07-15-12, 01:51 AM   #1
stargatingit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Addon to identify transmog gear in your inventory

Like the title of the thread says, I'm looking for an addon that will tell me when I loot a piece of gear that is a piece that people like to use for transmog.

I looted a Saltstone chestpiece the other day and not realizing that it was an extremely popular piece for transmog I sold it on the AH for a LOT less than I could have. It sold in less than a half an hour, and wondering why it sold so fast I looked it up on www.wowhead.com to see what it was that I missed. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, because when I found out what it was, I was quite upset that I had sold it so cheaply.

I myself am not into the whole transmog thing, but I would love to be able to know when I come into possession of such pieces in the future. Not sure if a database of those items already exist or not, but all I would really like is for a little alarm or some such sound to go off when I loot a piece, so I know to do a little research on it before just popping it on the AH w/ a price that's based off of it's stats instead of just the name. It would be very time consuming to have to go onto wowhead for every piece of gear I get just to make sure that it's not part of some transmog set. Ugh, that would be such a huge pain! So if it can be done, or someone already has something like it, that would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited by stargatingit : 07-15-12 at 01:51 AM. Reason: grammar
07-15-12, 04:27 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Probably your best bet would be to get an addon that shows you current/recent auction prices on your realm, either in item tooltips or even just in the auction house when you're putting an item up for auction.

Going through every single item in the game and trying to guess whether it should be included in a list of "gear that people think looks cool enough to transmog" seems like an enormous amount of time and effort for very little benefit. How often does this really happen, anyway, and what did you really lose? You looted the item for free, so the only thing you "lost" was something you didn't have in the first place anyway. Plus, you probably made someone's day by giving them a cool transmog skin for way less than they thought they were going to have to pay.
07-15-12, 03:30 PM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Personally, I would recommend installing The Undermine Journal General Edition. That way you would have an idea in the tooltip the average value of an item. If it appears exceptionally valuable, it's very likely to be a popular X Mog item.

Another addon to look at would be MogIt It has a handful of accessory modules that make it a near priceless addon to have.
07-15-12, 05:33 PM   #4
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Keep in mind that the Undermine Journal addon only works for the US, if you want accurate info, visit their site:
https://theunderminejournal.com/
https://eu.theunderminejournal.com/
09-20-12, 11:00 AM   #5
ckaotik
A Fallenroot Satyr

On a side note, besides using auction price history data, wowhead has quite a few transmog sets which are also parsed by recent versions of LibPeriodicTable.
So, if you used an addon that displays LPT data, such as Mendeleev, it could show "Part of TransmogSets.Cloth.Rare.Awesome Transmog Set" in item tooltips.

However, I can't imagine an addon telling you "Oh, that robe you have, it's very pretty when worn by a nightelf. You should sell it for xyz gold on the neutral auction house". Taste is too subjective for automating something like this :P
09-20-12, 11:41 AM   #6
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

(minor necro aside) MogIt is good even if you use none of the other features and just enable the model-preview tooltip on your items.

A good looking item will probably catch your eye and alert you to the possibility of profit.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon to identify transmog gear in your inventory