01-07-11, 08:54 AM   #1
Kurokaze
A Kobold Labourer
First Addon - Needing help

Hiya everyone,
I recently started of thinking of making an addon for WoW, so I've begun work on it. I'm used to C# and a bit of Java, but not to Lua. So the way it works it's kinda weird to me.

My IDE is the WoW UI Designer, which reminds me of Visual Studio which I also use alot.

I also tried making a minimap button (took it from a post on a forum somewhere, no idea why, I just googled it) but it doesn't seem to work, not to mention that when I run my game the addon just sticks to the screen like an always on top and does not close. (Probably an eternal while or somethin').

I've been redirected here to ask for help with the development.
And I was kinda curious if there's a good and easy tutorial to understand the basic concepts, if that includes the development through the WoW UI Designer it would be even better.

Thanks in advance,
Kurokaze

PS: Any idea on how to create or call a form similar to the one used for that list of icons ingame?
01-07-11, 10:32 AM   #2
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Personally, I would recommend WoWpedia as starting point. You'll find API-documentation and some basic tutorials there.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Portal:Interface_customization

Although, WoWLua is no C#, you'll have to do much more 'dirty work'. There are some templates you can use, but they don't cover huge 'forms' or stuff.

Actually you can view Blizzards Interface code in the FrameXML, for example tekkub has an repo on github.com.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » First Addon - Needing help