01-13-10, 01:41 AM   #1
arkady25
A Defias Bandit
4 days with nUI and what i've found

I'm new to nUI so some of these problems/suggestions/pet peeves might be answered somewhere else or fixed in the most recent version (just installed tonight). Overall I love the addon

1. Proffesor Putricide - attmepts remaining runs off screen
2. Gun Ship Battle - HP bars of the boats get shoved off screen below the mini map. The hud doesn't change while mounted in a gun so displays useless info like your hp/mp instead of heat charges. It does show your gun as a 'pet'. So really tiny and kinda anyoing to keep an eye on while watching other stuff.
3. Flame Laviathan - After dismounting hot keys get messed up and macros don't work. (might be a boomkin problem)
4. Chat bars - In order to have enough chat to make it useful the font needs to be set at microscopic. 2 fixes i've found, A) Increase the font size so you only see about 3 lines. B) Enlarge the font box vertically to cover up all your buffs. Please make the chat screen wider.
5. Target debuffs/castbar/lattency - Please have a quartz like option. The bar system quartz uses is easier to view at a glance, the lattency cast bar is easier seen in prefferal vision. I feel i need to stare at this tiny blue lattency bar with a 28in monitor.
6. Fading out abilities. Please have an option to turn this off. Some abilities are being faded out even though they are usuable. Best example of this would be druids battle res w/ glyph will shadow it out because it "needs" a reagent.
7. An easy way to move an individual action bar to wherever you wanted would be nice.
8. Raid frames. It would be nice to have all the raid frames together and the map somewhere else (disabled maybe) while in groups. The current layout for the raid frames takes up more space to click between than the standard blizzard frames. It would also be nice if debuffs could be bigger, or maybe just specific ones like penetrating cold or the saurfang debuff.
9. The bar at the top. Many times i have clicked up there to try and target a mob only to get my achievement panel in my face instead. Is it possible to have that as a pull out side bar similiar to what there is for auctioneer or maybe the same as the minimap button bag.
10. Changing rep bars small pet peeve here. If you have a bar that is say 3/4 full and change to a bar that is 1/2 full the missing quarter will look "burned" into your screen.
11. A place for debuffs. There might be somewhere i'm not looking. It seems that debuffs are only shown on your postage stamp sized portriat or with a HUD up. It would be nice to not have to have a HUD up to see if i get a curse of blow up the raid in 10sec.
12. Simple Hud. I kinda love it. Do the bars mean anything? It would be nice if the bars were of you MP/Rage/Energy on the left and bosses MP/Rage/Energy on the right since HP is already shown with the pointers.
13. Group sort seems broken. On this point also priest spell Prayer of Healing heals an entire party. It would be nice to easily see all 5 players in a group in some organised fashion. It seems even if raid sort worked it would still show groups of 4 not 5 as would be ideal.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text. Still love the addon. Would love to see it get better

01-13-10, 04:27 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'll answer the items I am aware of or can explain. Hopefully others can help with the ones I cannot.

Originally Posted by arkady25 View Post
I'm new to nUI so some of these problems/suggestions/pet peeves might be answered somewhere else or fixed in the most recent version (just installed tonight). Overall I love the addon

