06-04-09, 09:33 PM   #1481
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
WE CAN and DO state that WoWI is being honest! We feel this way because we still believe that some people are inherently honest. We trust them because they have earned our trust. I told you the reasons why a few posts back, but you obviously refused to read it, because you're still chasin' your tail in that endless spiral.
Many of us don't have to take their word on faith or trust, we were here for the whole goddamn thing.
06-04-09, 09:33 PM   #1482
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
You realize that minion is exactly that, right? You should know damn well that good software isn't created overnight, and WM has been around a lot longer. Minion will get better, just as the curse client has.
From the 10 or so minutes that I used minion, the ONLY thing that really bothered me was the ad. I know what BETA is all about, and I expected some features/things to be missing or not work. But if WM doesn't have to have huge ads in their software, I really don't think WoWi has to either. Look, I have to use the internet all day at work...I see freaking ads all the time. I don't want to have to come home to play WOW just to find more ads to contend with.

Links are one thing. Flashy ads are quite another.
(did no one read my post about Elvis earlier??)
06-04-09, 09:35 PM   #1483
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
From the 10 or so minutes that I used minion, the ONLY thing that really bothered me was the ad. I know what BETA is all about, and I expected some features/things to be missing or not work. But if WM doesn't have to have huge ads in their software, I really don't think WoWi has to either. Look, I have to use the internet all day at work...I see freaking ads all the time. I don't want to have to come home to play WOW just to find more ads to contend with.

Links are one thing. Flashy ads are quite another.
(did no one read my post about Elvis earlier??)

Then don't use it. Problem solved.
06-04-09, 09:35 PM   #1484
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Many of us don't have to take their word on faith or trust, we were here for the whole goddamn thing.
Yes but I wasn't...see. I was not and many MORE of US were not. I doubt that i'm the only one in the whole world who would love to find out what really happened and to see some of the conversations, be they one sided or otherwise. So, declassify them, and let's get this settled.
06-04-09, 09:36 PM   #1485
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

If you don't like the ads, there's two really easy ways to get rid of them... become a site supporter or an author. I hate ads as much as anyone else, but it's really hard to make a good argument against them if you're not willing to fork over a few dollars now is it?
06-04-09, 09:38 PM   #1486
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Yes but I wasn't...see. I was not and many MORE of US were not. I doubt that i'm the only one in the whole world who would love to find out what really happened and to see some of the conversations, be they one sided or otherwise. So, declassify them, and let's get this settled.
As was said, links have been posted in this thread a few times. The big one you should read is the ace one, that's the ONLY time we've had any real interaction with WM, and what they said and the fact they up and turtled on us after it says a lot about them.
06-04-09, 09:38 PM   #1487
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Then don't use it. Problem solved.
So now is the pissiness again. Look, its a Beta. We're supposed to use and give feedback. I gave mine. You may worship those ads - wake up every morning and say a prayer to iContact and NOKIA, I don't know. but I don't! To me it's a "problem", a "malfunction" in the programming that MUST be fixed in order to be as good or better than WM.

Again, if WM can do without that, so can WoWi. Do YOU want those ads there? I really don't think you do.
06-04-09, 09:38 PM   #1488
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

/sigh

and because that post is too short,

/sigh again

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-04-09, 09:38 PM   #1489
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Then point and case...NO ONE can say for SURE that WoWi OR WM are being honest! I 'may' be able to, with regard to WM, but that will depend on what I can and cannot do, and on what additional info they are willing to share. But right now at this moment, the only reason people are supporting WoWI is because of...faith. I will be the first to say that I am not one to criticize people of faith, but I will also say that when it comes to stuff like this, I have learned not to trust people and put faith in unsubstantiated statements.
Not faith, experience. We have been doing battle with WoWMatrix for years. First they steal out work and claim all credit (thats right, they listed themselves as the authors of every mod they stole). Authors and community members try to contact them, and get no response. After a myriad of DCMA notices however they....

Move to deep linking directly from the sites which host these addons. Not only that, they don't even do it efficiently (read previous posts in this thread or on the WoW forums for a full description of how WoWMatrix works). Authors attempt to contact them to opt-out, and get: no response.

Finally WoWI and Curse boot 'em off the site. They tell us in advance "Hey its-a comin, and here's why". WoWMatrix supporters who have never even visited this site before come crawling out of the wood-work (you yourself said it took you a week to figure out what happened), and still WoWMatrix is silent.

Then two months later WoWMatrix finally releases this "FAQ" (which interestingly enough I can't find on their site anymore) claiming "Oh-my! We are so abused!", and not another word is heard from them.

In the meantime, WoWInterface has always been here for us. Straightforward, quick to respond. Working hard to keep everyone in the loop.

If choosing to trust WoWInterface over WoWMatrix is just "blind faith", I think I'll keep mine, thanks.
06-04-09, 09:39 PM   #1490
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
If you don't like the ads, there's two really easy ways to get rid of them... become a site supporter or an author. I hate ads as much as anyone else, but it's really hard to make a good argument against them if you're not willing to fork over a few dollars now is it?
But see, same thing again...then I have to pay. I don't have to pay for WM, and it's flash-ad free...just a few small links.
06-04-09, 09:40 PM   #1491
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So you want someone else, to go and conveniently copy paste the links to the history of this WM fiasco, again, for your convenience so you can sit here and spam your heart out?

