07-23-10, 09:42 AM   #641
Drazisil
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dralmoo View Post
Plus SC2 is coming out next week, if I were blizzard I'd be wary of changing anything to do with their auth code.
Yah, if they made a change that let our keys work and it rejected the SC2 game keys on lunch night... *shudders*

Last edited by Drazisil : 07-23-10 at 09:43 AM. Reason: smaller quote
07-23-10, 09:49 AM   #642
GT4
A Fallenroot Satyr
Even if the fix is simple, you have to realize this is one of the most critical pieces of code for their business - it's the code that decides if you own a game or not. I'm sure even if there is a fix done internally, it has to go through a lot of regression testing, and then who knows what their process is to push code live.

Plus SC2 is coming out next week, if I were blizzard I'd be wary of changing anything to do with their auth code.
Especially with SC2 coming out next week I'd push the team to fix possible errors with the game management as soon as possible, for two different reasons:
1) The same bug may occur when trying to insert your SC2 CD key. That would be devastating.
2) You do not want to have potential Battle.net downtimes just after the SC2 release.
07-23-10, 09:50 AM   #643
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Even if the fix is simple, you have to realize this is one of the most critical pieces of code for their business - it's the code that decides if you own a game or not. I'm sure even if there is a fix done internally, it has to go through a lot of regression testing, and then who knows what their process is to push code live.

They already totally changed the battle.net website yesterday (and by the looks of it, the auth code as well), what else can they do?
07-23-10, 10:02 AM   #644
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by omergurlek View Post
They already totally changed the battle.net website yesterday (and by the looks of it, the auth code as well), what else can they do?
Its the new site that is the issue
07-23-10, 10:18 AM   #645
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Kaidian View Post
Its the new site that is the issue
Yeah thats what I mean.

Dralmoo said they wouldn't attempt to touch the game auth codes when SC2 release was so close, but they already totally revamped the website yesterday, so why not?
07-23-10, 10:21 AM   #646
GT4
A Fallenroot Satyr
Yeah thats what I mean.

Dralmoo said they wouldn't attempt to touch the game auth codes when SC2 release was so close, but they already totally revamped the website yesterday, so why not?
They could break the broken site.
07-23-10, 10:28 AM   #647
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
Oh god!
07-23-10, 10:37 AM   #648
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
But if a broken website becomes broken.... does that mean that it's fixed?

Last edited by Icecoldcoke : 07-23-10 at 11:11 AM.
07-23-10, 10:49 AM   #649
Shadowkith
AtlasWorld Author

Yeah thats what I mean.

And what if the auth code mishap pertains to the SCII codes also. One how would they know now if I would. I would rather fix it now than come SCII release and those codes dont work also.
07-23-10, 10:54 AM   #650
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Hamstah-Emeriss View Post
I'd be very VERY cautious about where you get a downloader from - if it isn't from blizzard's official servers, there's a good chance it may contain keyloggers which may not even be caught by virus protection.

Better to just wait for the keys to start working.
Or just yank the .torrent file out and download the files with µTorrent. Or, even better, get a Mac.
07-23-10, 10:55 AM   #651
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Shadowkith View Post
And what if the auth code mishap pertains to the SCII codes also. One how would they know now if I would. I would rather fix it now than come SCII release and those codes dont work also.
Indeed. I'm all up for them fixing now!
07-23-10, 11:05 AM   #652
MouzArt
A Murloc Raider
Please be aware that we are having issues with players being able to claim Cataclysm beta keys currently for all regions. We are looking into this issue and will hopefully have a better update before the end of our day today. If you have given keys out to anyone, please have them hold on to them. The keys are not the problem and it seems to be an issue within the battle.net system. We’ll let you all know once this issue is resolved.
Quoted from WoWAce.com
07-23-10, 11:06 AM   #653
quicksylver
A Murloc Raider
Please be aware that we are having issues with players being able to claim Cataclysm beta keys currently for all regions. We are looking into this issue and will hopefully have a better update before the end of our day today. If you have given keys out to anyone, please have them hold on to them. The keys are not the problem and it seems to be an issue within the battle.net system. We’ll let you all know once this issue is resolved.
http://wow.curseforge.com/announceme...lysm-beta-key/

wow.curseforge.com is also affected by the same thing... So they're basically in the same boat as us.
07-23-10, 11:08 AM   #654
Dralmoo
A Murloc Raider
The new site has a lot of SC2 related features, so it had to launch before SC2. Clearly they tested sc2 keys, but not this type of Cata beta key. I'm just saying fixing fansite beta keys is probably not a huge priority under the circumstances, so if their is any risk to it, it may have to wait.