2. Gun Ship Battle - HP bars of the boats get shoved off screen below the mini map. The hud doesn't change while mounted in a gun so displays useless info like your hp/mp instead of heat charges. It does show your gun as a 'pet'. So really tiny and kinda anyoing to keep an eye on while watching other stuff.
3. Flame Laviathan - After dismounting hot keys get messed up and macros don't work. (might be a boomkin problem)
This has been reported and only seems to be happening recently and it has been hard to track down anything specific causing it as it is just not a mount/dismount related problem.
4. Chat bars - In order to have enough chat to make it useful the font needs to be set at microscopic. 2 fixes i've found, A) Increase the font size so you only see about 3 lines. B) Enlarge the font box vertically to cover up all your buffs. Please make the chat screen wider.
At the moment the only way to make the chat screen wider is to use the Layout folder's files to change the layout of every element connected to the chat frame so that widening the chat doesn't badly effect the solo/party/raid frames area which in itself is just as important as chat display. This type of customisation will be easier in nUI6 but is a bit more involving in nUI5.
5. Target debuffs/castbar/lattency - Please have a quartz like option. The bar system quartz uses is easier to view at a glance, the lattency cast bar is easier seen in prefferal vision. I feel i need to stare at this tiny blue lattency bar with a 28in monitor.
Again, changing the cast bar is also able to be adjusted via the CastBar file in the HUD folder you need to change it in. Unfortunately a quick look at the file itself ( eg. nUI_HUDSkin_PlayerTarget_Castbar.lua ) there is nothing than sizes the latency bar but does allow sizing of the GCD and the bar itself.
6. Fading out abilities. Please have an option to turn this off. Some abilities are being faded out even though they are usuable. Best example of this would be druids battle res w/ glyph will shadow it out because it "needs" a reagent.
I am not 100% on this but I recall people not using nUI having this problem a while back. I personally never noticed this myself and I grabbed every possible glyph possible like this on all my characters. Have you double checked that the fading out ( its been awhile since I used Blizz UI to know if it fades in standard Blizz UI ) doesn't happen without any addons ?
7. An easy way to move an individual action bar to wherever you wanted would be nice.
With nUI6 it will be a lot easier but as mentioned above you can move quite a few of the elements around, but it is best to do this one at a time as they usually interact with each other and moving one item can cause another to move with it.
8. Raid frames. It would be nice to have all the raid frames together and the map somewhere else (disabled maybe) while in groups. The current layout for the raid frames takes up more space to click between than the standard blizzard frames. It would also be nice if debuffs could be bigger, or maybe just specific ones like penetrating cold or the saurfang debuff.
9. The bar at the top. Many times i have clicked up there to try and target a mob only to get my achievement panel in my face instead. Is it possible to have that as a pull out side bar similiar to what there is for auctioneer or maybe the same as the minimap button bag.
Unfortunately the achievement frame ( I assume you mean the quest/objective tracker ) is the standard blizz one with nUI simple mvoing it to fit into the UI easier. Using /nui movers will allow you to move it where you want it to appear though. Also, I have been trying to make an nUI friendly version of this window so that it can be used in an info panel or as a smaller/scrollable/moveable window. I am just having problems with it at the moment.
10. Changing rep bars small pet peeve here. If you have a bar that is say 3/4 full and change to a bar that is 1/2 full the missing quarter will look "burned" into your screen.
I believe that is just a time delay related to how you see the health/mana bars show what is being lost/gained briefly between the old health/mana to the current health/mana.
11. A place for debuffs. There might be somewhere i'm not looking. It seems that debuffs are only shown on your postage stamp sized portriat or with a HUD up. It would be nice to not have to have a HUD up to see if i get a curse of blow up the raid in 10sec.
12. Simple Hud. I kinda love it. Do the bars mean anything? It would be nice if the bars were of you MP/Rage/Energy on the left and bosses MP/Rage/Energy on the right since HP is already shown with the pointers.
13. Group sort seems broken. On this point also priest spell Prayer of Healing heals an entire party. It would be nice to easily see all 5 players in a group in some organised fashion. It seems even if raid sort worked it would still show groups of 4 not 5 as would be ideal.
This has been mentioned before but I can't remember what the result of the discussion.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text. Still love the addon. Would love to see it get better

01-13-10, 08:03 AM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm presuming this is one of the battleground timers? If so, you should be able to use '/nui movers' to enable dragging and move the time anchor to a place that allows you to see the entire timer, then use '/nui movers' a second time to lock everything back down.

If you would, post a screen shot of the HP bars being shoved off the bottom of the screen... I'm guessing they're Blizzard health bars that you shouldn't be seeing at all, but need to see them to be sure. If you reply to this message, just scroll down the reply page and you'll find a "Manage Attachments" button you can click to upload the screen shot directly to this thread.

It would also help if you could try and identify the bars for me... you should be able to place your mouse over one of them and then type in /script print( GetMouseFocus():GetName() ) and let me know what it reports.