Use the search feature, here, at Wowace, at Curse, and even in the official WoW forums. I don't remember the date it all started, but if you search in the order I listed, you will find the links already compiled for you.
06-04-09, 09:42 PM   #1492
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So now is the pissiness again. Look, its a Beta. We're supposed to use and give feedback. I gave mine. You may worship those ads - wake up every morning and say a prayer to iContact and NOKIA, I don't know. but I don't! To me it's a "problem", a "malfunction" in the programming that MUST be fixed in order to be as good or better than WM.

Again, if WM can do without that, so can WoWi. Do YOU want those ads there? I really don't think you do.

No, I don't like ads. I do like this site, though, hence the different color to my name. If you don't like the ads, there are two ways to remove them, without being a leech.
06-04-09, 09:43 PM   #1493
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

But see, same thing again...then I have to pay. I don't have to pay for WM, and it's flash-ad free...just a few small links.
And they didn't have to pay for the bandwidth their client used, so they probably never felt the need to get ads that paid them more? "Rich media" ads bring the site more money than simple text links do you know. Some places can't make ends meet with simple ads.
06-04-09, 09:44 PM   #1494
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Look it's like this (and I'm making a subtle hint here)

"I support "A", and anyone who doesn't, well they're idiots. If anyone calls me an idiot for supporting "A", then to hell with them, I'll trash on them all I want!"

When will this sort of childish attitude die? Seriously, I sit in SW and read the trade channel and have to leave it, because so much of this goes on.

"I'll say all the crap I want about whatever i want, but when someone stands up to me and starts giving me crap, they're wrong for doing it and deserve to be insulted, spit on, and treated like dirt!"

I suppose I could sit here and just throw out a bunch of insults to defend myself, but...tonight anyway, I think I'm better than that. I wish certain people (voodoodad particularly) would do the same for me.
06-04-09, 09:45 PM   #1495
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
And they didn't have to pay for the bandwidth their client used, so they probably never felt the need to get ads that paid them more? "Rich media" ads bring the site more money than simple text links do you know. Some places can't make ends meet with simple ads.
Yeah. funny thing is, now they're not "stealing" bandwidth, yet they aren't losing customers either. They're still pulling in users, even with less addons...AND more and more addons are being put on their server too.
06-04-09, 09:46 PM   #1496
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Look it's like this (and I'm making a subtle hint here)

"I support "A", and anyone who doesn't, well they're idiots. If anyone calls me an idiot for supporting "A", then to hell with them, I'll trash on them all I want!"

When will this sort of childish attitude die? Seriously, I sit in SW and read the trade channel and have to leave it, because so much of this goes on.

"I'll say all the crap I want about whatever i want, but when someone stands up to me and starts giving me crap, they're wrong for doing it and deserve to be insulted, spit on, and treated like dirt!"

I suppose I could sit here and just throw out a bunch of insults to defend myself, but...tonight anyway, I think I'm better than that. I wish certain people (voodoodad particularly) would do the same for me.
Hi pot, meet kettle.
06-04-09, 09:46 PM   #1497
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Why is it that you can't make any money without having these stupid flashing ads that are as big or bigger than other parts of the program? Your rival (you know who I'm talking about) has links - 5 of them - ALL pertaining to WOW...why do you have to show "summer sizzler" and "email marketing" and "LOTR" ads? If you think I'm lying about their program - download it and look at the links! There's 5, and they all pertain to WOW....NO gold spammers, NO garbage...just neat, clean, and simple. Why is it that you and Curse insist on having crap like this? You don't have to! If your rival doesn't have to - and if they are willing to host addons and do what ever it takes to help the author (now anyway), and they do NOT have to go crazy with ads and spam, then you can too!
This is constructive criticism? Basically you're saying "be more like WM!" instead of real suggestions on how to do what the program needs to do, you focus on the adds? How, in any way on God's green earth, is that being helpful?

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-04-09, 09:47 PM   #1498
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I've not been paying close attention to the others, but I'm not throwing out any insults, and you really haven't been either. You've presented your arguments for WM, and I've rebutted (huh huh butt) with my reason why I disagree.

Can you give us hard numbers of their users and the addons which were NOT added to their hosting because they were GPL or similar? They've been scraping (literally) for every last addon they can add, but how many AUTHORS have they won over?

If you want to read the little bit they said on ace, the links are on the second page of this here thread we're in: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...2&postcount=51
*edit* wait I don't think that's the right thread... ugh.

Last edited by Tekkub : 06-04-09 at 09:50 PM.
06-04-09, 09:48 PM   #1499
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
So you want someone else, to go and conveniently copy paste the links to the history of this WM fiasco, again, for your convenience so you can sit here and spam your heart out?

Use the search feature, here, at Wowace, at Curse, and even in the official WoW forums. I don't remember the date it all started, but if you search in the order I listed, you will find the links already compiled for you.
I don't care about posts - I want original stuff. I want to actually see the email sent by wowi ppl to wm, to which wm supposedly never responded. I want to see this. I'm not searching the posts because I've already done that, a long time ago. (though I never did do the wowace one...not thoroughly anyway. I was just there yesterday looking for atlasloot and did a "wowmatrix" search, but didn't find much).
06-04-09, 09:51 PM   #1500
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't care about posts - I want original stuff. I want to actually see the email sent by wowi ppl to wm, to which wm supposedly never responded. I want to see this. I'm not searching the posts because I've already done that, a long time ago. (though I never did do the wowace one...not thoroughly anyway. I was just there yesterday looking for atlasloot and did a "wowmatrix" search, but didn't find much).

Wish in one hand and crap in the other. Which will fill up the fastest? I think we all know the answer to that. The "proof" is in the pudding, and Tekkub ate all the damned pudding. It was bacon pudding, btw.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users