02-05-09, 07:33 AM   #1
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Making a UI

I have started making a new UI and was looking to optimize memory usage. What I don't really need is multiple addons doing the same thing. Have a look at the addons list and tell me if you see such addons or if there are better alternatives to the addons I am using.

Also I am not looking for decreased functionality. I am trying to make a high utility UI for myself with all the required information shown in a clutter-free manner.

Thanks.

Last edited by naeem151287 : 02-05-09 at 07:35 AM.
02-05-09, 08:14 AM   #2
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You will need

Addon Control Panel (To enable/disable mods ingame)
AddonLoader (you could delay heavy mods to be loaded after you enter the world, for example me Im delaying Auctioneer to load just on auctionhouse show, bigwigs/littlewigs only if I type /bigwigs nor if Im in a instance, AddonLoader helps you managing all that so you could have tons of heavy mods runing while you have a fast loading time because addons won't looad when you enter world of reloadui but delayed after, you have to mod a lot of toc file though to make mods compatible with addonloader because not a lot knows it. Just simply delay the load of Auc-Stat-StdDev and Informant and all others Auc* stuffs should be loaded only on auctionhouse show.
You would consider something other than FuBar, here after some benchmark test I ended up with a FuBar full of plugin but the FuBar was taking up to 20% of the cpu sometimes! there is lightweight alternatives now with the lib LibDataBroker and tons of bar mods acepting LDB, i have listed almost them all here in the supported mod list.

I think overally you have good mods but if yu are looking lightweight you should focus on:

-removing embedded libs from each addon and put the libs in standalone mod as any other addon works, that way all addons call one copy of the lib rather than calling several copies of a same lib
-ACP for easy load/disload of mods in game
-AddonLoader optionaly to delay big mods
-priotize the run of lightweight mods, just enable on demand what do you really need example, AckisRecipeList by default supports AddonLoader, this make Ackis mod to load only if you type /ackis nor load your tradskill windows but if you dont install AddonLoader, Ackisrecipe wont be delayed and will be loaded anytime your enterworld or reloadui and it affects a lot the load time. the same for other Bigs ones like Mobinfos* BigsWigs* AtlasLoot* etc but not all supports the loader by default so you have to add them yourself in toc files. Good luck thats worse trying all that you will see sounds fastidious but thats really easy finaly
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 02-05-09 at 08:22 AM.
02-05-09, 08:25 AM   #3
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks Mera. To be honest I am not looking at light weight, but I don't want to be wasting memory as well. So that is why I want to remove addons which are not needed if there is already an addon having a specific function. I will surely look at ACP and AddonLoader to delay loading heavy addons
02-05-09, 08:40 AM   #4
Mera

Premium Member
I see sorry, then in that case for now I see

!Swatter == Buggrabber+BugSack

they are both debug windows but I find Swatter gives less infos than both others so I delete Swatter here.

Also that is more about cosmetics but if you want pitbull and Quartz and Cartographer in one folder rather having multiple Quartz* and PitBull* and Cartographer* folders you can grab them directly from the svn with toirtoisesvn they are structured in only one folder by default, this helps then to not have millions of modules showing up in your ACP list, you disable modules then directly in the mod options.
Else that is just what I see for now I dont know a few of your mods so I don't really see what could override what, hope it helps
02-05-09, 10:02 AM   #5
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Please don't be sorry. I think I am pretty much set. I just need an addon which tracks cooldowns (items, spells), DOTs/HOTs/CCs and stuff. Preferably just one addon which does all this. If someone could suggest one I'll be really grateful.
02-05-09, 10:31 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Normal users should not use standalone libraries. Also, having standalone libraries does *nothing* for your performance or memory usage.

Also, normal users should *not* be pulling things from the wowace svn. Those alpha versions are not syndicated to Curse for a reason. The versions authors want people to use will be put on Curse.