All of that said, Blizzard treats vehicles identically to pets. In fact, if you are mounted on a vehicle, most times UnitHealth( "pet" ) will actually return the health of the vehicle. Put another way, all vehicles are pets, not all pets are vehicles. The guns are vehicles. So, their health, power, etc., appear in the same manner as a pet's health and power. That said, it is possible that nUI is not correctly collecting the power for the guns, so that may well be a bug. I'll look into it.

This is a known issue which appears to have been recently introduced as a Blizz bug in the 3.3 patch. I am narrowing in on the issue thanks to a tip from Gman the other day. Hopefully I'll have a fix soon. In a nutshell, it appears that Blizzard is not honoring the fact that addons have reassigned key bindings from the Blizzard action bars to the addon action bars and is "stealing" the key binds back when it shouldn't. The "fix" is for me to come up with a programmatic way to detect when this happens and "reclaim" the key bindings.

This one I have to say is subjective. For every complaint I get that the chat frame is too small, I get another one that it is too big. It's a no-win in the default UI. nUI6 will address this by making it easier to resize the chat frame. In the meantime, you can edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > nUI_Layout_Default_Dashboard.lua ] and locate the chat frame section... then set it to whatever size you want it to be.

This, too, is subjective. It's because you're used to seeing the quartz style latency bar and, thus, have a muscle memory associated with it. I have a long list of people who love the nUI style latency bar and an even longer list of people who would pitch a fit if I changed it. That said, nUI6 will offer you 4 styles of latency presentation in cast bar... one of which will be quartz-like. Personally, I hate the quartz style of latency bar, if that matters any.

Is this where I'm supposed to say "rtfm" ?? ~smile~

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21199

/nui bar dimming

By default, while you are in combat or have an active target, if any action on your bar is unusable or active on your target, it is dimmed as a cue that you cannot or do not need to cast it yet and brightens when it procs or expires on the target. This option toggles this behavior on and off.

Ummm... okay... again...

/nui movers

Enables and disables moving the standard Blizzard UI frames such as tooltips, durability, quest timer, quest tracker, PvP objectives, etc.

All of this is covered in nUI6. It's a known issue, particularly for healers, having the raid frames separated by the minimap (which is acually the focus frame location if you have a focus set). The original idea was to have the player, target and focus unit frames centered in the unit panel, with the raid info surrounding that. I'll offer a healer option in nUI6 which will move that orientation in order to place all raid unit frames together.

nUI6 will also offer white-list and black-list options for aura displays which will accomplish the other item you're after.

/nui console {on|off|mouseover}

Sets the visibility option for the top console where 'on' always show the console, 'off' always hides the console and 'mouseover' shows the console when the mouse is over the console.

You can also use '/nui movers' to relocate the micro-menu to a less annoying place for your style of game play.

That's because the bar is tracking the "change" in the bar. That "change" fades after a moment. nUI uses one code base for displaying all bars... health, power, XP, Rep, etc. The "change" feature is available on the all the bars as a result.

If you are using the Player/Target or Health/Power HUD, the player debuffs are displayed very prominently in the upper left of the HUD right under your name. Your pet/vehicle's debuffs are displayed on the left of the HUD, as well, under its name.

If you are using the SimpleHUD then the debuffs appear on the left side of the HealthRace bar. You can find the location of all of nUI's elements itemized here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21108

Then it wouldn't be the simple HUD anymore would it? ~smile~

From the documentation...

============= IN-HUD HEALTH RACE BAR ==============

The top bar in the HUD, directly below the player character on screen is the nUI Health Race bar (which is only visible when you are targeting a player or mob that you can attack). This bar is made up of four components... the bar itself, a player health button at the top left, a target health button at the top right and a relative health button (the race button) at the bottom center. In short, this single bar gives a quick view of the player's health and target's health relative to their individual maximums as well as their percent health relative to one another. I highly recommend you give this bar a try for PvP as it provides you a powerful single reference to measure your progress against your opponent.

At full health, the player health button is to the far left edge of the bar and the target health button to the far right... as either the player's health or the target's health declines, their respective buttons will move toward the center of the bar. The first one to the middle loses! ~smile~ At a glance, both buttons show their health as a percentage of their maximums.

