09-25-10, 04:29 PM   #1
Parekura
A Defias Bandit
Arrow Idea for a new addon; Is it possible or worth building?

Hey guys, I hope I am posting it in the right forum part. This is just a thought, an idea I came across and I wanted to ask if it is worth or possible to build such an addon. My only reason for it is to try and help improving the raiding community and make the players a bit more open minded than have the gearscore-tunnel-vision open.

Addon developing idea; ”PS or Performance Score”

I am not a technical person, I do not possess any technical knowledge of how to implement this idea into a practical use, so I would like to share my idea with you and if anyone is interested in taking the idea and making a project out of it, I think it would do WoW community a lot of good.
The idea comes from infinite Qqing in trade chat on my realm regardless the infamous Gearscore addon. Many players choose people for their raids based on certain gearscore lvl. There are many people in the raiding community on every server (at least that’s what I believe) that are good and skilled players but they are not being given a chance to join a raid if their gearscore isn’t high enough – if they aren’t in a raiding guild, that is.
The addon I thought about is supposed to measure the performance of the player and then rank that instead of gearscore.
I am aware that there is an addon that adds notes to people on friends list, but a friends list got a limit at some point and this is where this addon (if it can be done) will really shine. Allow me to explain;
Lets say for the sake of example that the addon exists and this is how I see it;
1. You see a player. You target the player, right-click on his name/icon to open the normal options window. There will be a ”rate player” option there. Click on it.
2. Once you clicked on ”rate player” option button it will open a small window with several questions and a vote in it. The vote will range from 0-10 (0 being a very bad player, unskilled, immature, annoying, ninja, etc, and 10 being the highest rank – very good and skilled player, etc). Select the number to cast the vote. Under the vote option there will be a few options to choose from that will focus more on what good or bad things you experienced from this player. For example; You can select; Ninja/Swear/Lootwhore/Fakes DC/Follows Instructions/Can Raid Lead and such. (these are just examples ofc.)
3. Once you selected your vote and the options below, the data will be saved into a global or server database (don’t really know how to explain that technical thing, but I hope you understand me.)
4. The next time someone with the addon hovers over that player, he will receive a score based on his performance.
The score itself will be calculated based on statistics which the developers (whoever takes over this project) decides to have.

In any future releases (if it happens at all) maybe there should be an option to add alts/main because it calculates the performance of the actual player rather than a virtual toon.

I am aware that some people might not take the addon seriously and use it for fun by bashing low vote casts for people they don’t like, and I’m afraid I didn’t figure out a way to overcome that problem yet, but think about it; Wouldn’t a performance score be much better and useful for judgement rather than gearscore?

Tell me what you think guys,
I appreciate your replies.
09-25-10, 05:08 PM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Jus one flaw ... you would have to trust people to enter an objective opinion.
And thats a problem. People are not objective ... if I dont like someone
its certain he will get bad votes from me, my friends, my family and so on

With that you could "ruin" a players fun in playing this game ... behind every char there is a person playing this game ... I dont think you go to school/work and put stickers on ppl so that others can see what you think about them
09-25-10, 05:13 PM   #3
Parekura
A Defias Bandit
I agree and as I wrote there, I know that there is a certain freedom of misusing it and I am not tagging anyone in real life, hehe, but I do want to make things a bit more easy and not so gear-oriented.

I am open to any suggestions and thanks for your reply
09-25-10, 05:54 PM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

While i share your desire to steer away from things like Gearscore and so on, the catch here is getting others to go along with it. As much as i dislike the abuse of the practice (in theory its a good idea, minus the people) Gear is one of the few things that you can physically measure based on simple numbers.

Hell even that is open to interpretation as there is certainly more than one gear scoring addon with its own "weighting" system.

The advice of many people who share the same views is to just find a good group/guild and work with like minded people. Trying to steer people away from gear scoring is going to be like trying the convince water to no be wet.

There are addons that can rate a player based on interaction with them.
Karma comes to mind though it does quite a bit more than allowing you to rate a player.

WoWLens allows for rating based on simple factors as well. It also communicates with others that use the addon.

Grouper is another option.

See if one of these suits your needs.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-25-10, 06:19 PM   #5
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Maybe Grapple is what you're looking for?
09-25-10, 07:37 PM   #6
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Starinnia View Post
Maybe Grapple is what you're looking for?
Oh please ...
1. Get a bunch of arbitrary constants to weigh combatlog events per class.
2. Massage the resulting score by applying a second set of arbitrary weights per role.
3. Add an incomplete list of raid afflictions
(known as "fails" from other mods but without any of the provisions of those other fail mods)
4. Add every other debuff affliction as a fail regardless if it is avoidable for your role or can be dispelled by your class.
5. Add taking damage as a fail (oh but if you're the tank you get a discounted negative score)
6. Massage your formulas to adjust the scores every time a user describes (with logs) how he did his job perfectly but was assigned a low score.
Player performance is measured against both general mathematical performance principles as well as specific sub-class standards (f.x. various talent builds and roles) and overall raid performance, or in short: Grapple shows how focused and responsive you perform in a fight compared to how you could perform.
Sorry but if I see one more "magic number tells the player" addon with a toothpaste commercial description I'm going to puke.
09-25-10, 07:44 PM   #7
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
There is already an AddOn that does this plus more.

Elitist Group
09-26-10, 12:10 AM   #8
Parekura
A Defias Bandit
Thank you all for all the replies and the addons suggestions. I'll check them out, thanks alot.

Edit; I checked the addons that you guys listed here and I'm glad that some people already made it happen.
Thanks for all guys, consider this post finished.

Last edited by Parekura : 09-26-10 at 12:26 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Idea for a new addon; Is it possible or worth building?