05-03-10, 05:01 PM   #1
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do we expect mod authors to get beta keys again?

In the WotLK beta, I seem to recall that WoWI addon authors could get keys so they could update addons. Do we anticipate that happening again? I'd love to be able to play Cat without feeling guilty about not having updated my addons when it comes out...

05-03-10, 08:09 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by seebs View Post
without feeling guilty about not having updated my addons when it comes out...
I just have to say.....

As a User, I can say no one should ever make you think you must sacrifice your time and or enjoyment of the game just so that they can have xxx precious addon ready for them to utilize the moment Cataclysm comes out.

Good things come to those who wait. I for one will be happy to play the game without addons until Author/s have time/energy/ambition/whatever to update their respective addons when the next big expansion comes out if they choose to.

/end rant

05-03-10, 09:27 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Seebs, given that we've been able to arrange it with them for every other expansion, I am reasonably sure that we'll be able to again this year, but until they actually say "yes" or "no", I can't make any promises. You know I'm trying to make sure we get them again though.

05-04-10, 02:05 PM   #4
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Awesome, thanks!

Last time, I managed to end up getting my key exactly during the last window during which a key could be gotten, but by the time I got it, I could no longer copy characters, because the test realms were down. Wanna be a little more careful this time.

05-20-10, 03:10 PM   #5
ballwinkle
Premium Member
This is great news! Thanks!

05-22-10, 02:29 AM   #6
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Active account required for beta?

05-22-10, 11:31 AM   #7
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Arrowmaster View Post
Active account required for beta?
yes. they will copy accounts to the test database at the beginning of the beta and any account that is inactive at this date won't be able to log in during this phase of the beta

at least that was the case with previous betas.

06-03-10, 05:23 PM   #8
Caiginn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by dafire View Post
at least that was the case with previous betas.
I'm wondering if it might be different this time. The SC2 beta is just another license in your Battle.net account, and the latest PTR seems to have added a separate WoW license (for me at least).

It's possible that a Battle.net profile is all you need, but they may check for a valid WoW license before allowing it to "work."

06-08-10, 04:45 AM   #9
Chimaine
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Sorry, I'm just terrible curious...

Blizzard plans to hand out beta keys to guilds and korean players. Are there any news on the addon author giveaway?

ATTN! A german writing english!

06-08-10, 07:43 AM   #10
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Caiginn View Post
I'm wondering if it might be different this time. The SC2 beta is just another license in your Battle.net account, and the latest PTR seems to have added a separate WoW license (for me at least).

It's possible that a Battle.net profile is all you need, but they may check for a valid WoW license before allowing it to "work."
SC2 is a separate game. The wow beta account is tightly bound to your wow account. (e.g. for chartransfers). If your wow account is not active you won't be able to get into the cata beta

@Caiginn: when there are any news about it, you will read it on the front page.

07-01-10, 07:33 AM   #11
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I just have to say.....

As a User, I can say no one should ever make you think you must sacrifice your time and or enjoyment of the game just so that they can have xxx precious addon ready for them to utilize the moment Cataclysm comes out.
Yepper.

I would say that the most important (or necessary, if you want to go that far) use for addons are for raiding, and people will have to get through 5 levels before doing that on Cata release.

07-01-10, 10:29 AM   #12
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
Yepper.

I would say that the most important (or necessary, if you want to go that far) use for addons are for raiding, and people will have to get through 5 levels before doing that on Cata release.
So if it follows the usual expansion trend, it'll be less than 2 days. I'd say about the 30-hour mark.

07-01-10, 12:08 PM   #13
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I just have to say.....

Good things come to those who wait. I for one will be happy to play the game without addons until Author/s have time/energy/ambition/whatever to update their respective addons when the next big expansion comes out if they choose to.

/end rant
/Emporor Palpatine voice on

I have taught you well, my young apprentice...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-02-10, 05:59 PM   #14
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Well, most of us are pretty attentive to the mods and the people that use them and we just want to stop having to worry about it and just 'play' so we'd probably do it the day things go live and depending on the problems, it can eat up a LOT of time. I recall spending over a week just tracking down one bug (turns out to be in blizzard's code, too) during the LK beta.

If I did manage to 'put off' doing it the day of, it'd prolly be a few weeks before I got back around do it so, yeah, letting us fix them in beta is a huge, huge thing for the majority of the fanbase.

I've played w/o my mods before to do isolation testing...how anyone plays wit the default UI is beyond me.

07-03-10, 08:40 AM   #15
Ricowan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I think Blizzard will probably wait until they've enabled third party addons before sending out invites to addon authors. Right now, we're limited to using clunky macros to do what little UI modding we can.

07-07-10, 02:51 PM   #16
Bl4ckSh33p
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Arrow

I hope you can get a key from the random selection if your account is not active. My subscription ends in a few days and I don't like to pay 13 Euros just to get a chance for a random key from Blizzard. It's boring and no raids are possible on my realm anymore until Cataclysm ships because most players stopped playing. -.-

07-07-10, 07:46 PM   #17
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
You MUST have an active account to get into the BETA.

07-08-10, 06:17 AM   #18
Bl4ckSh33p
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The person who decided this is just... stupid. My account was active 99.9% of the time in the last 5 years. It should be no problem to see this is an "active" account if I don't renew my subscription for 2-4 weeks.

07-08-10, 08:37 AM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The same login server is used for Beta and Live, iirc.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-11-10, 11:28 AM   #20
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Bl4ckSh33p View Post
The person who decided this is just... stupid. My account was active 99.9% of the time in the last 5 years. It should be no problem to see this is an "active" account if I don't renew my subscription for 2-4 weeks.
How would they know you would come back if assigned a beta key? Their logic is sound.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Do we expect mod authors to get beta keys again?