The key button is the relative health button at the bottom of the bar. This button measures the relative health of the player (as a percent of the player's maximum) as compared to the relative health of the target (as a percent of the target's maximum). When the button is at the center of the bar, then the player and target have the same relative health. If the player's percentage of their maximum health is higher than the target's, the relative health button will move left of center. If the target's health is higher as a percentage of its maximum as compared to the player's percentage of total health, the button moves to the right.

The further left of center the bottom button moves, the higher the player's health relative to the target's and visa versa. A relative health of 100 means the player is at full health and the target at or near death in which case the bottom button will be to the far left of the bar and the bar color will be bright green. A relative health of -100 means the target is at full health the player at or near death and the bar will be colored bright red. If both the target and player are at near equal health as a percentage of their maximums, the button will be at the center and the bar colored yellow.

This is an issue of space available in part, it's an issue of combat taint in part and it's an issue of not "seeing" the sort in part. I thought I posted this in just the last day or two, but can't find it in a quick search, so maybe it was just an e-mail support question I was replying to. Anyway, here's how the raid sort works.

The unit frames are presented in the following manner for a 25 man raid...

Code:
01 02 03 04        16 15 14 13
05 06 07 08        20 19 18 17
09 10 11 12        24 23 22 21
Note that there are only 24 unit frames there... your unit frame is *not* among them because you already have a larger unit frame... why display the same thing twice. So that means one of the five raid groups will only display 4 units... the four that are in the same group as yourself. The other four raid groups will display 5 units. So, if you are in group 1, the raid sort would look like this...

Code:
1 1 1 1    4 4 3 3
2 2 2 2    5 4 4 4
2 3 3 3    5 5 5 5
So... they are sorted. It just appear as such at first glance. Also, if your raid changes during combat (like often happens in battelgrounds) your raid sort will not change until you leave combat. It *has* to be this way or it would cause taint.

The healer friendly unit panels in nUI6 will use the more familiar 5x unit frame layout all grouped tightly together and will repeat the player's own unit frame so this issue is addressed. The DPS unit frames will remain more or less the same though they'll be simplified to only show the info a DPS player needs to know about their raid.

No worries... I do not ascribe to the "tl;dnr" attitude so prevalent these days. I often generate walls of text... it's called "communicating ideas"

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-13-10, 10:51 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
ooh, I learnt something new Didn't realise that was the way you sorted the raid frames out Scott. Rofl.

01-13-10, 12:43 PM   #5
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
If you would, post a screen shot of the HP bars being shoved off the bottom of the screen... I'm guessing they're Blizzard health bars that you shouldn't be seeing at all, but need to see them to be sure. If you reply to this message, just scroll down the reply page and you'll find a "Manage Attachments" button you can click to upload the screen shot directly to this thread.
Yeah, they are blizz default healthbars. They are different then the "normal" ones as they represent the "health" of the enemy ship. They seem to be hooked to the mini map. (Blizz sure loves that minimap these days)

The look like the elite unit frame tho, I haven't seen them everytime I did the fight (AFAIK, busy killing things y'know).

No screenshot but a tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdsJT...layer_embedded

01-13-10, 03:58 PM   #6
arkady25
A Defias Bandit
Awsome answers and quick!

I'll do my best to get the 2 screen shots. I don't think the Proffesor Putricide attempts remaining is a battle ground text but I'll check it out tonight w/ the movers. If not I will post a screen shot.

Quote:

Ummm... okay... again...

/nui movers

Enables and disables moving the standard Blizzard UI frames such as tooltips, durability, quest timer, quest tracker, PvP objectives, etc.
Sorry I asked the wrong question. I ment move one individual button or portion of a bar. I guess this stems from the problem that some of the easiest abilities to click are already keybound. If i could swap the side action bars and action bar 1 it would be ok too, but they are the wrong shape. I guess if i ask the wrong question i get the wrong answer

01-13-10, 04:45 PM   #7
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder

Hmm - I see heat as my pet's energy building up in the HUD - since i just pay attention that I don't have any issues.

