02-13-12, 12:34 PM   #1
Wheemz
A Defias Bandit
Compilations - I'm tired of it now!

Hello there forum.

I'm a big fan of compilations. I'm not very good at making my own UI, so I usually end up downloading an addon compilation. And I always end up deleting it again, because it simply WILL NOT WORK.

I back up my interface and WTF folder (just in case) and then I drag and drop the Interface and WTF folder into my WoW folder. I rename the "YOURACCOUNTNAMEHERE" folder as well as the "YOURSERVERNAMEHERE" - but whenever I try to log in, I get the "either you have typed your password wrong, or you do not have an account on this region" - as far as I know, I'm the only person with this type of error when I install addon compilations. So, I must do SOMETHING wrong, since I get this message.
02-13-12, 01:24 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You're playing in a region other than the creator of the compilation.

Since in the WTF folder is contained setting for the realmlist (ie where your game will try to find servers for you to play on)
it tries to log you on to EU while you're playing US or RU etc.
02-13-12, 03:16 PM   #3
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

May have to find a compilation that doesn't include the regional information in it's WTF files (authors need to pay more attention to the Config.wtf files ), or remove that information yourself from the Config.wtf file.

If the compilation comes with a WTF\Launcher.wtf file, you can delete that file. It's useless to include in a compilation and can cause more harm than good.
02-13-12, 04:11 PM   #4
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
May have to find a compilation that doesn't include the regional information in it's WTF files (authors need to pay more attention to the Config.wtf files ), or remove that information yourself from the Config.wtf file.

If the compilation comes with a WTF\Launcher.wtf file, you can delete that file. It's useless to include in a compilation and can cause more harm than good.
Anything else we can delete? I'm sure there's some things I'm not aware of.

Last edited by Rosoaa : 02-13-12 at 04:38 PM.
02-13-12, 04:38 PM   #5
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

My general guidelines are as follows:

Delete:
  • WTF\Launcher.wtf
  • WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\
    • bindings-cache.wtf
    • macros-cache.txt
    • SavedVariables.lua
  • WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\REALM\CHARACTER\
    • All files (but not the SavedVariables folder)
  • All files under the WTF folder that have the extension .old or .bak (a simple search in Windows Explorer allows quick deletion of all these files)
  • Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_ folders

Config.wtf:
Delete all entries in the Config.wtf file which aren't important to your compilation or provide some convenience for the end user. These are the common elements I find can be useful for compilations:
  • SET readTOS "1" (skips the TOS dialog)
  • SET readEULA "1" (skips the EULA dialog)
  • SET playIntroMovie "4" (skips the intro movie)
  • SET uiScale "#" (use this and replace # if your UI requires a certain UI scale to function)
  • SET useUiScale "0/1" (0 for off, 1 for on)
  • SET gxWindow "1" (starts WoW off in windowed mode, allows users to quickly alt-tab to read your installation instructions, etc)
Everything else can be set automatically by WoW.
Around a year ago I spent several weeks trying to diagnose a user of RealUI's very sluggish performance in raids. Turns out some info I left in the Config.wtf file was incompatible with his system and was causing major issues. Lesson learned, as they say

Last edited by Nibelheim : 02-13-12 at 04:42 PM.
02-13-12, 04:53 PM   #6
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
There are also quite a few UI's which include a setup addon so that you don't need to modify any WTF files.
02-13-12, 05:10 PM   #7
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

I sincerely found http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Installer.html to be invaluable.

Eliminates the need for everything in the WTF folder (well, almost everything!), but with the exception of loading all out of date addons and setting UIscale (which can be done with other addons) you don't need to include a WTF folder at all.

If compilers are willing to spend the time changing the addon SavedVariables in the installer with each update the downloaders lives are made much easier.
02-13-12, 06:22 PM   #8
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Wow, this is some valuable information. Thanks for sharing.

I wish there was a master list of compilation information other than this: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21175

Something that will go more into detail rather than just the basics would be awesome.

Last edited by Rosoaa : 02-13-12 at 06:26 PM.
02-14-12, 08:11 AM   #9
Wheemz
A Defias Bandit
Wow guys. Thanks for the quick responses! I have to say I was a little mad when I wrote that message for thanks for not yelling at me .

I'll try to do the things Nibelheim said in the comments.

Once again, thanks for your quick response!
02-14-12, 05:15 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
SET gxWindow "1" [color="Silver"](starts WoW off in windowed mode, allows users to quickly alt-tab to read your installation instructions, etc)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be pretty irritated if I installed an addon and it switched to windowed mode without asking me. This setting is not relevant to the actual operation of any addons, so you should leave it how the user has already chosen to set it.
02-14-12, 05:34 PM   #11
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be pretty irritated if I installed an addon and it switched to windowed mode without asking me. This setting is not relevant to the actual operation of any addons, so you should leave it how the user has already chosen to set it.
Well, if they're installing a compilation with the Config.wtf included then their prior settings will be erased. I guess it's more a personal preference, but agreed, best to leave it out and just let them change the settings in-game.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Compilations - I'm tired of it now!