Having the Cartographer, Quartz, PitBull, etc modules pulled out into his addon folder in that fashion *saves* him memory, which is why they are packaged that way in the first place. When they are pulled out, they are fully Load on Demand. If they are in the parent folder, they get loaded whether you use them or not.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-05-09, 03:18 PM   #7
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

im not saying anything i use is better, some i feel that way, some i havnt tried, and i know some are not, but im to stubborn to switch. but ill tell you what i use that is different.

baggins for my bags (tough setup, well worth it)
macaroon for my bars (requires a 3rd party patch, and might be dying /cry)
dotimer and power aura classic for my buffs/debuggs/dots/CDs (also not easy set ups)
mapster for world map
tomtom for waypoints
tiptac for my tooltips
(i dont use) kgpanels, but it should replace eepanels2
dockingstation (LDB) instead of fubar
chatter for my chat windows
azcastbar for my cast bars
lilsparky's workshop for my tradeskills

i could be mistaken but i see both grid and pitbull for unitframes, i dont use grid so this could be for a very good reason for all i know
might give the beta pitbull 4 a go, its really looking good, but keep pb3 around for the raid frames, pb4 has not yet implemented them, or of course grid would substitute as well
02-05-09, 04:19 PM   #8
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by khurzog View Post
im not saying anything i use is better, some i feel that way, some i havnt tried, and i know some are not, but im to stubborn to switch. but ill tell you what i use that is different.

baggins for my bags (tough setup, well worth it)
macaroon for my bars (requires a 3rd party patch, and might be dying /cry)
dotimer and power aura classic for my buffs/debuggs/dots/CDs (also not easy set ups)
mapster for world map
tomtom for waypoints
tiptac for my tooltips
(i dont use) kgpanels, but it should replace eepanels2
dockingstation (LDB) instead of fubar
chatter for my chat windows
azcastbar for my cast bars
lilsparky's workshop for my tradeskills

i could be mistaken but i see both grid and pitbull for unitframes, i dont use grid so this could be for a very good reason for all i know
might give the beta pitbull 4 a go, its really looking good, but keep pb3 around for the raid frames, pb4 has not yet implemented them, or of course grid would substitute as well
You could definitely switch to Bartender+Autobar for those bars. I like ArkInventory for the bags because its pretty configurable and very easy to setup. I was having problems with AZCastBar so I stuck around with Quartz and Cartographer Waypoints still work well. I really need to get those DOTs/HOTs/cooldowns setup (I don't know what to use) and also need to get rid of FuBar and try DockingStation (LDB). I could definitely get rid of GRID and use Pitbull for the raid frames but sometimes they are a ***** to setup
02-05-09, 10:52 PM   #9
naeem151287
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks a lot guys. I am using DockingStation + StatsBlock (LBD) and loving it. Let me know if you can suggest any more effective changes. This is the new addon list :

This is the basic look for now :

Last edited by naeem151287 : 02-06-09 at 07:52 AM.
02-06-09, 04:28 AM   #10
Mera

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Also, normal users should *not* be pulling things from the wowace svn. Those alpha versions are not syndicated to Curse for a reason.
because Curse moderators just want you to dl from there site with ads rather than the svn because they won't get the bill at the month end but of course anyone can use svn and of course removing embeds saves memory/cpu because the client won't parse it at loading time to check if the lib already exists so even if the gain is small there is always a gain, saves also physical space here went down from a 130Mb folder to a 75Mb one once removing dupes.

Last edited by Mera : 02-06-09 at 07:13 AM.
02-06-09, 10:39 AM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, Mera, that is not why they are not pushed to Curse. Using the svn/git/etc uses *more* bandwidth for Curse (part of why wowace started having problems and created the zip packager on the original site), copies on wowace are working copies with untested and unfinished buggy code most often, and authors will tag a version as a beta or release version (sending it to the curse page) for normal users' consumption. Users updating their alpha versions for new locale updates, tiny dry-code fixes, etc, etc every day are precisely why wowace went under and had to team with Curse. It is all detailed in various threads and sticky posts over there.

But all of that is off-topic. Still, though, people need to understand that wowace is not where normal users (non-alpha testers or devs) should be sent for their addons.

Saving a second or two on loading time while the client sorts through library versions at login is not the same as saving on memory/cpu when playing the game. This is an old post about WAU, thus it is not stickied any longer, but it still describes whether someone should use standalone libraries or not: http://forums.wowace.com/showthread....lone+libraries
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Making a UI