This is a documented problem with hotkeys randomly losing themselves at times.

The layout that is there limits the size of the chat window. Don't like it, get Prat. or make another chat window that you can freely float and make whatever size you want. Either way, making the chat window bigger would throw off the layout the author has designed.

Remember - he's designing this for himself and sharing with us and he fixes bugs. You're welcome to create your own UI to your own specs and share it with others if ya like!

Don't know what to say to you - I watch the cast bar (my main is a warlock) and the blue is there. If I'm having to move, obviously I'm not having to watch my cast bar. Since the cast bar is in the lower middle of the screen, I see anything important that I need to see while standing and casting.

Can't say I've noticed this really. I do see the cast bar with durations on them darken, but as a lock, that's just showing me the duration of DoTs.

Won't happen (at least in nUI 5.x) - the author uses Blizzards action bars and implements them into the layout he's chosen to have.

The raid frames are being revamped in nUI6. You can always use grid/healbot/vuhdo for raid frames elsewhere on the screen, laid out to your own criteria.

If you read the docs/faq/searched these forums, you would find the commands to turn it off or make it on mouseover. There's even a plugin that will do them for you.

Deadly boss mods ftw

Dunno if nUI 6 will allow the customizing of the info in the HUD. Again, the UI was written for the author himself and displays what he feels is important to him

Can't say I've noticed this. I have my groups sorted by number and everyone shows in order on my screen when in raids.

Glad you do! Just wait til you see v6

Marth

01-13-10, 04:54 PM   #8
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
ooh, I learnt something new Didn't realise that was the way you sorted the raid frames out Scott. Rofl.
You noob

Marth

01-13-10, 05:04 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Is this where I'm supposed to say "rtfm" ?? ~smile~

Sorry, that was just too funny seeing you say that!

01-13-10, 05:20 PM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Sorry I asked the wrong question. I ment move one individual button or portion of a bar. I guess this stems from the problem that some of the easiest abilities to click are already keybound. If i could swap the side action bars and action bar 1 it would be ok too, but they are the wrong shape. I guess if i ask the wrong question i get the wrong answer
There are two easy ways to move the actions around on the bars. The quickest way is to hold the shift key and then drag the action off the bar you want to move it from, then drop it where you want it. The second way is to press "Escape" to bring up the WoW options menu, select "Interface" then "ActionBars" and uncheck the option to lock the action bars... then you can move spells around without holding the shift key.

01-13-10, 05:28 PM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Won't happen (at least in nUI 5.x) - the author uses Blizzards action bars and implements them into the layout he's chosen to have.
Strictly for the sake of clarification for those reading over our shoulders, so there's no confusion going forward, I don't actually use Blizz's action bars... they are my own custom bars the replace the Blizz bars. However, I do use the same button template that Blizz uses for their action bars so that my bars behave exactly the same way theirs do.

Again... only to prevent confusion.

01-14-10, 02:59 AM   #12
arkady25
A Defias Bandit
Awsome feed back! 99% of my problems are fixed . Proffesor Putricedes attempts were the PVP objectives. My only problem is I still can't get the raid sort to work properly. In 25 man it is displaying as;

1 1 2 2 5 4 5 3
1 2 1 2 4 3 2 1
4 5 3 4 5 5 4 3

I have tried the /commands for the different sorting and nothing changes.

01-14-10, 05:18 AM   #13
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'll have a look at that this weekend. I thought raid sort was fixed. Maybe not.

02-04-10, 09:49 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you would, post a screen shot of the HP bars being shoved off the bottom of the screen... I'm guessing they're Blizzard health bars that you shouldn't be seeing at all, but need to see them to be sure.
Here ya go.. I think this is what you need to see.

02-21-10, 12:04 AM   #15
Vrallox
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I kept wondering why Blizzard didn't give the gunships health bars. I also wondered how the raid leader could tell how close to winning we were.

02-21-10, 08:40 PM   #16
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I will be putting out a fix for this this coming week sometime.

03-19-10, 10:49 AM   #17
loogielv
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
damn, i can't WAIT for nUI6. Gon' be siiiick

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » 4 days with nUI and what i've found