUI_HUDLAYOUT_PLAYERTARGET.."Bottom",
                relative_pt = "CENTER",
                xOfs        = 0,
                yOfs        = 8,
            },
            options =
            {
                enabled      = true,
                scale        = 1,
                rows         = 1,
                cols         = 10,
                btn_size     = 45,
                hGap         = 2,
                vGap         = 0,
                origin       = "TOPLEFT",
                sound        = "Sound\\Event Sounds\\Wisp\\WispYes1.wav",
                fade         = false,
                dynamic_size = true,
                horizontal   = true,
                clickable    = false,

message =
                {
                    enabled     = true,
                    fontsize    = 25,
                    justifyH    = "CENTER",
                    justifyV    = "BOTTOM",
                    anchor_pt   = "BOTTOM",
                    relative_pt = "BOTTOM",
                    outline     = "THICKOUTLINE",
                    xOfs        = 0,
                    yOfs        = 2,
                    color       = { r = 1, g = 0.75, b = 0.75, a = 1 },
                },

timer =
                {
                    enabled     = true,
                    fontsize    = 10.5,
                    justifyH    = "CENTER",
                    justifyV    = "BOTTOM",
                    anchor_pt   = "TOP",
                    relative_pt = "BOTTOM",
                    xOfs        = 0,
                    yOfs        = -1,
                },
            },
        },

07-27-10, 08:34 AM   #16
Meshif
An Aku'mai Servant

DOH I was changed the wrong one....

I'm going to go try that right now!

Btw, I did make a donation!

I had overlooked "The second element [2] = "

w00tz that did it!!! Exactly what I wanted, and I enlarged the timer text as well. It's nice and clear now! No overlapping. It's WONDERFUL!

Thank You so very much!

Last edited by Meshif : 07-27-10 at 08:41 AM.

07-28-10, 04:34 AM   #17
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm glad you go it working and thank you very much for your support... it is deeply appreciated.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Spell Timers and Cooldowns