I don't have any inside info, I could be totally wrong, I certainly hope I am!
07-23-10, 11:10 AM   #655
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by quicksylver View Post
http://wow.curseforge.com/announceme...lysm-beta-key/

wow.curseforge.com is also affected by the same thing... So they're basically in the same boat as us.
That's a quote from Blizzard by the way. So now at least we know they are working on it

Hope you guys get your keys working soon
07-23-10, 11:15 AM   #656
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I would like to thank everyone for refraining from posting links or instructions *ahem* on obtaining illegitimate downloads of the beta client. So glad that our warning was heeded.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-23-10, 11:16 AM   #657
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The quote from Blizzard definitely makes it seem like our keys won't be fixed today.

But I suppose that's always how they word things so no one is like "BUT YOU SAID..."
07-23-10, 11:35 AM   #658
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Re launch the old battle.net site on a different URL to allow the keys to be redeemed.

How. Hard. Is. That?

Both existed for the last week quite happily anyway...
07-23-10, 11:39 AM   #659
Geneticus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile

I seriously doubt the key issue is coding related, it's more likely DB related.
Why I say this is:

Back in the day it was possible, given enough product keys, to reverse engineer the(or a portion of) base key and create a key generator that would allow you to unlock software from Windows, to games, to apps.
Eventually companies started logging the keys they generated and released for distribution, to prevent key generators from working on non released keys.

My theory is that they need to add the list of newly generated keys to bnet in order for them to be recognized as valid. This is probably a fairly simple db update, but they are also probably tracking other things associated with keys like curse vs wowi and some other things. I guess in a sense it's a coding issue since someone has to write the query to import the list, but for whatever reason it has to be manually added to the db and that takes a human.
More importantly it takes a human with the time in between the daily meetings "Should Semprini be a banned word" and "Why do the second floor toilets take more flushes then the 1st floor ones? - Did we break Gravity?"

It is also possible that the Key problems are caused by a vaccine(Jenny McCarthy's Beta Key) or Obama broke the key system when he faked his birth certificate.

Point is it doesn't matter what we think is the cause. It is what it is, and it will be fixed when it's fixed. In the mean time go outside and let your body soak up some natural light(not the beer).
07-23-10, 11:55 AM   #660
GT4
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Geneticus View Post
I seriously doubt the key issue is coding related, it's more likely DB related.
Why I say this is:

Back in the day it was possible, given enough product keys, to reverse engineer the(or a portion of) base key and create a key generator that would allow you to unlock software from Windows, to games, to apps.
Eventually companies started logging the keys they generated and released for distribution, to prevent key generators from working on non released keys.

My theory is that they need to add the list of newly generated keys to bnet in order for them to be recognized as valid. This is probably a fairly simple db update, but they are also probably tracking other things associated with keys like curse vs wowi and some other things. I guess in a sense it's a coding issue since someone has to write the query to import the list, but for whatever reason it has to be manually added to the db and that takes a human.
More importantly it takes a human with the time in between the daily meetings "Should Semprini be a banned word" and "Why do the second floor toilets take more flushes then the 1st floor ones? - Did we break Gravity?"

It is also possible that the Key problems are caused by a vaccine(Jenny McCarthy's Beta Key) or Obama broke the key system when he faked his birth certificate.

Point is it doesn't matter what we think is the cause. It is what it is, and it will be fixed when it's fixed. In the mean time go outside and let your body soak up some natural light(not the beer).
This doesn't make sense on so many levels.
What we know:
There haven't been any issues with keys a week ago.
In the last week, a new Battle.net site was published.
The new Battle.net site gives you an error that the key is no game key but an item key. This is not the standard error since when you enter a random 26 digits key it just says the key is not valid.
Blizzard stated the problem lies within Battle.net problems and not the keys themselves.
(Common sense tells you that Blizzard would properly enter the keys into the database before sending them. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed to wait so long for new keys because generating the alphanumeric codes doesn't take any significant amount of time.)

The most logical conclusion is that either the site is coded wrongly not to accept 25 digit keys as game keys or there is some other issue either in the new Battle.net code itself or the database connection.

Last edited by GT4 : 07-23-10 at 12:00 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!